Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who here has soft lenses (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=185980)

Knight Theamion 14 Jun 2005 13:08

Who here has soft lenses

Now with my briljant eye-sight I need lensesnothing terrible 'bout that, but how long can you manage with one pair of month lenses, now don't say 'they are called month lenses for a reason you know' because I got that far myself, but I've been using this pair for a while now, no clue how long but they haven't start irritating yet et cetera.
Going to get myself some new ones before going on holiday, but apperently, lenses are one of my 'financial cut back' areas

KoeN 14 Jun 2005 13:12

Re: Who here has soft lenses

me.

6 months, 12h a day max.

go to 'Hans Anders' (lol). 37,50 euros per pair.

Knight Theamion 14 Jun 2005 13:13

I am at 'pearl' at the moment and the given ratio is 3 months with 1 month lenses, up to 18 hours before irritating. Had Hans Anders (lollyroffle) they are cheap ass annoying lenses.

pablissimo 14 Jun 2005 13:20

I eagerly await the Theamion-authored best-selling thread:

So I'm blind then.

A harrowing tale of a clown who was too cheap to spend money on contacts, preferring instead to present lavish hockey sticks to 16 year olds in exchange for fellatio.

Dead_Meat 14 Jun 2005 13:23

As for how long to wear monthlies, I'd say 3 months is way over the top and to wear lenses for 18hrs is also much too long. It's not so much about the irritation, it's about the buildup of crap on the lens that you won't be able to see, but is a breeding ground for you to get conjunctivitis and eye-AIDS.

Seriously, I know it's a cliche, but you do only get one pair of eyes, and trying to save money by abusing them is not the way forward.
Try to save money by abusing under-age school-girls, rather than having to spend money on taking real women out for drinks and such.

Also, in a desparate effort to add some much-needed Hockey into this thread, I will suggest that playing with glasses on is not a good idea.

Belgarath The Sorcerer 14 Jun 2005 13:24

I just got contacts this week, I'm on the 1-day Acuvue. Can't even tell I've got them in really.

pablissimo 14 Jun 2005 13:24

Additionally, whilst it may seem obvious you cannot actually substitute 16 year olds or hockey for contact lenses, no matter how transparent both appear to be.

JC 14 Jun 2005 13:33

Go with the disposable daily ones, they are much better than the more permenant ones.

Dead_Meat 14 Jun 2005 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
I just got contacts this week, I'm on the 1-day Acuvue. Can't even tell I've got them in really.

Poke yourself in the eye, if they're in, you won't feel it.

Go on Belgy, I can see you sat there in your chair, torn between doing what someone tells you to do on the Internet and refusing because it's silly, isn't it?
"Why should I do something because someone on a forum suggests it", but, you know at the back of your mind, a little voice is saying "Do it, do it, do it, see if he's right", and you know you'll give in to the voice, but I know you Belgy, you'll do it, but you won't post a reply so say you did and admit your shame in doing something because someone asked you to.
You're WEAK, you KNOW you are, so go on, just stick that pudgy, pie-covered little finger into your eye.*

* OK, so the whole thing was so I could get a pie reference in. Sue me.

Knight Theamion 14 Jun 2005 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
Go with the disposable daily ones, they are much better than the more permenant ones.

Yeah, most likely going to do this.

KoeN 14 Jun 2005 14:18

what are your plans for the weekend btw?

(read your mail).

Nusselt 14 Jun 2005 14:25

ive got a phobia about the lenses coming off and getting stuck in the back of my eye, my optician says that it would only be a little uncomdortable and they can't go anywhere since theres muscle all round the back, but that 'little uncomfortable' sounds horrendus.

JC 14 Jun 2005 14:33

Sticking a damaged contact in your eye and then shredding your eye to pieces is uncomfortable. Thats why i go with the daily ones now.

pablissimo 14 Jun 2005 14:40

Yeah, a few times I've put one in that's had a tiny nick at the edge that I've not noticed and it's been nothing but scratchy all day, which then ****s you up for the next couple days as your cornea recovers.

Plus when it's high pollen they used to make my eyes look like they were actually bleeding, so I stopped.

Yahwe 14 Jun 2005 15:02

I may well be the only one on the internet who can see unaided

Tomkat 14 Jun 2005 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nusselt
ive got a phobia about the lenses coming off and getting stuck in the back of my eye, my optician says that it would only be a little uncomdortable and they can't go anywhere since theres muscle all round the back, but that 'little uncomfortable' sounds horrendus.

It's pretty much impossible for that to happen.

If you really want to get one out from the back, you can. You just close your eyes, roll them so you look down (or up), and rub the other way. The contact works its way out.

I think the longest I've worn my month-lenses is about 2 months. I wear them every day, for about 8 hours a day on average though. Longest I've worn them is probably about 20 hours.

Appocomaster 14 Jun 2005 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer

Yes, I still have a stack of these. I gave up wearing them because I had to put them in and take them out, and that involves walking upstairs. Generally as long as you wear them for less than half a week they're more cost effective than other lenses. I think the maximum length of time I was giving for wearing them was 12-14 hours, so when you go out at night you just don't put them in till the afternoon. When you get up ;).
On the subject of contact lenses damaging your eyes, my dad's still got hard lenses, god knows when he last changed them, he cleans them more with spit than with the stuff you're meant to clean them with, and he's been fine for 30 years. We're still not sure how, though.

Aryn 14 Jun 2005 15:51

well.. let's just say i don't take as good care of my eyes as i should be.
as DM suggested i probably have eye-AIDS :P
longest i've worn my contacts was 3 months. i slept in them and everything. contacts have never hurt my eyes unless they've got a nick on the edge or dirt gets in them. and they don't get 'stuck' either like they do for some people. ah well.

Thermodynamics 14 Jun 2005 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Yes, I still have a stack of these. I gave up wearing them because I had to put them in and take them out, and that involves walking upstairs.

Tis why I gave up wearing them too, I always forgot whether I was wearing them or not which led to too many uncomfortable eye-poking sessions. So I just stick to my glasses now.

Marilyn Manson 14 Jun 2005 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
Now with my briljant eye-sight I need lensesnothing terrible 'bout that, but how long can you manage with one pair of month lenses, now don't say 'they are called month lenses for a reason you know' because I got that far myself, but I've been using this pair for a while now, no clue how long but they haven't start irritating yet et cetera.
Going to get myself some new ones before going on holiday, but apperently, lenses are one of my 'financial cut back' areas

What the **** are you talking about?

LHC 14 Jun 2005 16:55

Laser surgery for a successful life :up:.

Marilyn Manson 14 Jun 2005 16:57

Laser surgery can go wrong I hear.

Ärketrollmannen 14 Jun 2005 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Theamion

You realise you could go allergic to your own lenses?

Myself I use siliconlenses, wich means I have them 24/7 for a month, and then I chuck them and go without lenses for a day, then I open up a new pair.

I have kept my lenses for 6 weeks as a maximum, wich rendered me poor eyesight for two days.

So now I take care of my eyes.

Appocomaster 14 Jun 2005 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Laser surgery can go wrong I hear.

It used to go wrong, because they cut the slot in your cornea horizontally, so after time it fell down. Now they do it vertically, with the "hinge" at the top.
Don't know why they didn't do that in the first place, tbh. I don't know how people keep their eyes open while it's being done though.
"Hold still, we're just going to shine a laser in your eye for a few minutes. Don't blink, you'll cut your eyelid in half." etc..

Appocomaster 14 Jun 2005 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Tis why I gave up wearing them too, I always forgot whether I was wearing them or not which led to too many uncomfortable eye-poking sessions. So I just stick to my glasses now.

I can see why you do it, but it still strikes me as funny :D. Mirrors would be a better idea ;)*. Or putting your hand across your eyes, or sliding a finger down in front of your ear, or ... the list is endless, but I have to admit I've forgotten a few times and almost poked myelf in the eye too, as it's the first thing you do.

*no that's not meant to be a poor effort at illustrating someone poking themself in the eye

Entium 14 Jun 2005 17:36

I'm using hard lenses, around 14-16 hours a day.
I usually exchange them all 2-3 years as the dioptre changes slightly :(.

Thermodynamics 14 Jun 2005 18:30

Quote:

It used to go wrong, because they cut the slot in your cornea horizontally, so after time it fell down. Now they do it vertically, with the "hinge" at the top.
Don't know why they didn't do that in the first place, tbh. I don't know how people keep their eyes open while it's being done though.
"Hold still, we're just going to shine a laser in your eye for a few minutes. Don't blink, you'll cut your eyelid in half." etc..

Anaesthetic. The region around your eyes is injected with some form of it to stop you.

Demon Dave 14 Jun 2005 19:53

I have hard lenses. They're stuck in oval shaped pieces of metel and are about 5cm away from the front of my eyes. There's no way in hell i'm going to be sticking anything into my eyes thankyouverymuch

Belgarath The Sorcerer 14 Jun 2005 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Go on Belgy, I can see you sat there in your chair, torn between doing what someone tells you to do on the Internet and refusing because it's silly, isn't it?

I actually went to work after I posted my reply. And I'd already taken them out. Plus I wouldn't have done it anyway.

Quote:

Yes, I still have a stack of these. I gave up wearing them because I had to put them in and take them out, and that involves walking upstairs. Generally as long as you wear them for less than half a week they're more cost effective than other lenses. I think the maximum length of time I was giving for wearing them was 12-14 hours, so when you go out at night you just don't put them in till the afternoon.

Well i have stairs in my house ( ;) ) and it doesn't/won't bother me. I plan on only wearing them maybe 2/3 times a week when I'm going out. I was told 12-14 hours also.

midge5 14 Jun 2005 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
I may well be the only one on the internet who can see unaided

For now I'm with you but I'm surprised I haven't managed to screw up my eyes over the years.

Androme 14 Jun 2005 23:19

I'm not allowed the continuous 24/7 use pairs because supposedly my eyes are not connected to an artery that would supply oxygen to them, regardless of the fact the continuous one's allow up to 6x more oxygen to pass through so I'm still on the soft lenses. Am only meant to wear them for a max of 10 hours a day and for 5 days a week but I extend that. They're also a bitch in that they have to be washed in morning and in night in the saline solution and the tiniest of lil hairs is a bitch to spot before it's in your eye and your eyes are watering with irritation while going a bloody red. I'm also losing one contact lens every now and again as when it's going into my eye it falls off my finger - unfortunately the flooring is the same colour literally as my blue contact lens and so it's near to impossible to find before it dries out and shrivels rendering it useless to wear.

I'm hoping to save up for laser treatment though...£600 per eye?

Nusselt 15 Jun 2005 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Anaesthetic. The region around your eyes is injected with some form of it to stop you.

That just stops you fretting whats about to happen.

They take metal prongs and physically hold your eye lids apart :(

http://www.canoe.ca/CHealthImages00/0410_eyesurgery.jpg

Thermodynamics 15 Jun 2005 12:16

yes that too- but i think the injection is to stop your eyes actually moving at all. I'm only squemish when it comes to eyes, brains or testicles. Horrific stuff thinking about laser eye surgery.

On a somewhat unrelated note, there is a new treatment fo PArkinson's disease. It involves electrodes being implanted into your brain, which realise a very mild electric shock preiodically, which apperently helps to keep certain parts of your brain in top-notch shape. A thermocouple is then wired to it, and the thermocouple is placed beside your heart, to power it.

Now for the nasty part.

All this is done while you are fully conscious. This is so the surgeon can map out your brain ie. which parts control what so he can avoid seriously damaging you. You have no sensory nerves in your brain, but just the thought of lying there while a surgeon implants things into my brain.

*I can't bear to think about it......I'm going for a walk to try rid mysself of this thought.

madi 15 Jun 2005 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ärketrollmannen

Myself I use siliconlenses, wich means I have them 24/7 for a month, and then I chuck them and go without lenses for a day, then I open up a new pair.

I have kept my lenses for 6 weeks as a maximum, wich rendered me poor eyesight for two days.

So now I take care of my eyes.

i wear all day and night lenses too
but after 6 weeks continuous wear (moved house and missed delivery) i had no ill effects

(if i dont take off my eye make up before going to bed my eyes are gritty in the morning
but a squirt of saline solution fixes that straight away)

m
xx

NEWSBOT3 15 Jun 2005 13:29

oh hey madi is still alive :)

Thermodynamics 16 Jun 2005 22:50

I've gone and lost my glasses... though I rarely wear them out, and yes I have often flagged down the wrong bus, but the eye-poking was just too painful!

Ärketrollmannen 17 Jun 2005 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by madi
i wear all day and night lenses too
but after 6 weeks continuous wear (moved house and missed delivery) i had no ill effects

(if i dont take off my eye make up before going to bed my eyes are gritty in the morning
but a squirt of saline solution fixes that straight away)

m
xx

What make are you using?

It obviously all depends on the season, and where you are. My university is pretty well airconditioned, wich makes the air dry, wich makes my eyes go drier etc.

Overall UK (I presume you lvie there) is damper than Sweden, wich is better for you eyes.

And I don't use makeup so I can't really make any "fell asleep wich makeup and woke up with black bits in my eye", but I guess the makeup can carry infections. I presume there are special rules for it, that you have to chuck it away after using it for so many weeks/months?