Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Christmas Mini Round (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=199101)

Appocomaster 24 Nov 2010 12:40

Christmas Mini Round

I'm considering doing some sort of Christmassy mini round of Planetarion to cover the some of December, maybe falling into January. This is not guaranteed as I'd have to find time to do it, and would be more in the vein of the informal speedgames than an official event (as that means if it goes horribly, horribly wrong it's less bad :D)

It would either be on the speedgame server or the main game server (depending on date clashes).

I'd like suggestions for:

-ship names (/stats?)
-races
-race bonuses (?)
-potentially renaming resources (e.g. Brandy Butter, Stuffing and Brussel Sprouts)*

Tick speed would probably be 30 minutes / 1 hour.

Comments about other setup settings are also welcome (galaxy setup, CTF/ golden roids, alliances, etc)

*I have no idea how difficult this will be!

MrLobster 24 Nov 2010 13:14

Re: Christmas Mini Round

Well then...

1) You could try sorting alliances by alliance points, rather than score, to see how that works.

2) Try Lights idea of a single race, but multiple branching Tech.

HeimdallR 24 Nov 2010 14:05

Well won't be playing a christmas round personally, will need the time off.

But a round with faster ticks might be a good test, and show how uther fail it will be with the current playerbase. so we can close that discussion to.

Appocomaster 24 Nov 2010 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLobster (Post 3202030)
Well then...

1) You could try sorting alliances by alliance points, rather than score, to see how that works.

Very possible

Quote:

2) Try Lights idea of a single race, but multiple branching Tech.
Not possible; the race system and tech tree are so fundamental that I can't change this for a quick one off speedgame :(

gzambo 24 Nov 2010 14:21

Go with 2 or 3 races give each race different research options and use the alliance points to rank ally's but include no naps ingame or def allowed out of gal and ally ,dont do faster ticks they wont work if people want a faster ticker they can play the speedgames

isildurx 24 Nov 2010 14:24

1. Please abolish alliance rankings, and only include galaxy and planetranks.

2. Perhaps try one of the previously suggested sets of stats that had 2 or 3 races(didn't jer make a good one?)

t3k 24 Nov 2010 15:52

4 weeks, half-hour ticks, no alliance rankings, no prelaunch. Do whatever you like with stats.

DigitalZero 24 Nov 2010 15:55

A few ideas. If it is a christmassy themed round, I would start it sooner than December 10th, people get in the spirit in the beginning of December, and after the New Year, it goes away quick.

Perhaps a race of the 9 reindeer. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer as fi/co; Vixen, Comet Cupid, fr/de; Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph, cr/bs!

Probably not doable in time, but a webpage theme for the xmas round. Just some ideas.

ricoshay 24 Nov 2010 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3202040)
1. Please abolish alliance rankings, and only include galaxy and planetranks.

I agree with that.

Renaming the resources is dumb and goes against the sci-fi atmosphere of the game.

I don't care about races (as long as zik is still there!), stats or anything else not mentioned above.

t3k 24 Nov 2010 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalZero (Post 3202044)
A few ideas. If it is a christmassy themed round, I would start it sooner than December 10th, people get in the spirit in the beginning of December, and after the New Year, it goes away quick.

Perhaps a race of the 9 reindeer. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer as fi/co; Vixen, Comet Cupid, fr/de; Donner, Blitzen, Rudolph, cr/bs!

Probably not doable in time, but a webpage theme for the xmas round. Just some ideas.

Actually, this idea would be pretty 'doable'. All you need to do is change one of the race names, and then the ship names. And, perhaps, a Christmas themed skin. Mr Lobster is usually good at that 'art' shit, so you might be able to twist his arm!

I think if you had a short round - maybe lasting the length of December (which would have the added bonus of ending this round sooner rather than later and putting people out of their misery) - you could do alright with just having a couple of themed races battle it out against each other.

isildurx 24 Nov 2010 16:07

I think a 4 week round, without alliances, could be good pretty much regardless of which stats were used.

t3k 24 Nov 2010 16:13

agreed.

t3k 24 Nov 2010 16:15

Oh, and 5 man private gals. No late signups (i.e. people sign up before ticks start or not at all) with either a galaxy pin or a 'mix me' option for your gal options.

Pa_Bear 24 Nov 2010 16:23

I'm liking the idea of a short Christmas feature round with comedy/fun elements replacing some current parts. If it is for fun then it'll need to be faster ticks, 2 per hour seem good to me tbh, bearing in mind that people will have a ton of other things to be doing over the period.

A limit to having one or two races seems good also, however i had thought it may encourage more fighting/battles if there was only two class levels ie fi co and fr de (I understand that dropping cr bs would require a restructuring of stats which is more work than your willing to put in)

Ideas:

Eonium = Christmas Spirit (It made Santas sleigh fly)
Crystal = Holly
Metal = Ivy
Fleets/Ships = Sleighs
Asteroids = Presents or Baubles (Stealing Presents)
Ships names = After Reindeer (12 reindeer 12 ships 1 race?)
Population = Elves
Planet = North Pole base
XP = Carol Singers

Did I think to much about this?

t3k 24 Nov 2010 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny (Post 3202049)
Oh, and 5 man private gals. No late signups (i.e. people sign up before ticks start or not at all) with either a galaxy pin or a 'mix me' option for your gal options.

If you do it like a 'cup' format (The Planetarion Christmas Cup!) then instead of 'late signups' you can have 'substitutes', max of 1 per gal available after 2 weeks.

Oh em gee I am so excited!

You're not gonna get as many players as you would a standard round anyway, it really depends on whether this is an idea designed to create another intake of revenue so the guys at Jagex can do a little extra Christmas shopping this year...

t3k 24 Nov 2010 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pa_Bear (Post 3202050)
Eonium = Spirit (It made Santas sleigh fly)
Crystal = Joy
Metal = Cheer
Fleets/Ships = Sleighs
Asteroids = Baubles
Ships names = After Reindeer (12 reindeer 12 ships 1 race?)
Population = Elves
Planet = North Pole base <-- too far!
XP = Carol Singers <-- too far!

Did I think to much about this?

Pa_Bear 24 Nov 2010 16:42

:)

isildurx 24 Nov 2010 17:02

God, please dont christmas theme it!

DigitalZero 24 Nov 2010 17:03

to be honest, i believe this idea should then be done annually each christmas if it works out.

t3k 24 Nov 2010 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3202054)
God, please dont christmas theme it!

...not even shipnames?

Light 24 Nov 2010 17:49

Ive gone over what i'd do on irc but i'll post it here.
1 Race (you say its too much work to do for 1 round, but you can simply make each races stats/ships the same)
Shipstats need to be aggressive, possible ST.. to enable solo play rather than requiring people to teamup all the time.
30 minute ticks = 8 week round in 4 weeks, plus 2 attacks a day which means afternoon attacking is now not only viable but necessary.
Minimum Attacking ETA: 10 = 4 hours 30mins for an attack from launch to land.
Minimum Defending ETA: 8 = Attacks show at eta 9, so it will give alliances the standard one hour to find defence.
Galaxy ETA: 4 = Gives galaxys an additional 2 hours to find defence.

With these ETA's, it will keep the traditional time to find defence but also enable the 2 attacks a day.

Prelaunch stays in the game, as attacks are slightly shortend, it will allow people to set there attacks to launch while they're sleeping and they can come online when they wake up, rather than with no prelaunch, if they launch an attack when they're off to bed.. they'll have to wake up 5hours later to check for defence.

Maximum Roid Capture = 15%
Minimum Roid Capture = 5%

With shortend attacks and more aggresive ST style attacks, the cap rate should be lowered to slow the growth of the top planets.

Roid-init formula changed so that the first 300-400 roids are INCREDIBLY cheap but rising sharply after that, to ensure that anyone who gets roided down.. can regrow instantly.

Alliances in the game, at whatever the tag limit is now. Cant expect alliances to restructure for a mini-round but the amount of planets contributing to score is lowered to 40.

An interesting variation would be to return to metal = the resource to init any type of roid (i presume its a easy thing to change) and then lower the init costs by 3rd. Keep the startup resources as they are but have the starting ships cost crystal/eonium (with no metal) and a ship which counters them which costs metal (so those that init less roids, will have more of the counter ship to go roiding).

With this, Finance Centres commented out of the game and only mines. This is due to shipstats having a massive variety in the amount of resources they require (one ship might not even need metal, while some might not need crystal) etc. So you have to compensate what ships you intend to build with the mines you build. Increase the amount of resources mines bring in by 100%.

Galaxy setup is roughly the same as now. Buddy Packs increased to 6 players and random is the same as usual. (ideally, id love to remove the galaxy exile option, so that only planets can exile themselves but presume that would be too much coding).

Free round with no upgrades.

No defined length except a 'Maximum length (if need be). So that if the round turns out to be dominated and crappy, you have the option to end it and do something else. With 30 minute ticks and two attacks a day, it will allow alliances which are alot more active to pull away quicker if they are organised properly.. So you'll want the option to cut the round short if an alliance pulls away. However, with aggressive shipstats and fast ticks, it should be easier for the lower alliances to successfully block against them.

No Christmas themes except the ship names, anything else would be far too tacky. DEFINATLY NO SNOW FALLING OVERLAY GRAPHICS. the name of the round should be something which clearly states this is a fun/mini/christmas round rather than a proper round and the portal page should clearly express that this is not the normal game.

Multihunters get the round off as a break they deserve. No warnings or closures for anything other than blatent multying/farming/abuse. As knowing what they're like, they will likely rename or close any planet which is christmas themed as it can be offensive to those who dont celebrate it.

Korsan 24 Nov 2010 18:19

I'd pretty much love to see this:

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198663

Take it as a testing period. I am sure it's better than current combat style

Light 24 Nov 2010 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korsan (Post 3202059)
I'd pretty much love to see this:

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198663

Take it as a testing period. I am sure it's better than current combat style

Dont think you quiet understand.. its a fun miniround in december; Not a complete re-code of any system. There's not that much that can be changed except formula's and simple edits.

Dark-Strider 24 Nov 2010 19:07

As long as it's free, as I wouldn't waste a credit on some crappy Christmas themed round.

Light 24 Nov 2010 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark-Strider (Post 3202061)
As long as it's free, as I wouldn't waste a credit on some crappy Christmas themed round.

Its not really a crappy christmas themed round. Its a 4 week round (effectively 8weeks with 30mins ticks), It doesnt have to have christmas names everywhere :p

MrLobster 24 Nov 2010 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3202057)
DEFINATLY NO SNOW FALLING OVERLAY GRAPHICS.

well that's my first idea out of the window...

ArcChas 24 Nov 2010 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3202028)
I'm considering doing some sort of Christmassy mini round of Planetarion to cover the some of December, maybe falling into January. This is not guaranteed as I'd have to find time to do it, and would be more in the vein of the informal speedgames than an official event (as that means if it goes horribly, horribly wrong it's less bad :D)

Whatever format you decide on and whichever suggestions you decide to adopt (or not) - please make sure that this "experiment" isn't counted as a "genuine" round. I'd hate to blemish my continuous history as a PA player as a result of not joining in.

Mzyxptlk 24 Nov 2010 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3202028)
Tick speed would probably be 30 minutes (...)

And this, Kenny, is why you don't jokingly make bad suggestions.

isildurx 24 Nov 2010 21:01

I don't see what would be wrong with 1 hour ticks. 400 tick long round could be good, see who manages to mix value and xp the best.

Judge 24 Nov 2010 21:31

I would prefer 15 minute ticks the same as havoc.

Judge 24 Nov 2010 21:32

Suggestion for round name

Festive Fun

Now not even the NON Christians can argue with that one.

isildurx 24 Nov 2010 22:10

Seriously, 15 minute ticks during christmas? Good luck on that.

Light 24 Nov 2010 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3202066)

I dont see what would be wrong with 30minute ticks. You can alter the ETA's to give people the same time as now to get defence, so it doesnt put a strain on them but it also allows two attacks a day at daytime and nighttime.

Mzyxptlk 24 Nov 2010 23:19

Except that you can only sleep for 4 hours.

t3k 24 Nov 2010 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3202066)

Roger that.

Still, that post did make me chuckle!

Judge 24 Nov 2010 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by isildurx (Post 3202070)
Seriously, 15 minute ticks during christmas? Good luck on that.

Wouldn't bother me

Light 25 Nov 2010 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3202073)

So for once, the actives know what the casuals feel like :)

Mzyxptlk 25 Nov 2010 01:30

Considering that the casuals quit en masse, I fail to see how that's a good thing.

Makhil 25 Nov 2010 07:55

make something special rather than a mini round. A round with 4 galaxies 1 for each race (I doubt there will be enough players to make 4 clusters but who knows), allow ingal attacks, allow multiple accounts, allow nasty banners and sexual references in fleet names, Pnick for ruler name, alliance for planet name... make that unofficial round an anti-christmas thing.

Judge 25 Nov 2010 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3202073)

Sleep is for wimps

apparently

:banana:

:)

ricoshay 25 Nov 2010 10:31

:judge:

Wishmaster 25 Nov 2010 12:00

I would totally play this shit. last exam the 9th.
a 30min round would be awesome. Could you maybe add some sort of 1day vacmode thing? People will have certain days they cant be on during christmas... but then again I spose u can just set fleet to run and hide.

Great idea. Dont change too much though. Make it a regular round more or less, with 30min ticks!!!!

this will be ****ing awesome. just like pl@netia!! <3

gzambo 25 Nov 2010 12:14

Yeah thats just what we need for a supposedly fun mini round , dont think i'll bother signing up for it if ticks are shorter than 1 hr

Mistwraith 25 Nov 2010 12:20

love the ship names as santas reindeer idea

each race could have a theme..

terr - the night before christmas poem

cath - names of santa claus and helpers (globally) .. because you couldnt have the jolly fat fellow doing any real harm

xan - classic christmas presents you allways get

zik - foods associated with christmas (globally)

etd - things you put under/on a christmas tree

i'll happily make you lists if u prod me

Wishmaster 25 Nov 2010 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzambo (Post 3202082)
Yeah thats just what we need for a supposedly fun mini round , dont think i'll bother signing up for it if ticks are shorter than 1 hr

so you want 1hr ticks when the round is gonna last 4weeks?
any reason for this? I think it would be nice with a round where something is different...

ReligFree 25 Nov 2010 13:27

Yeah I agree with Wish, 30min ticks, free round (would be a nice gift back to the community after the crappy stability this round) and something a little bit fun, like no in game allies.

gzambo 25 Nov 2010 13:45

Maybe it's just me but i dont see the point of having to be even more active than a normal round at a time of the year when most people cannot commit as much time to the game as normal , if you want something different to a normal round then change other stuff , for example you could use the rd 16 xp formula so there are other ways to play instead of the usual value rounds that we have , they could also add capture the flag and golden roids , if it's mean to be a fun round then there are plenty of options besides shortening ticks

Wishmaster 25 Nov 2010 13:52

why do you HAVE to be more active?
you can run n hide like the french :/

ricoshay 25 Nov 2010 14:28

The problem is that your roids wont french also. :/

Wishmaster 25 Nov 2010 14:49

all incs are reported directly to alliance now. You dont have to be online every 30mins to do good. Your galm8s dont even have to be online to report them for you... 30min ticks ftw.