Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   R13 Name - VOTE! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=183091)

A2 27 Jan 2005 22:33

R13 Name - VOTE!

Thankyou to everyone who submitted a name for Round 13. I got more than 215 e-mails with suggestions in, which added up to a whopping 656 names (although some of these were duplicates)

The full list has now been scrutinised, deliberated over and had pins stuck in it by our expert panel of judges, who were asked to choose up to 10 names which struck them as being good names for the round.

However, this has only whittled the list down to 8 names. The poll above will decide the name of the round. You can vote for one name only, so please think about it before choosing.

The poll is open for 4 days from posting.

Previous Round Names:
Round 1 - The Beginning
Round 2 - The Struggle for Power
Round 3 - The New Dawn
Round 4 - The Tides of War
Round 5 - The Price of Freedom
Round 6 - First Encounters
Round 7 - Critical Diplomacy
Round 8 - Final Legacy
Round 9 - Redemption
Round 10 - Genesis
Round 11 - A Legend Reborn
Round 12 - The Edge of Darkness

Neferti 27 Jan 2005 22:57

Re: R13 Name - VOTE!

some good names there, i found it hard to pick just one :)

Gumbie 27 Jan 2005 23:17

Some of these are very inspired, but some of them are just dull.
"The Gathering of Power"? Sounds like someone read "The Struggle for Power" and plumped for the safe option. However, generic appeal will always be popular, much to the chargrin of uppity snobs like me :/

Cannon_Fodder 27 Jan 2005 23:42

maybe they're reminissing about how good r2 was and hoping PAteam take the hint..

Rc mayhem 27 Jan 2005 23:45

hmm. Most of those dont give any indication of what the game is doing right now so i chose the one thats like what i am going to be doing this round

Piketa 27 Jan 2005 23:53

Man?! This just couldn't be the best names out there! Some are ok, but "Phoenix Wars"??? "Moonlight on the Sea of War "??? "Ships in the Night"??? LOL!!!!

master2004 28 Jan 2005 00:02

"Moonlight on the Sea of War"sounds like a name of a film

Fyodor 28 Jan 2005 01:37

illusion of truth fits pa politics perfectly

StarSeer 28 Jan 2005 03:27

Gathering of power sounds interesting as the 13 round, well as any one knows 13 isnt exactly the luckiest number around is it like

noah02 28 Jan 2005 10:43

The Phoenix Wars?
Does that mean there is only Terrans next round ~? noooooooooooo

be naming it harpy powah next

So many Bad names there tbh.

DukePaul 28 Jan 2005 11:05

Now, let us all think for a moment. What is a phoenix? Ah yes, the fire-bird, which when it dies lays an egg. When it hatches, the bird is born again. Phoenix means to be reborn, or in the matter of PA to be able to fight on after being slaughtered once, twice, thrice etc.

Personally I liked The Illusion of Truth (the rest of my prefered ones didn't make it to the final poll). As Fyodor says, PA politics is just that. And those of you who whine about crap names: There were 650 or so names given to A2, and lots and lots again were utter crap, for example "Come play planetarion round 13 with a bunch of geeks :-)" and "isn't 13 bad or something?".

Floi 28 Jan 2005 12:33

I think there are some nice names to choose from. Of course some better some worse...

Floi

Orion Treet 28 Jan 2005 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piketa
Man?! This just couldn't be the best names out there! Some are ok, but "Phoenix Wars"??? "Moonlight on the Sea of War "??? "Ships in the Night"??? LOL!!!!

I'm afraid I must agree, some of the names just don't fit a round imo, there are some very good ones in there however, I personally prefer illision of truth, fits the political scene of last round, but then again maybe not of next :confused: Ah well, gathering of power also sounds good, and hopefully (and looks like) fits r13 as PA is on the uprise again.

borger 28 Jan 2005 15:13

Some of the names were great.. personaly i like "the fight for survival" best, thats what it is like for me when i'm playing :p

to you guys only complaining.. did you suggest any better names?

Mek 28 Jan 2005 19:08

i chose "The Illusion of Truth" was hard to choose just 1 tho :P

Alessio 28 Jan 2005 20:12

These can't be the best names that have been send in...
I still like 3 of them tho.. and only 1 gd name is required;)

Neferti 28 Jan 2005 21:05

i also picked Illusion of Truth, i was the first one to vote for it (last night) - shocked to see it winning now, last time i looked Gathering was ahead by a mile :) hehe

Biggin 28 Jan 2005 22:01

it would be easier to pick a name if we knew some stats or ANY info about the game. this arbitrary round naming is lame. the name will probably have nothing to do with the actual game.

Kal 28 Jan 2005 22:07

ther eis info about the game.. - check the announcements forum or the portal - http://www.planetarion.com/news.php?id=19 - http://www.planetarion.com/news.php?id=16

Orion Treet 28 Jan 2005 22:18

Moonlight on the Sea of War sounds like the title of some black metal song :p I can see it being announced on stage :p Moonlight on the sea of waaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LukeyLove 29 Jan 2005 00:51

omfg where are all my suggestions.. LukeyLoves Round of Love sounds so much better than all these>_<

demiGOD 29 Jan 2005 02:23

you know, come to think of it, although voted the gathering of power, the name illusion of truth, like fyodor said, fits the very deceiving nature of the turbulent planetarion politics.. i like the illusion of truth and hope that anyone who hasnt voted yet, wont waste theyre vote on something silly like Moonlight on the sea of waaaaaarrrrrrr!!!!!!! or some crap.. heh

Goafer LX 29 Jan 2005 17:23

hmm, i feel that "moonlight on the sea of war" is clever
however, "rejection of mercy", how immense does that sound, that got my vote
illusion of truth is very good as that is what pa politcs are afterall lol
and the "fight for survival" is good, but just doesn't sound original

Neferti 29 Jan 2005 17:37

rejection of mercy would be my second choice :)

Kress 29 Jan 2005 19:59

"Ships in the night" is by far the most fitting name.
If PA is about anything, it's about loosing sleep because of incomings in the middle of the night.
In fact, "Ships in the NIght" should be the new name of the entire game.

Assassin 29 Jan 2005 20:56

The fight for survival is the best one hands down ;)

Travler 30 Jan 2005 03:48

This is my list of possible names:

1. The Alpha Syndrome

2. Rise of the Phoenix

3. The Chaos Challenge

4. The Allegiance War

5. Armageddon Conquest

6. Battle of Wills

7. The Victory of Retribution

8. The Triumph of Returning

9. Guardians of Solitude

10. A Hero Emerges

11. A Warrior Returns

12. Domination Syndicate

13. An Unexpected Journey

14. Call of the Trumpet

15. A Soldiers Duty

16. Warships and Warlords

17. Dawn of Desolation

demiGOD 30 Jan 2005 06:01

??!??!

Envious 30 Jan 2005 12:03

Quote:

tbh anythig is better than the common "the blabla of blabla" scheme.

can't you at least make it "illusion of truth" or "fight for suvival" without the "the" in front? sounds infinitely less dull imo.

master2004 30 Jan 2005 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travler

1. The Alpha Syndrome

2. Rise of the Phoenix

3. The Chaos Challenge

4. The Allegiance War

5. Armageddon Conquest

6. Battle of Wills

9. Guardians of Solitude

10. A Hero Emerges

11. A Warrior Returns

12. Domination Syndicate

14. Call of the Trumpet

15. A Soldiers Duty

17. Dawn of Desolation

Good for you. But none of them are on the voting list so why are you wasting the time by posting. Such a huge post too...

Envious 30 Jan 2005 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by master2004
Such a huge post too...

and such a huge quote just for your 2 lines of fame...

DukePaul 30 Jan 2005 19:54

So people now believe me when I say that the names in the poll are more or less the best of what was submitted? (personal taste plays a role here)

Jaro 30 Jan 2005 20:28

There is ONLY one good name for round 13. As Kal mentioned in an earlier announcment about battle in round 13:

"Round 13 will see an evolution in race combat with one of the races receiving a major upgrade and reviving past technologies in a new and exciting way. As divisions between the races of the universe grow wider the battle for supremacy can only grow stronger. Recent battles have been calm in comparison to the devastation of wars of old. Forget all you know about battles from Round 12, and prepare for unashamed carnage in Round 13!"

.....PREPARE FOR UNASHAMED CARNAGE IN ROUND 13!

With that being said, the ONLY good name for round 13 is: The Rejection of Mercy.

Assassin 30 Jan 2005 21:30

Jaro that works both ways, that can also mean 'The Fight for Survival' also.

Judas 30 Jan 2005 21:30

Quote:

Jeez the name I suggested "Phoenix Wars" keeps getting trashed lol. Oh well I wasnt that fond of it myself. In response to the only terran crack no thats not what it meant. What was meant is that, after a Phoenix dies it is reborn from its ashes which is very much what this game is all about. Every time I play I see people who get messed up real bad in some cases loose the vast majority of their fleet in an attack. But always they return stronger just like a phoenix, which is why I submitted the idea. The name is a bit cliche I must admit.

Neferti 31 Jan 2005 04:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Envious
tbh anythig is better than the common "the blabla of blabla" scheme.

can't you at least make it "illusion of truth" or "fight for suvival" without the "the" in front? sounds infinitely less dull imo.

good point, i for one actually agree with this situation

noah02 31 Jan 2005 16:52

if only we could call it the war of the worlds :)
classic film :)
just make sure you don't catch a cold.

exblade 31 Jan 2005 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travler

1. The Alpha Syndrome

2. Rise of the Phoenix

3. The Chaos Challenge

4. The Allegiance War

5. Armageddon Conquest

6. Battle of Wills

9. Guardians of Solitude

10. A Hero Emerges

11. A Warrior Returns

12. Domination Syndicate

14. Call of the Trumpet

15. A Soldiers Duty

17. Dawn of Desolation

dude - you missed something here - hence why we're ALREADY voting on the chosen names...contest is over buddy check the portal

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeyLove
omfg where are all my suggestions.. LukeyLoves Round of Love sounds so much better than all these>_<

wow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by master2004
"Moonlight on the Sea of War"sounds like a name of a film

that sounds like the name of some weird cd name

i so voted for illusion of truth...good choice i think..some of the othre names are pretty good also, it was a close call but ive got to agree, the PA politics of many alliances and the way many things are run by people (not the pa team - the n00bs) fits the name...it should show r13 to be an interesting round, i cant wait to start bashing Xans :)

Virall 1 Feb 2005 12:59

well 3 of mine are on the list, including 'The rejection of mercy'

Sorry for the lameness!

Congrats to the winner also :)

Virall

Lockhead 1 Feb 2005 14:23

So, who submitted it first?

I thought that I submitted it.. ;) Was I the first one?

Lock

Neferti 1 Feb 2005 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockhead
So, who submitted it first?

I thought that I submitted it.. ;) Was I the first one?

Lock

submitted what?

Lockhead 1 Feb 2005 22:33

The winning name of course :)

Hellcat 2 Feb 2005 00:11

shame Fight for Survival didn't win.. i'd sent that one in as soon as the name comp opened :(

However well done to the winner. "Illusion of Truth" sounds good.

Comon PA.. Who got that gem in first?

P.S. For the speedgames at the end of the round could we have them named according to the other names or would that be over complicating things?

Phalon 2 Feb 2005 00:14

Is 'The Illusion of Truth' supposed to be ironic?

A2 2 Feb 2005 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellcat
Comon PA.. Who got that gem in first?

I'm waiting for them to mail me back with their nickname and any inspiration that lead to it.

Vargon 2 Feb 2005 19:54

Yes, The Illusion of Truth is an ironic title.
Its my take on politics, and to some degree how similiar it is to R5 thru R8 politics. I was on the darkside then and learned how to hide in the early part of a round. For me, I see these 'new' names joining alliances and I can't help but think, Who are they really?
So, the truth is out there. Can we determine the truth? Or will certain alliances "pull the wool" over our eyes again, and run away with it?
Let us all endeavor to break through the illusions, and find the truth. For the betterment of our own alliances and a more balanced round.

Iceman 4 Feb 2005 05:36

i cant understand how some of those names made it up there aye. I'm impressed with a couple, but cmon guys ships in the night? its like space there isnt even like night... and even better is moonlight on the sea of war... ok it kinda sounds okay if you were the one to make it up but its just not PA, nor does it fit with the other names. Fight for survival could have been put forward like 100 times by a whole lot of 8 year olds but i reckon rejection of mercy sounds coolest. w00t for whoever came up with that one

Neferti 4 Feb 2005 20:32

i think mercy would have been my second choice... i found it hard to choose between that and illusion...

as for ships in the night, as was said above, a lot of PA action takes place at night for most players ;)

noah02 5 Feb 2005 12:08

[quote=Judas]In response to the only terran crack no thats not what it meant. What was meant is that, after a Phoenix dies it is reborn from its ashes which is very much what this game is all about. QUOTE]

Yep I know the true meaning of the word :)
I like the idea of pheonixes but still dont get why they named a weak co after it which dies and stays dead coz no one buys them anymore hehe :)
But if it wasnt for the name of the ship it would have been a cool name :)

_Kila_ 6 Feb 2005 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah02
The Phoenix Wars?
Does that mean there is only Terrans next round ~? noooooooooooo

be naming it harpy powah next

So many Bad names there tbh.

lol u r terran anyways so why do u care? its me who should care cos ziks>all :(
"a hero emerges" = Me!!! w00t.
nah some names sound so.... lame.... best I could think of was "beggining of the end"