Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Help Desk (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Why cant i set my Avatar?!" READ (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192139)

Ultimate Newbie 31 Aug 2006 07:04

"Why cant i set my Avatar?!" READ

Hello.

Avatars are little images that go below your username to add a little customisability and colour the the planetarion forums. However, in an attempt at discouraging abuse, you need to fulfill certain criteria before the feature becomes enabled.

The Criteria;
Number of Posts = 1000
OR
When number of posts = 50 and reputation = 1000
OR
When number of posts = 50 and Days registered = 365

If you do not fit any of the above, then you will not be able to set an avatar untill you do fit those criteria.

Once you do fit the bill, click on the "User CP" button, "Edit Avatar" button, and follow the directions.

Thankyou for your time.

MEX 16 Oct 2006 07:34

Re: "Why cant i set my Avatar?!" READ

To get an avatar as fast as possible, you have to spam at least 1000 posts ?

For what do you get reputation ?

MfG, MEX

Ultimate Newbie 17 Oct 2006 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEX
To get an avatar as fast as possible, you have to spam at least 1000 posts ?

No. Not "spam", as that implies posting numerous poor quality posts. Depending on how bad those posts are, you might find that they get deleted by other moderators as not being appropriate. However, 1000 reasonable and/or thoughtful and/or on-topic posts will give you an avatar.

That, or as the first thread said, 1000 Reputation/50 Posts, OR 365 Days/50 Posts.

Quote:

For what do you get reputation ?
Reputation on these forums are small, largely insignficant rewards for good posts. For example, if i make a post and heaps of people thought it was awesome, then it is probable that i would receive "positive" reputation from it. If i posted on GD, however, it is probable that i would receive "negative" reputation from that post (Yes, that was a pretty lame joke). Positive reputation is a way for people to communicate to posters that they approve of what is being said, or wish to reward posters for well thought out or enlightening or detailed posts and the like, whereas negative reputation is for punishing bad posters. Additionally, you can post a comment to the person whilst assigning them positive or negative reputation; comment and "signing" the reputation in the note is to be encouraged.

You can add/remove reputation by pressing the little +/- box below people's Avatars at the bottom left of all posts.

Enjoy :).

MEX 31 Oct 2006 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
..., 1000 Reputation/50 Posts, ...

And where can i see how much of the 1000 Reputaition i still need to get an avatar ?

MfG, MEX

Phil^ 31 Oct 2006 13:10

your profile/user cp page

Ultimate Newbie 31 Oct 2006 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEX
And where can i see how much of the 1000 Reputaition i still need to get an avatar ?

MfG, MEX

Indeed, you should just be able to click the "User CP" buttons, or follow This Link; On that page you will be able to see things like new Private Messages, access other things like your Signature, and it should display the amount of reputation received in total and some recent reputation you;ve sent out.

eg; "Latest Reputation Received ... 2541 points total" - when that reaches 1000 AND you have 50 posts, the avatar option will become available.

RexDrax 1 Nov 2006 19:43

Or be an old fart like me :yawn:

Stick around the forums long enough so that you pass the 365 day mark. Takes no effort at all, you just sit there and accumulate the days.

emux 4 Jan 2007 15:01

ok ty very much its time to farm post then

_Kila_ 6 Jan 2007 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by emux
ok ty very much its time to farm post then

That's the wrong way to go dude, just post good quality posts and get some positive rep or something (although people seem to be more reluctant to give positive rep nowadays)
Or just post 1000 constructive posts instead.

emux 6 Jan 2007 21:59

ok i will farm rep then... im here only to set a straight cool fashion avatar.

P.S.: givf rep pls :D

Rinoa 14 Apr 2007 21:31

Had my avatar 4.5 Years and counting :)

furball 14 Apr 2007 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoa
Had my avatar 4.5 Years and counting :)

No you didn't. Avatars weren't made available to the general forum population until mid-2004.

Soulblighter 18 Jun 2007 17:02

Now it makes sense :p. I wanted to use a TFD avatar, but couldn't find out what in heavens name I was doing wrong :D. Glad I only need to post like a 1000 times to get my avatar...

Kaiba 25 Dec 2010 15:11

Still think this is quite a big ask for some ppl - 1000 posts or a year to wait to put up a picture is a lot - maybe halving it would be helpful

Dark-Strider 25 Dec 2010 15:22

But then the people with Avatars can't feel elitist!

Kaiba 25 Dec 2010 15:23

but i want an avatar and i dont wanna wait for another 5 months :(

Dark-Strider 25 Dec 2010 15:28

Is that why you spammed the forums?

Kaiba 25 Dec 2010 15:29

1000 posts are needed and fast!!

Dark 5 Jan 2011 10:14

Thank you for this thread. I was a little confused but now I understand. :up:

Oh and P.(to-the).S. Kai talks nothing but crap normally from what I've garnered so spam is his normal method of communication.

JK Kai :P

Reincarnate 21 Jan 2011 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie (Post 3056499)
Hello.

Avatars are little images that go below your username to add a little customisability and colour the the planetarion forums. However, in an attempt at discouraging abuse, you need to fulfill certain criteria before the feature becomes enabled.

The Criteria;
Number of Posts = 1000
OR
When number of posts = 50 and reputation = 1000
OR
When number of posts = 50 and Days registered = 365

If you do not fit any of the above, then you will not be able to set an avatar untill you do fit those criteria.

Once you do fit the bill, click on the "User CP" button, "Edit Avatar" button, and follow the directions.

Thankyou for your time.

These rules seem somewhat Draconian.

DoDDy 27 Mar 2011 12:20

that sux tbh, 1) it will encourage more spam in the forum in the quest for a avatar

2) my rep is poor :D