Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [Football]England Manager (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187293)

Reidy 7 Sep 2005 23:32

[Football]England Manager

got to b bryan robson

furball 7 Sep 2005 23:34

Re: [Football]England Manager

Nope, too inexperienced in management.

McClaren or Curbishley.

Reidy 7 Sep 2005 23:39

has to b an ex-top class england player for me tho.. psycho or my choice robbo

shame tony adams became a bit shit at management

1-X 7 Sep 2005 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportinglife.com
Sven-Goran Eriksson has vowed not to resign following England's defeat to Northern Ireland in a World Cup qualifier in Belfast.

Travelling fans were heard chanting for Eriksson's dismissal at the end of the game settled by David Healy's winner.

When asked about the fans' chants, the England boss said: "Understandable. If you lose to Northern Ireland, I can't argue with that."

Then he was asked whether his job was in jeopardy, to which he responded: "That's up to you gentleman (in the media) and the FA. I'm not going to resign - I'm going to try to make it right in October."

All Systems Go 7 Sep 2005 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reidy
got to b bryan robson

Read as Bobby Robson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
Nope, too inexperienced in management.

Confused me. :(

Deffeh 7 Sep 2005 23:45

Big "Ugly Sam" Sam Allardyce

MrL_JaKiri 7 Sep 2005 23:56

There's no chance Sven will resign - if he resigns he can't take severance pay.

Let the Swede see out his contract, then get Psycho in.

[edit]

On the plus side, Brown'll appreciate the first team experience at Hull - especially as what he lacks the most is a physical presence, which is strange as he's a big lad. Toughen him up a bit and he'll be a good player coming through the youth team, which is pretty damn peculiar.

JC 7 Sep 2005 23:57

We'ld do better with Dave ****ing Bassett.

Deffeh 8 Sep 2005 00:08

Mike Bassett more like.

I like Pearce as well guys, but lets see how he makes it through an entire season before saying "psycho for england" ok ok thanks

MrL_JaKiri 8 Sep 2005 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh
I like Pearce as well guys, but lets see how he makes it through an entire season before saying "psycho for england" ok ok thanks

Hence waiting for 3 years to see if he can cut it in the big time, as per my suggestion.

None of the other "english managers" would really fit the job - McClaren has shown himself to be fairly inept on occasion, Curbishley has failed to make the step up and, whilst the best of the bunch, Allardyce still hasn't got the experience at the top level. Maybe that will change when he no doubt takes Bolton in the Champions League.

The only manager that would really take England forward is Jose Mourinho - if only Chelsea had gotten Sven, and we had the special one.

Deffeh 8 Sep 2005 00:14

When did Curbishley fail his "step up" ? Hes never had a step up

JC 8 Sep 2005 00:14

Quote:

Mike Bassett more like.

No, i meant Dave. Mike Bassett would have a few words to say to Beckham et al though.

JC 8 Sep 2005 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
None of the other "english managers" would really fit the job - McClaren has shown himself to be fairly inept on occasion, Curbishley has failed to make the step up and, whilst the best of the bunch, Allardyce still hasn't got the experience at the top level. Maybe that will change when he no doubt takes Bolton in the Champions League.

The only manager that would really take England forward is Jose Mourinho - if only Chelsea had gotten Sven, and we had the special one.

Why do we necessarily need someone who is experienced in the Champions League (assuming thats what you mean by top level)? Right now what we need is someone who can get us playing as a team. The England manager cant go signing people, he has to deal with what he is given and mould that into a team that will play for each other. For me the best man for that is Big Sam. He seems to pick up all the rejects and gets the best out of them, so i'm sure he could do a decent job with players that actually have some skill. I doubt he would give up his Bolton job for the England one though and like you said earlier, i cant see the FA sacking Sven as it would cost too much. They've back themselves into a cul de sac with this one.

Quote:

I guess he means he has never taken Charlton to the next level. They always seem to show potential at the beginning of the season but never coninue this on all they way to the end to give some kind of end product such as a top 6 finish.

Deffeh 8 Sep 2005 00:22

But charlton are ****ing rubbish though. They do brilliant to get where they get

PSH 8 Sep 2005 00:33

I'd go with Big Sam, he has performed miracles with Bolton with minimal funds and he has more passion in his belly button fluff then Sven has in his whole body!

evan 8 Sep 2005 00:43

I'd also love to see Big Sam get the job however I'm predicting it will be Wenger.

He has many friends in the London biased F.A, for obvious reasons with Dein and co. He knows english football as good as anyone, he has a proven track record and at that point he really will have done all that one man can do for Arsenal. Plus the fact that Chelsea are going to win everything in England for the foreseeable future so international level is his best chance of more glory.

I put £10 on it about a month ago in fact, anyone see any major reasons why he wouldn't get it? Surely now they've appointed one foreign manager there would be no problem with a second.

PSH 8 Sep 2005 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by evan
anyone see any major reasons why he wouldn't get it?

He would be required to field English players i believe.

MrL_JaKiri 8 Sep 2005 00:54

Quote:

When he suddenly have money to spend when Chelsea "acquired" Parker. Everyone at the time was barking about Curbishley taking Charlton to the next level, but that hasn't happened in the slightest, although I must admit that is, to an extent, unfair, as players from the continent take some time to settle in - and this season Rommedhal is giving us a good show. Why Murphy didn't perform at all last season is still a mystery. Too many pies, perhaps.

G.K Zhukov 8 Sep 2005 01:47

I would suggest Moyes or Big Sam.

Deffeh 8 Sep 2005 01:54

Moyes? :)

Apothos 8 Sep 2005 02:05

Martin O'Neil.

(He gets mentioned for every other job!)

lokken 8 Sep 2005 02:32

Stuart Pearce, no contest.

Every football man in England would run through a brick wall for the fella.

Rids 8 Sep 2005 12:01

I'll take just about anybody at the moment.

Weeks 8 Sep 2005 12:05

I often think about Psycho as manager.
It's a risk, as he's quite inexperienced.
However, he does seem induce a really good team-spirit.
But would that work with England's spoilt brats?

And anyway, Chelsea took Shaun from us.
I'd like it if we could at least keep hold of our manager from outside interests for a good few years.
The FA can F-off.

I really don't know who I'd have as manager.
Is there enough time for a change of manager before the World Cup?

Maybe if he's just play the team in a 4-4-2ish formation we'd be ok, instead of 7-3-1, or whatever formation he's got us in at the moment.

NEWSBOT3 8 Sep 2005 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rids
I'll take just about anybody at the moment.

Rids 8 Sep 2005 12:12

You seem to be agreeing with me a lot this morning NB3!

NEWSBOT3 8 Sep 2005 12:12

you seem to be saying a lot of sensible things this morning :)

Rids 8 Sep 2005 12:24

Makes a ****ing change eh?

sigrid 8 Sep 2005 12:53

no comment

Blastoderm 8 Sep 2005 13:05

Keegan [/comedy]

Rids 8 Sep 2005 13:08

The sad thing is, Svens win/loss record in competive games is pretty good, but the england teams performances are simply not up to scratch.

Do we want to change the manager for a guy that will play football more to our liking, or take the reasonable win/loss record and hope we can do something at the world cup?

All Systems Go 8 Sep 2005 13:13

the thing is the win/loss ration is good but when you meet a good team you won't stand a chace because your performances are generally dire so you lose the big games.

Torz 8 Sep 2005 14:00

I think you should make Graham Souness your new manager :))))))))))))

Rids 8 Sep 2005 14:01

Shouldnt you be in Australia you potato carrying faggot?

Torz 8 Sep 2005 14:02

I returned a few weeks ago

Rids 8 Sep 2005 14:05

What was it like out there?

All Systems Go 8 Sep 2005 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torz
I think you should make Graham Souness your new manager :))))))))))))

I'm sure most Newcasttle fans would agree wth you. :)

Ste 8 Sep 2005 15:43

O Neill would be amazing.

Give Psycho a couple of seasons managing experience before throwing him into the deep end.

Harry Redknapp?

Deffeh 8 Sep 2005 15:45

You cant wheel and deal at International level, nor is it about avoiding relegation.

I cant see a "home country" born national, managing england, so rule out Moyes, O'Neill etc.

Weeks 9 Sep 2005 16:47

sam allardyce for manager.
he seems like a man who wouldn't take any nonsense.
surely he'd rather have his pick of the FA honeys than live in Bolton?
o'neill would be amazing but I can't see him managing the enemy.

Weeks 9 Sep 2005 17:01

And....
Ferguson?