Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oh no, I'm a terr'ist (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=186763)

Deepflow 3 Aug 2005 11:12

Oh no, I'm a terr'ist

Well, this is the first sign i have seen of any evidence we are on a "higher alert". I still personally think it's highly stupid, but there you go.

Part of my job atm is updating (finishing) a website for all of the shops/businesses in Kingston Town Centre (I work for KTCM which is basically Kingston Town Centre Management, a smaller company funded entirely by the council). Kingston is a small borough of Greater London, but very out of the way. Perhaps as far as you can get from Central London whilst still being a part of London. Anyway, I went out into the town centre to take photos of shopfronts for the website that I would upload later, but someone came over to me and asked me what I was doing. I explained, and he said he would have to take me up to the shopping centre manager where I would have to explain myself. Which I did, effectively marched up the stairs and into the office by an 50 something old grouch with a mop and subjected to an "interview" by a woman who clearly wouldn't know a terrorist if he jumped into her house and attacked her family (she seemed nice though). Now have had to come back to the office to get a piece of paper written which will explain exactly what I am doing and who has said I am allowed to.

The people who spoke to me said a few times "but we don't know you aren't a terrorist!" whenever I looked even slightly miffed at the whole process. Which was most annoying, though I suppose slightly amusing. Especially as given what has happened recently taking pictures of random shopfronts wouldnt seem to be pre-bombing activity.

Never mind though, so far today I've been hit by a car and said I might be a terrorist by complete strangers. Wonderful

Dante Hicks 3 Aug 2005 11:18

Re: Oh no, I'm a terr'ist

I was once asked to show my lunch box didn't have a bomb in it

Also...the amount of police present at London train station is pretty indicative of a pretty damn high alert. Somewhat ridiculous in some cases.

PSH 3 Aug 2005 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deepflow
Oh no, I'm a terr'ist

Do you even have a beard?

Deepflow 3 Aug 2005 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSH
Do you even have a beard?

I shaved yesterday because of the possibility of just such an eventuality.

Kurashima 3 Aug 2005 11:28

Im telling you, its the curse of being called "Henry" amongst the working class.

Theyre out to get you Mr Bamford.

Dante Hicks 3 Aug 2005 11:40

What the hell are working class people doing in the Royal Borough ( :rolleyes: ) of Kingston-upon-Thames?

Deepflow 3 Aug 2005 11:41

theres plenty of them, we have "chavs" just like the rest of you. It's just we view them with a quiet disgust.

Deepflow 3 Aug 2005 11:57

yes, always, didnt you know?

:(

well, ive been in manchester term time the last two years.

Ste 3 Aug 2005 13:44

you look just like the terrorist type to me...

Embroglio 3 Aug 2005 14:28

I've never seen a pill head blow anything except their mind. :(

NEWSBOT3 3 Aug 2005 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
you look just like the terrorist type to me...

aren't most terrorists middle class well edu .. oh hi henry

Blastoderm 3 Aug 2005 15:59

I got on the bus on a Monday morning (after picking up my wireless router from the post office) and sat on the upper deck with a 'brown box'. Nearly half the bus stared at me while I was clutching to my precious item.

This is even when I'm wearing a suit (shirt, tie, etc.) for work.

*shrug*

NEWSBOT3 3 Aug 2005 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastoderm
I got on the bus on a Monday morning (after picking up my wireless router from the post office) and sat on the upper deck with a 'brown box'. Nearly half the bus stared at me while I was clutching to my precious item.

*shrug*

shoulda put a loud clock in it.

Vaio 3 Aug 2005 19:03

I'm surprised that no-one has done a range of t shirts with 'No i'm not a terrorist' printed on them.

That would be cool

Dace 3 Aug 2005 23:23

Deep, why didn't you just tell the person to go **** themself?!

"Taking photo's of shop fronts is illegal eh?! I'll need written permission to do it will i?! No i don't! GO **** YOURSELF!"

Is how your end of the "argument" would go.

Proteus 4 Aug 2005 00:01

I'm with Dace here. No one short of a Police Officer is going to march me anywhere, and I certainly wouldn't explain anything to someone demanding to know what I was doing in a public place.

dda 4 Aug 2005 00:35

Quote:

Nearly half the bus stared at me while I was clutching to my precious item.

Next time just hold onto the router and leave your "precious item" where it belongs.

Yahwe 4 Aug 2005 01:12

Henry given you're so middle class that you wouldn't object if 'a man from the council' insisted on giving you an anal examination or 'the bt man' said you'd have to let him move into your house, I have prepared my expert legal advice.

My Fee will be waived.

Quote:

but someone came over to me and asked me what I was doing.

Reply: That is none of your business. Please go away.

Quote:

I explained, and he said he would have to take me up to the shopping centre manager where I would have to explain myself.

Reply: Don't be absurd. You have no such authority and I am not coming. Please go away.
(if he trie to touch you you are entitled to reasonable self defence)

Quote:

Which I did, effectively marched up the stairs and into the office by an 50 something old grouch with a mop and subjected to an "interview" by a woman who clearly wouldn't know a terrorist if he jumped into her house and attacked her family (she seemed nice though).

Reply: What in god's name do you think you are doing? You have no authority and no legal power to do this. I am leaving now. If you attempt to stop me I will have you prosecuted for kidnap and wrongful Imprisonment. I will also excercise my right to sue your company for monetary compensation.

Quote:

Now have had to come back to the office to get a piece of paper written which will explain exactly what I am doing and who has said I am allowed to.

Practical Advice: NO. You do not.

furball 4 Aug 2005 02:01

:)

Nothing more needs to be said.

Dace 4 Aug 2005 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
Henry given you're so middle class that you wouldn't object if 'a man from the council' insisted on giving you an anal examination or 'the bt man' said you'd have to let him move into your house, I have prepared my expert legal advice.

My Fee will be waived.

Reply: That is none of your business. Please go away.

Reply: Don't be absurd. You have no such authority and I am not coming. Please go away.
(if he trie to touch you you are entitled to reasonable self defence)

Reply: What in god's name do you think you are doing? You have no authority and no legal power to do this. I am leaving now. If you attempt to stop me I will have you prosecuted for kidnap and wrongful Imprisonment. I will also excercise my right to sue your company for monetary compensation.

Practical Advice: NO. You do not.

But my suggested method of dealing with the person was so much more succinct.

Yahwe 4 Aug 2005 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
But my suggested method of dealing with the person was so much more succinct.

succinct but flawed

since it relied on henry, a man who surrendered his life and libertity on the basis that a man was carrying a mop, being brave enough to say "**** off!"

(i confess that in practice i would follow your system)

dda 4 Aug 2005 04:27

I, of course, don't know Henry, however, unless his last name is Bin Laden, I find this behavior very strange and disturbing. Perhaps a repositioning of the mop may have been in order.

Deepflow 4 Aug 2005 08:54

Quote:

succinct but flawed

since it relied on henry, a man who surrendered his life and libertity on the basis that a man was carrying a mop, being brave enough to say "**** off!"

(i confess that in practice i would follow your system)

but it was a MOP!

and seriously, if i had told him to **** off he would have brought "higher ups" around, possibly security. Im not saying that they would actually have been able to do anything to me, but if my office suddenly built up a bad relationship with a shopping centre it wouldnt be good. Especially considering the amount of times that their office has to work with our office during a typical week.

Basically, causing trouble would have been far more trouble than it was worth. It would have been fun to shout at him, but believe or not chappies, its not always the best idea to defend yourself to the last pointlessly and shout at old men with mops. Tact, diplomacy, etc.

Yahwe 4 Aug 2005 09:00

Quote:

but it was a MOP!

and seriously, if i had told him to **** off he would have brought "higher ups" around, possibly security. Im not saying that they would actually have been able to do anything to me, but if my office suddenly built up a bad relationship with a shopping centre it wouldnt be good. Especially considering the amount of times that their office has to work with our office during a typical week.

Basically, causing trouble would have been far more trouble than it was worth. It would have been fun to shout at him, but believe or not chappies, its not always the best idea to defend yourself to the last pointlessly and shout at old men with mops. Tact, diplomacy, etc.

thank you for the laughs.

Deepflow 4 Aug 2005 09:06

:)

i generally go through life with a "its not worth causing trouble unless its something important" philosophy. I certainly didnt consider that important, so i didnt cause trouble. It makes sense to me, but its nice that you are different.

Madina 4 Aug 2005 10:51

I like the way they sent a cleaner (e.g. least important guy in the building) to go and confront a potential terorist.

Blastoderm 4 Aug 2005 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaio
I'm surprised that no-one has done a range of t shirts with 'No i'm not a terrorist' printed on them.

That would be cool

There are "Don't shoot, I'm not a Brazilian" shirts on sale somewhere around Russell Square in central London last Sunday...

midge5 4 Aug 2005 12:47

I thought this was going to be a joke about terriorists at first heh.

Oter than that I would probably have done the same as you. Would save me doing any work, a pointless confrontation and if nothing else gives you a more interesting story to tell than

"someone stopped me today thinking I was a terrorist, I told him to **** off"

dda 4 Aug 2005 18:23

Actually it does make sense that they sent the cleaning person to check you out. After all, if you did blow yourself and the shopping area up, he was the guy that would get stuck cleaning up the mess.

s|k 4 Aug 2005 21:44

In the US it is usually against the rules of a mall to bring in cameras or video recording materials of any kind into the place. Sometimes they'll display those rules openly, sometimes they don't. Even though you were not in a mall, I'm not surprised at all that you were stopped.

NEWSBOT3 4 Aug 2005 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k
In the US it is usually against the rules of a mall to bring in cameras or video recording materials of any kind into the place. Sometimes they'll display those rules openly, sometimes they don't. Even though you were not in a mall, I'm not surprised at all that you were stopped.

your country is weird.

ours isnt.

Deepflow 5 Aug 2005 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k

I was in a "mall"

Yahwe 5 Aug 2005 10:09

Quote:

I was in a "mall"

you were also in england.

Deepflow 5 Aug 2005 10:10

Quote:

you were also in england.

I don't know what i'd do if you weren't here to point these things out for me, i really don't :(

Yahwe 5 Aug 2005 10:13

it's not my fault you acted like a twat henry.

and i've no intention of letting you weedle out of it now by pretending how you acted was somehow 'necessary', or in this instance by trying to compare it to an american mall, with america's totally different legal system.

if no one points out your mistakes how will you ever learn from them.

Deepflow 5 Aug 2005 10:15

i wasnt actually trying to compare it to a mall, i was just pointing out sks mistake for him. If you consider a completely unrelated comment to be me trying to "wheedle out" of an earlier argument with you, then you can if you want, but you would be wrong.

Yahwe 5 Aug 2005 10:17

Quote:

i wasnt actually trying to compare it to a mall, i was just pointing out sks mistake for him.

where did he make a mistake?

Quote:

If you consider a completely unrelated comment to be me trying to "wheedle out" of an earlier argument with you, then you can if you want, but you would be wrong.

it wasn't an argument with me.

it was your inability to argue with a cleaner.

do keep up.

Deepflow 5 Aug 2005 10:20

steven, i really have no time for someone who is going to follow me around in threads and try to make me angry. If you can't see what i was talking about then you can't, but i strongly suspect you are just trying to antagonise me, especially considering your recent behaviour. If you want to troll someone, troll someone else, im not replying to any more of your posts until they start appearing more sensible.

Blastoderm 5 Aug 2005 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
your country is weird.

ours isnt.

Isn't?

I can't understand why they banned hoodies in shopping centres. Whitleys in London banned it since 1989 apparently.

dda 5 Aug 2005 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k

Have you encountered this in malls outside of Arizona? I admit that I have seldom had the urge to start snapping off photos inside of a mall but I haven't ever seen any notices in malls in California though I haven't been all over the state going to malls. Seriously, have you encountered this in other states as well?

LHC 5 Aug 2005 22:38

Quote:

your country is weird.

ours isnt.

Quote:

Well, this is the first sign i have seen of any evidence we are on a "higher alert". I still personally think it's highly stupid, but there you go.

Part of my job atm is updating (finishing) a website for all of the shops/businesses in Kingston Town Centre (I work for KTCM which is basically Kingston Town Centre Management, a smaller company funded entirely by the council). Kingston is a small borough of Greater London, but very out of the way. Perhaps as far as you can get from Central London whilst still being a part of London. Anyway, I went out into the town centre to take photos of shopfronts for the website that I would upload later, but someone came over to me and asked me what I was doing. I explained, and he said he would have to take me up to the shopping centre manager where I would have to explain myself. Which I did, effectively marched up the stairs and into the office by an 50 something old grouch with a mop and subjected to an "interview" by a woman who clearly wouldn't know a terrorist if he jumped into her house and attacked her family (she seemed nice though). Now have had to come back to the office to get a piece of paper written which will explain exactly what I am doing and who has said I am allowed to.

The people who spoke to me said a few times "but we don't know you aren't a terrorist!" whenever I looked even slightly miffed at the whole process. Which was most annoying, though I suppose slightly amusing. Especially as given what has happened recently taking pictures of random shopfronts wouldnt seem to be pre-bombing activity.

Never mind though, so far today I've been hit by a car and said I might be a terrorist by complete strangers. Wonderful

You're wrong about that one mate.

Stew 6 Aug 2005 14:51

Quote:

*shrug*

You need one of these.

NEWSBOT3 6 Aug 2005 16:10

TERRORIST ?

(the guy on the left certainly looks like one - but that's just Dace.)

Stew 6 Aug 2005 18:14

Quote:

TERRORIST ?

(the guy on the left certainly looks like one - but that's just Dace.)

But Henry looks like he's organising/funding terrorism.

Blastoderm 6 Aug 2005 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew
But Henry looks like he's organising/funding terrorism.

I second that.

And Dace was taking orders....