View Single Post
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 15:14   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: So everything has gone to hell (again) [uni]

I realised half way through my second year that my course was bollocks, so as expected I failed the year last summer.
I have since buggered off on an industry placement (where I am now) although it's unofficial as I didn't pass the year, so as far as the uni are concerned it's a leave of absence. I don't give a shit though, because future employers are more interested that I've got the experience than interested in some crappy certificate from the uni to say I kept a diary while I was at work.

In October I start another second year on a different derivation of my original course which is much more like what I want to be doing (almost no maths for starters, and lots of nice essays. I like essays) although as I've already passed half the modules for it last year I won't be terribly busy. I'll probably get a job too.

The final "cost" of this is that:
a) I've lost the opportunity to get a certificate for my year in industry (oh noes!!) which I count as a plus because now I don't have to keep the stupid diary.
b) I have an extra year at uni (not too bad as it won't be very intensive and I can earn cash on the side)
c) For that extra year I will not get tuition fee support (big deal, I wouldn't get it anyway as my parents are over the earnings threshold)

I'm actually quite looking forward to having another year at uni, and in short ****ing up is not as bad as you might think. In terms of what to say in your interviews after you graduate regarding your extra year, it's pretty easy to spin it into a positive light:

"Well, I came to realise that the course wasn't what I was looking for. Rather than drop out, I decided it made sense to stick with it and get the credits for the modules that were common between the current course and the course I had decided to transfer to.
I then went on my industrial placement, during which I learnt several new skills including x, y and z.
Returning after the summer for the second year of the new course, I put my free time to good use and got a job to support myself and to put money towards paying back my student loan..."

...etc.
You get the idea.