View Single Post
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 12:02   #13
bitesize

bitesize is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fleet commanders

passport system - carrying advantage from one round to the next, NO.

Tietäjä's comments are very strong. as a former avid HOI player and current avid PA player i can see how PA can borrow strongly from this game dynamic.

but instead of % increases and decrease to dmg and arm, make them absolute (integer numbers to avoid decimal place hell).

to answer the comment about cath flaws - they would need the strongest cov-op commander killers/"make sick"ers and would have to become the games natural cov-oppers. to allow consistant denial of these traits to teh active caths.

i see the character of the commanders following the flavour of the race
eg
terran - strong defensive, weak offensive boosts
etc

the HOI connection would have worked very well when PA battles took place over multiple rounds and these ideas do have merits in todays game

i suggest a simple introduction
terran commander +1 arm
xan +1 Dam
Cath +2 arm
etd +3% emp res
zik + 3%regeneration of lost ships, in other words lose less ships when stealing.

something along those lines in a beta... might be interesting to see. balancing the advantages would be tough, thats why beta intro.
i can see the need for some sort of antidote to or detection of these commanders for the defending planet.

borrowing further from HOI, the commanders start at the lowest rank who can command fleets of small values to still gain the trait... they would have to trade in the xp for a increase in command rank to allow traits to carry forward to bigger fleet values.

my ideas are rubbish and not thought through at all... but the thread is stimulating and i would love to see some embyonic version coming through into the main game.
bitesize is offline   Reply With Quote