View Single Post
Unread 7 Oct 2010, 09:03   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

A quick response (kinda busy at work)

Jagex is a reasonably big company, with 400+ people. If anything, we really announced the sale far too soon, but we had to migrate the servers and so we decided to let you know that we'd been purchased. When this was announced, the CEO had literally just signed with Pete. I doubt there were more than 5 people in Jagex who knew that they'd just purchased Planetarion.

They got a few people together to start looking at the game. The first priority was to get Planetarion moved onto their new servers, which has been successfully completed*.

They then had to make a business plan and submit it for approval to gain additional personel as required. This isn't regarding game mechanics as much as identifying key areas of the game that need improving before they have millions of people linked to it. I'm sure you can guess many of the areas (e.g. new user support). They aren't willing to fully integrate the game until they're sure that, if 50,000 players sign up in 3-4 days, the game can handle it and the support is there to handle the players. This won't be in place until sometime next year.

These processes have all been going on over the couple of months. More and more key people are in place and starting to work, though it won't be on Round 39. Round 40/41 will have more changes from Jagex, and by the middle of next year we should be looking at integrating Planetarion with the Jagex portal.

This is partly my fault, as I've emphasised in the past that owners have come in promising everything and delivering nothing. They're not promising anything; they'd prefer to let their delivery do the talking. I think they'd not prefer to say "ok, we're doing this" and then have to backtrack at a later date. They want to plan twice, announce once, or whatever.
However, I know that the majority of those involved from the Jagex point of view read the forums.

I will try and ask for more of a visible presence from their side over this round; they're not used to being quite so close to the community.

The up side of Jagex owning us is that when they get started, things will happen and there will be a lot of stability and things will be done properly. The down side is that things do take a lot more time as there isn't just a small team of people doing everything.

*The new hardware is far superior. Ticks have never been so fast - the longest tick last round post migration was under 20 seconds. If you include the havoc ticks that ran the same time as a complete game backup, it was still under 30 seconds. that's probably 1/10th of what they were in the past.