Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Alliance Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   1up Announcement (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192179)

mazzelaar 2 Sep 2006 18:22

1up Announcement

I shall make this brief and clear.

1up will not be playing Planetarion round 19. Sid and I have decided to take a round away from the pressures of running 1up for the forseeable future.

Playing so many consecutive rounds has taken it's toll on our enthusiasm for the game and, in no short part, so has the gameplay itself. We are currently at a stage of planetarion where the political playing field is one dimensional and planet success is decided solely by who has the biggest fleet rather than any kind of imagination.

Should the direction of the gameplay change in the near future then expect to see us back at the helm of a, hopefully, revitalised 1up.

No small thanks go to all of the 1up members for countless hours of hard work, dedication and copious whinging ;)

Thanks to everyone who we have battled with.

mazzelaar - 1up HC
Synthetic_Sid - 1up CEO

Benneh 2 Sep 2006 18:25

Re: 1up Announcement

Hopefully you will be back...

Ace 2 Sep 2006 18:33

Mazz and sid (and all of the 1up member) we like to thank you for the few rounds we went head to head (and we lost :( )

We know what it is to try and do good for so many rounds that is why we went to a small core and try to have fun.

You guys will be back I bet.
Till then, have a great break and get the batteries loaded again guys.

jerome 2 Sep 2006 18:39

good move guys.

Assassin 2 Sep 2006 18:44

Sigh Im allianceless :/

Well it was great to play one round with 1up. Great community of players, great spirit and hard work, and of course the hard work from the HC command/officers was unbeleivable. Its an alliance that has worked hard for many rounds. I hope sid and mazz return with 1up in the future. Was an honour.

The Real Arfy 2 Sep 2006 18:45

All good things must come to an end, and 1up was great. GREAT.

Nitros 2 Sep 2006 18:47

Just like Ace i'd like to say thanks for the nice LCH/1up battles in the rounds i still played. Always been a nice challenge (maybe too big challenge :D)
Cya around soon :)

Legator 2 Sep 2006 18:52

it is a long time i played (well 2 or 3 rounds atleast :P) and its even a longer time ago i was in 1up, the times around then were great (r11 to r13).

pa loses definately the alliance with most influence in the "new" pa - loved by one half and hated by the other.

pa without 1up = dead. farewell to the best alliance since the times before round 5.

Nadar 2 Sep 2006 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazzelaar
We are currently at a stage of planetarion where the political playing field is one dimensional and planet success is decided solely by who has the biggest fleet rather than any kind of imagination.

I agree.

Now, let the recruitment-race begin ;)

TheGoaT 2 Sep 2006 19:00

Was a real honor playing with some world class people over the years.

Stifler 2 Sep 2006 19:17

1up was a great alliance, really enjoyed my time there.

Good bunch of people, and its not really a surprise that mazz and Sid need a break after 7 rounds of hard work

aNgRyDuCk 2 Sep 2006 19:21

would just like to add that it has been a pleasure gaming with everyone who has donned a 1up uniform, good luck where ever you end up and maybe we'll do it again sometime ;)

It has also been a pleasure fighting the universe throughout all the rounds...thankyou all

aNgRyDuCk - 1up HC

Smudge 2 Sep 2006 19:27

I'm willing to bet a drink of coke [this could seriously back fire on me!] that Exil will now announce there playing r19

rshih 2 Sep 2006 19:36

This was all because I said I wasn't gonna play this round, they knew they couldnt handle me not playing again :p

-=Yggdra=- 2 Sep 2006 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smudge
I'm willing to bet a drink of coke [this could seriously back fire on me!] that Exil will now announce there playing r19

Smudge, we all know youre a lil biased but for your information, we already announced that we are going to play r19 during the winning ceremony yesterday. Now move your ass and get me that coke.

Caj 2 Sep 2006 19:41

no way as if u going that sucks tbh

Smudge 2 Sep 2006 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Yggdra=-
Smudge, we all know youre a lil biased but for your information, we already announced that we are going to play r19 during the winning ceremony yesterday. Now move your ass and get me that coke.

People were listening to that :o

-=Yggdra=- 2 Sep 2006 19:46

Quote:

People were listening to that :o

You as PA Team member should :/

But we are going to play as a core alliance, less members, more focusing on fun than on winning. So without 1up and an eX not focusing on winning it will be interesting to see who is going to step up. Omen? The Subh-followup? xVx? Or maybe an alliance formed by the playing 1up members? Should be fun.

Judder 2 Sep 2006 19:52

Played 1up, shame to see you go. Have a good break :)

furball 2 Sep 2006 19:58

Best of luck, and I can't say that I didn't see something along these lines coming. Playing at such an intensity for so many rounds running can only take its toll, and I trust that you will savour the time off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazzelaar
Playing so many consecutive rounds has taken it's toll on our enthusiasm for the game and, in no short part, so has the gameplay itself. We are currently at a stage of planetarion where the political playing field is one dimensional and planet success is decided solely by who has the biggest fleet rather than any kind of imagination.

Should the direction of the gameplay change in the near future then expect to see us back at the helm of a, hopefully, revitalised 1up.

Perhaps the current PA Team should now take a long hard look at the game it's created. I personally quit at the end of Round 16, and I can't say that there's been a decent PA round to play since. Every time a group of players try something imaginative, it gets clamped down on. Whereas in times past everyone thought about adapting the new way of winning, now they just change the calculation of score so that it can't be done again.

Round 16 - Ascendancy win via 'XP-whoring'. XP permanently nerfed, PA suddenly becomes a lot less fun. Suprise suprise.

Round 17 - 1up tag all of their real members late in the round after swapping these members in and out of tag as the round goes on. Score calculation changed to 'score accumulated in-tag' as opposed to 'total score in-tag'. XP remains nerfed, mass bashing occurs. Suprise suprise.

Likewise eXilition's various ploys have all been clamped down on. I don't disagree with this, actually, but it does demonstrate the present opposition to ingenuity. So - why try?

furball 2 Sep 2006 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Yggdra=-
But we are going to play as a core alliance, less members, more focusing on fun than on winning. So without 1up and an eX not focusing on winning it will be interesting to see who is going to step up. Omen? The Subh-followup? xVx? Or maybe an alliance formed by the playing 1up members? Should be fun.

I predict that you'll win the round anyway. None of the other alliances are politically competent enough to do anything with their advantage, and I suspect that we'll see Round 12 all over again, this time without the decent gameplay.

-=Yggdra=- 2 Sep 2006 20:01

Actually we were thinking of how to bring back fun to PA for us. But my idea of a draft with Team Kaifux Vs. Team bwtmc got turned down :(

Veedeejem! 2 Sep 2006 20:02

After 7 rounds of playing hardcore & always being a contender for #1 you guys deserve a break :)
GL to you guys in the future

ps: r19 is starting to look interesting, eXi only playing as core, 1up not playing at all... will be dificult to predict who's going to win this time :)

TheGoaT 2 Sep 2006 20:06

I'll be waiting for the bugle call to return in the future.

aNgRyDuCk 2 Sep 2006 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
After 7 rounds of playing hardcore & always being a contender for #1 you guys deserve a break :)
GL to you guys in the future

ps: r19 is starting to look interesting, eXi only playing as core, 1up not playing at all... will be dificult to predict who's going to win this time :)

8 actually :P

teknik 2 Sep 2006 20:10

Quote:

they already announced that last night during end of round ceremony

ReligFree 2 Sep 2006 20:19

Very sad to hear this. I had a great round in 1up when i played for you and enjoyed it immensely. Theres some great guys in 1up being led by some superb HCs. All the best to Mazz and Sid in whatever they choose to do next. Good luck

Zh|l 2 Sep 2006 20:42

Not much I can say really. I've never been a profilic HC as either Sid or mazz, my reputation still firmly rooted in Fury. Still, we've had alot of laughs together and I hope this isn't the -end- totally.

Look forward to flying together in Eve when we're all in battleships. Just keep the clone ready for that extra life.

isildurx 2 Sep 2006 21:24

Had a great round in 1up, hope you will return :(

Bubert Samson 2 Sep 2006 21:31

Ill certainly be watching the alliance scores closely next round, and I hope someone will be able to step up and challenge eXilition the way they need to be and not let them just walk to an easy victory like they did this round.
I figure that as long as all the ex-1up members dont go to eXi, and they still play hardcore, there might be a chance.

DeLoS 2 Sep 2006 23:05

Well sad to see this day, not at all surprised though :(

Enjoyed my rounds in 1up very much, ace alliance. Thank you.

Gate 2 Sep 2006 23:51

It is a tragedy to see the most consistently great alliance of PaX to be leaving. Well done on all you've achieved 1up!

On the plus side, maybe someone else will stand a chance if eXi turn up with 50% less players than everyone else and don't bother with politics. Which would give the round far more potential to be interesting for more people. Not to belittle your achievements eX and 1up, it's not your fault you were too good for everyone else. :(

lokken 2 Sep 2006 23:56

A wise and productive decision.

A big :up: from myself

Chika 3 Sep 2006 01:12

wow. wel surely some average alliances will get better with a few 1up vets. Sad though, as the only thing keeping PA alive is 1up and exil. This will give someone else a chance to step up, and hopefully it won't be corny.
GG Sid and Mazz.
Mazz, I always thought you should have stopped HC'ing a long time ago when you got married.
Sid I thought you should have stopped HC'ing when I saw that pic with your shirt tucked in and no belt. :D
peace fellas.

Treveler 3 Sep 2006 01:13

As one of the few members who have played in 1up in every round since its high profile start I would like to say that this is a good decision. I would bett my right nut that 1up of r11 is the best bunch of players this game has ever seen located in on alliance and the same core did equally well the round after. Since r13 1up hasn’t really been a military superpower and most of its success since then has been the result of smart politics.

Whenever 1up returns from the ashes I'll be there.....

Until then I see you all in the endless universe of Eve...

Tomkat 3 Sep 2006 01:16

So we never will get to see the long-awaited Exilition vs 1up round with Exilition playing 2 rounds in a row.

Treveler 3 Sep 2006 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
So we never will get to see the long-awaited Exilition vs 1up round with Exilition playing 2 rounds in a row.

Taking the amount of HC balls left in the universe I think its safe to say that Exilition will be the second alliance to win two round in a row. :)

Tomkat 3 Sep 2006 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treveler
Taking the amount of HC balls left in the universe I think its safe to say that Exilition will be the second alliance to win two round in a row. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if 2 new alliances emerged next round, with the number of allianceless experienced players drifting around.

Tomkat 3 Sep 2006 01:41

Oh and by the way in reply to anonymous rep of:

1up Announcement 3 Sep 2006 01:21 exilition isnt really playing two rounds in a row, you know. They wont be fielding a full alliance to do so

I'm pretty sure that you contradicted yourself there by saying Exi aren't playing 2 rounds in a row and then saying they are but they're not fielding a full alliance. Good work! No wonder you left it anonymous. You probably can't spell your own name :(

Phil^ 3 Sep 2006 01:58

way to hijack a thread :(

Its about time the HC took a well earned break, 8 rounds back to back - continuously performing takes its toll on anyone.

Caj 3 Sep 2006 02:25

re-consider playin guys if not in some other form anyway .. i feel wont be same without u ..if not hope u return to the fight soon enuff

kappa 3 Sep 2006 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treveler
As one of the few members who have played in 1up in every round since its high profile start I would like to say that this is a good decision. I would bett my right nut that 1up of r11 is the best bunch of players this game has ever seen located in on alliance and the same core did equally well the round after. Since r13 1up hasn’t really been a military superpower and most of its success since then has been the result of smart politics.

Whenever 1up returns from the ashes I'll be there.....

Until then I see you all in the endless universe of Eve...

as another of the few players who has played every round in 1up,also every round in Fury,also every round in Eclipse(christ thats a lot of rounds:()
id just like to say
its been a great ride:)
i like many others played purely for sid
if it wasnt for him,his ruthlesness and usually total political domination this game would have been dead many many moons ago

id like to thank u for giving me a home for all these years
accepting my drunken uselessness
ruining my life several times over:)
and making it all seem worthwhile:)

if u ever need a drunken useless half wit peon in any other game let me know:)

[Fury]kappa[1up]
signing off.....forever i guess:(

p.s Sandman i beat u! u owe me a fiver ta, i accept paypal:)

Alki 3 Sep 2006 03:25

very sad day, was fun fighting vs and with you guys, sure had a lot of good characters

Zh|l 3 Sep 2006 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caj
re-consider playin guys if not in some other form anyway .. i feel wont be same without u ..if not hope u return to the fight soon enuff

This was considered to my knowledge. It takes a hell of a lot for Sid to be convinced to not actually play, regardless of how difficult it is. The man simply likes a challenge. I asked the same question as you myself, and received an answer that said even something smaller would not be less intensive to run. It would still require tools, administration and running a whole lot of stuff.

This decision did not come lightly from mazz and Sid (as at the end of the day, they were the HC who kept 1up running day-to-day) but both guys deserve a well-earnt break from the rigours of HCing.

RE Tomkat, I seriously doubt we'd see two new alliances rise up through the decision for 1up not to play. We will not disappear totally though, 1up members are invited to play Eve where we can form gangs together (although we are not a corp, nor intending to be one in the near future)

Wishmaster 3 Sep 2006 04:01

No surprise as u kinda collapsed last round, and alot has been going to EVE.
Sad though that u wont play in any form, and I doubt we will ever see 1up playing PA again.

Desse 3 Sep 2006 08:43

Thanks for the times Mazz, Sid and Zhil.

Then my planned come back for r19 is off, I guess.

Good luck out there and hope to see you in a new alliance eventually.

rnd|One 3 Sep 2006 09:00

A small window of opportunity for the next leech of talent to rise from the shadows. Whom will be el capitan?

Filth 3 Sep 2006 09:33

I only played the one round with 1up but it was a lota fun, thanks guys and I hope to see you return.

DeadOps 3 Sep 2006 09:37

sad to see 1up go, always was fun stealing resources from you! :), guess i need a new target for resource hacks now :( anyways, enough playing around now :), hope 1up returns soon to the wars that are planetarion :)

Kargool 3 Sep 2006 11:42

Saw it coming, but it will be sad having a universe without 1up.