Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Alliance Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Denial HCs Round 27 (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196659)

CBA 22 Jun 2008 10:24

Denial HCs Round 27

Do As I Say Not As I Do!!!!

Kargool 22 Jun 2008 10:55

Re: Denial HCs Round 27

How can anyone decide to exploit a coding loophole instead of reporting it. Im disgusted, so should the Denial members be.

Spritfire 22 Jun 2008 11:28

"Cheating Denied" :salute:

MaVeRiXX 22 Jun 2008 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritfire
"Cheating Denied" :salute:

I bet They are in Denial...

Assassin 22 Jun 2008 11:40

Amusingly if they dont see this as cheating i find it amusing. I hope of course they are not been re-oppend/given a second chance. If you exploit somthing without reporting it its cheating. plain and simple. And if your caught you need to be punished. Dont know of course all the details, all im hearing is rumours and gossip so far. But, if this is true that the HC of Denial have infact abused a loophole and exploited it for their own needs and then that is cheating and should remain closed. End off tbh.

Spritfire 22 Jun 2008 11:41

Or reset... but thats happening allready

gzambo 22 Jun 2008 11:42

multihunters need to show some balls and delete them they cheated end of

Assassin 22 Jun 2008 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spritfire
Or reset... but thats happening allready

I wouldnt even do that tbh. How can a memberbase expect to play fairly if their own HC dont respect those values? I would keep them closed.

tobbe 22 Jun 2008 12:06

WIN for denial! smart move!

Willzzz 22 Jun 2008 12:11

I just laughed reading this thread. So. What bug have they abused? As im not on irc i dont know anthing other then what is posted here. Who is closed? lets name and shame them :p

But i do agree if they have been closed then they should remain closed.

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 12:17

If they have exploited something ( which is clearly for their own gain ) they should be closed and left closed.

lokken 22 Jun 2008 12:30

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of players.

CBA 22 Jun 2008 12:37

i too scared to name and shame or comment on whats happen incase i get something wrong and look like an idiot..

all i am willing to say is Denial HCs been bad, very bad,, bug abusers!!!!
but apparantly they not even bug abusing like little bugs they actually
hackz0red the game in some way or another :| html coding blah blah?

some ugly woman with some merry men the ones who got closed tho *apparantly*

this what i hear

but

Denial bug abuse > Ascendancy bug abuse?

CBA 22 Jun 2008 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of players.

fair comment, but it coulda happend to you lokken!!! and your little bumbandits allymates!!!

Gary 22 Jun 2008 12:47

So what exactly did they do?

gzambo 22 Jun 2008 12:47

reese eskero koks and venox are denial hc so was it just some of them or all of them

when will the denial trolling squad show up to fight there cause

jerome 22 Jun 2008 12:54

venox is still open, so not him. they used greasemonkey to edit their factory counts in orders to zero.

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 12:56

Utter rank incompetance in the coder
There is no excuse whatsoever for this bug

CBA 22 Jun 2008 13:00

All Denial associates have been banned from talking on AD

Mzyxptlk 22 Jun 2008 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willzzz
I just laughed reading this thread. So. What bug have they abused? As im not on irc i dont know anthing other then what is posted here. Who is closed? lets name and shame them :p

But i do agree if they have been closed then they should remain closed.

Denial HCs Koks, Reese and eksero used a browser hack to modify the number of factories on prod orders. eksero lost all this res/xp/ships, and as far as I know Koks and Reese are still closed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil^

Agreed. The previous eta never bug was also caused by a complete lack of server-side checking.

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Agreed. The previous eta never bug was also caused by a complete lack of server-side checking.

It sounds like a nasty pattern. I wonder what else isnt checked server-side.

Hint to whoever coded it.
When you recieve a post form for production orders ( or indeed anything ), you dont trust anything that is submitted.
You find out *yourself* from the database for anything that is needed, such as number of factories that the person has.
You check *yourself* from the database that there are enough resources to build the requested ships
You check *yourself* to see if there are enough production slots
You never ever ever accept verbitem anything that is sent from the client, and absolutely never ever ever ever ever assemble an sql string directly from data submitted without doing checks on it or you open yourself up to sql injection attacks if not using prepared statements, which i doubt you are.

Game^ 22 Jun 2008 13:12

Quote:

He gets paid too :crymeariver: :crymeariver:

[DDK]gm 22 Jun 2008 13:15

accessing other alliances tools accounts last round and now this, good honest people then!!

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 13:47

Denial members might want to consider new HCs or a new alliance...

CBA 22 Jun 2008 13:49

Quote:

Denial members might want to consider new HCs or a new alliance...

any suggestions?

Ultimate Newbie 22 Jun 2008 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBA
any suggestions?

Vision! :D

You know we'll win anyway :p

Aedolaws 22 Jun 2008 14:08

They should get punished for getting caught. Idiots! Learn your lesson! If u find an exploit, then keep it secret! If you get caught, deny, deny, deny! That is what the system forces you to do! Blame the game!!!

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aedolaws
They should get punished for getting caught. Idiots! Learn your lesson! If u find an exploit, then keep it secret! If you get caught, deny, deny, deny! That is what the system forces you to do! Blame the game!!!

:rolleyes:
Someone to pre-emptively close i suspect :)

Aedolaws 22 Jun 2008 14:28

Nah, that Asc HC forced me to write that. I am just a messenger.

lokken 22 Jun 2008 14:31

You spoke to all 58 HC?

That's pretty good going man.

Aedolaws 22 Jun 2008 14:35

Thats a trick question.

Threads 22 Jun 2008 15:58

i hope this isn't true

stay_posi 22 Jun 2008 16:01

Accounts should stay closed rest of round.

I also suggest jail time

VenoX 22 Jun 2008 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay_posi
Tag should be removed/disbanded, accounts should stay closed rest of round.

What has this got to do with Denial members in general? Why should they be punished for the actions of a few people? Lets keep things in perspective here people, this isnt a ****ing witch hunt.

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by stay_posi
Tag should be removed/disbanded, accounts should stay closed rest of round.

Anything shorter than that would be ridiculous. They're the HC's ffs

Disagree.
They should be closed and left closed. anything more is overkill and anything less is worthless.
Since it would probably cripple the alliance, tag wise if the hc accounts were deleted they might want to assign someone else to be a HC of the alliance for the time being.

Achilles 22 Jun 2008 16:17

VenoX is right, punish the offenders only. In my opinion they should remain closed for the remainder of the round though, which doesn't seem to be the case.

@Phil: VenoX is HC and appears to be clean in all of this so the tag should not be affected in any case.

Gate 22 Jun 2008 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenoX
What has this got to do with Denial members in general? Why should they be punished for the actions of a few people? Lets keep things in perspective here people, this isnt a ****ing witch hunt.

I agree with you.

But I'd like to know if I get a present because my galmates got closed. That kinda punishes me and I didn't do anything wrong. :(

lokken 22 Jun 2008 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenoX

Well the question is to what extent you and your HC endorsed it. In my view "turning a blind eye" even if you are an HC isn't acceptable for such a level of insitutional cheating. If there is a certain level of endorsement, then in my opinion the whole HC is responsible, not just those actively involved. They are all more than welcome to sign up new accounts and play fairly, of course. Ultimately HC's are responsible to prevent such incidents from happening and if they are even acquiescing to it, I think they should be punished for it.

Removing the denial tag is irrelevant.

Game^ 22 Jun 2008 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
Well the question is to what extent you and your HC endorsed it. In my view "turning a blind eye" even if you are an HC isn't acceptable for such a level of insitutional cheating. If there is a certain level of endorsement, then in my opinion the whole HC is responsible, not just those actively involved. They are all more than welcome to sign up new accounts and play fairly, of course. Ultimately HC's are responsible to prevent such incidents from happening and if they are even acquiescing to it, I think they should be punished for it.

Removing the denial tag is irrelevant.

I'm not actually sure what point you are making here Lok, are you trying to say that VenoX and everyone else in Denial who knew anything about what was happening should be closed or? Personally I'd imagine they have been screwed over enough by them already, wouldn't you?

lokken 22 Jun 2008 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game^
I'm not actually sure what point you are making here Lok, are you trying to say that VenoX and everyone else in Denial who knew anything about what was happening should be closed or? Personally I'd imagine they have been screwed over enough by them already, wouldn't you?

Not at all.

But HC are clearly responsible, as they are responsible for their alliance and ultimately the institutional conduct of their members. Which is different to an ordinary peon, as they aren't responsible for anyone else apart from themselves. HC determine the rules of a hierarchical organisation, not members. So on that basis, all of the HC and the members directly responsible seems pretty fair. It would be the same for directors of a company.

gzambo 22 Jun 2008 19:52

dumb question but what about the people that were affected by their cheating , eg someone landing on them with their production bug and losing their ships are they gonna be compensated

CBA 22 Jun 2008 20:08

quite simply blame Kenny for this madness

Gary 22 Jun 2008 20:21

I dunno, they did better when Kenny was around cutting his shit videos :|

zebra 22 Jun 2008 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DDK]gm
accessing other alliances tools accounts last round and now this, good honest people then!!

Phil^ 22 Jun 2008 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzambo
dumb question but what about the people that were affected by their cheating , eg someone landing on them with their production bug and losing their ships are they gonna be compensated

I would think not. Would *you* like to identify everyone potentially affedted.

Mzyxptlk 22 Jun 2008 23:26

Hey guys, guess who's back?

Some highlights:

(@Reese) A PA SUPPORT TEAM MEMBER told us this was okay
That was koks, who also happens to be Denial HC, but that clearly has nothing to do with anything.

(@Reese) this was a practice that had gone basically the last 5+ rounds
Haha.

(@Reese) we were under the impression this was no different that setting a order to "never" had been done in the past
Who would have thought that exploiting a loophole by using an external plugin to change the HTML code would be against the rules!

(@Reese) im not gonna name the other members
In accordance with the principle of name and shame, I am happy to tell you that one of the other people that got closed was Fuzzy (though the less informed among you might know him better under the name of el-"I never cheat"-viz).

Benneh 22 Jun 2008 23:38

The world would be far less informed if it wasnt for you mz :hugs:

SteInMetz 22 Jun 2008 23:39

Since im such a perfect person, ill just say that they never changed any html to do this!

They changed a HTTP request to the server, either POST or GET. I havent bothered checking too much about it tbh.

All in all, it lacked serverside checking and you could change it to what you wanted clientside..

I'm quite sure it could be used the other way around aswell, use more factories than you had.. Did anyone test that btw?

Mzyxptlk 22 Jun 2008 23:41

Clicking the "back" button on your browser basically accomplishes that. You force a revert to a previous version of the page, thereby circumventing the client-side checking. Since there was no server-side checking, you could basically do whatever you like.

Note that this is a far cry from actually engineering a page or request for yourself.

zebra 22 Jun 2008 23:54

Quote:

(@Reese) our planets have been reset so that we can continue to manage the alliance
(@Reese) it was the decision of the MH to perm close the other people who were using this method
(@Reese) the reason we were reset was so that we could manage the alliance
So become HC of an ally and you can get out of a permanent closure?