Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Chose timing of quest roids (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=201484)

Dorf 13 Nov 2017 19:27

Chose timing of quest roids

At the moment it can happen that you have incomings and just finish 50th amp and 150th building or whatever stupid quest and the reward roids will just be lost.

I suggest to make them appear on the bonus page where you can chose when to "activate" them.

Kaiba 13 Nov 2017 20:37

Re: Chose timing of quest roids

When you complete a task it should have a collect button.

Hiall 13 Nov 2017 22:06

+1

Devlin 14 Nov 2017 04:50

Yes

Adapt 14 Nov 2017 08:41

amazing idea kaiba, +1

Cochese 14 Nov 2017 21:00

I like it

Veil05 14 Nov 2017 21:38

Also stops people accidentally completing quests on incoming.

Selecting collect is making a conscious decision to take them.

Remy 15 Nov 2017 12:36

+1

M3dicMan 15 Nov 2017 19:14

Yes, I too like to have the choice of WHEN I can accept the rewards for a completed quest. Nothing like completing a quest while you're asleep, gain roids only have those roids taken away a few ticks later. Grrrr

Bram 15 Nov 2017 20:40

Quote:

Subject: Quest reward claiming
Posted Fri Oct 13 17:45:07 2017

You asked

Hi,

With the new quest system it would be nice if you could manually claim the rewards instead of it being rewarded automatically when the quest is complete..

A lot of categories have 10+ quests and there are a lot of asteroids in the reward of the quest..
For asteroids timing on when to get them is important...
i.e.:
- is HCT research advanced far enough to be able to use the roids?
- are incoming hostile fleet en-route to your planet?

Right now one has to take great care in which categories to start/not start to avoid accidentally getting too much roids too soon/at the wrong time..

I think that's unfortunate.. I would like to be able to start all categories and claim the reward for them at a time of my choosing..

__
Bram
Just need to wait a couple more months to receive a reply I guess.

Forest 16 Nov 2017 18:59

You know, I did think this was a great idea when I first read it, but the more I think about it, the more I think it isn't such a good idea.

The unpredictability of finishing quests because of outside factors make them more fun.
The more you can claim them at certain times, the more it has the potential to make things more stale (for instance, no-one would claim the roids whilst under attack, so would just wait for all to block elsewhere and then claim on mass, meaning it makes it even more of a good idea to block, not less)

Mzyxptlk 16 Nov 2017 22:01

I'm also not 100% sold on this idea. You already choose their timing: when you finish the quest. Don't want the reward? Don't finish the quest! You can sit on 99% pop, or 99 amps, or 49 cov ops, or HCT 1750 for a few ticks to wait for the incs to pass. Or you can just not accept the quest, then you can still do whatever you want.

[edit] And since apparently not everyone is convinced this is genuinely my opinion: let me assure you, it is.

Lukey 17 Nov 2017 05:44

This removes half the skill of the quests, I like having to think about what I am doing and the impact that has on the rest of my game. I wouldn't want to see this feature introduced.

Makhil 17 Nov 2017 10:52

+1 Lukey, and as mz said, when there was a quest that could give me roids at the wrong time, it was easy to delay it.

Blue_Esper 19 Nov 2017 15:23

make them all auto accepted...so cons and research bonus goes straight into whatever research you're currently doing.

or make them all accept when you want

Pit 20 Nov 2017 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Esper (Post 3260717)
make them all auto accepted...so cons and research bonus goes straight into whatever research you're currently doing.

That doesn't work as well when some of the CP bonuses could easily complete your current and queued constructions.

Blue_Esper 20 Nov 2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pit (Post 3260748)
That doesn't work as well when some of the CP bonuses could easily complete your current and queued constructions.

and why should it be a benefit, when auto accepting roids isn't always?

i am in the "accept all quests at your leisure" camp. i dont think having the rewards forced on you is great, the completion the chain giving xp should be the only automated event.

Pit 20 Nov 2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Esper (Post 3260756)
and why should it be a benefit, when auto accepting roids isn't always?

So if you don't have 2k CP left in your queue you get no bonus?

Mzyxptlk 20 Nov 2017 21:37

Maybe instead, it finishes your current constructions, and adds to the bonus once they're done? You can then still add everything to your bonus by not having anything under construction, but it takes some work/timing/planning. It does seem a bit silly to force everyone who finishes a 2000 CU quest to queue up 2 FCs or lose out on at least 400 of it.

t3k 21 Nov 2017 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3260796)
Maybe instead, it finishes your current constructions, and adds to the bonus once they're done? You can then still add everything to your bonus by not having anything under construction, but it takes some work/timing/planning. It does seem a bit silly to force everyone who finishes a 2000 CU quest to queue up 2 FCs or lose out on at least 400 of it.

If I was managing my cons so that I didn't miss any ticks, I'd be annoyed if I woke up to find that I'd cleared 2 cons through bonuses and I'd not been constructing anything for 5 hours.

Auto-completion of cons/research isn't a bonus - it's an unnecessary complication.

Mzyxptlk 21 Nov 2017 18:52

If you're managing your cons, surely you can manage your quests too?

Blue_Esper 22 Nov 2017 04:55

if you missed ticks because of quests you'd be in the same frustration boat as people who gained roids when they didn't want them cos of incs/research

t3k 22 Nov 2017 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3260825)
If you're managing your cons, surely you can manage your quests too?

Absolutely, but then I could also use my mouse with my left hand - doesn't make the game any more fun, nor would it be a reward to be forced to do so.

I just mean to say that I agree with the earlier suggestion that the res/roid bonuses should also be banked, like research and construction points, rather than auto-awarded.

Ave 22 Nov 2017 10:17

I think its better when it cant be stored. So u can farm them gains off, before round end.

Mzyxptlk 22 Nov 2017 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3k (Post 3260835)
Absolutely, but then I could also use my mouse with my left hand - doesn't make the game any more fun, nor would it be a reward to be forced to do so.

I just mean to say that I agree with the earlier suggestion that the res/roid bonuses should also be banked, like research and construction points, rather than auto-awarded.

This touches on what games are on a very deep level. My take on it is that they're disorganization engines. You show up, set everything up just the way you like it, and then the game updates and your cons have finished, your fleet is about to land, someone scanned you. These events are essentially the game asking you to do something, to resolve the problem before everything descends into chaos. The way to improve at the game is to keep track of what the game is about to do and anticipate it.

If your research finishes, that means queuing a new one. Could you implement an infinite research queue, so that after tcik 0, you'd never have to look at it again? Sure, but then, when a research finishes, you no longer get that little jolt telling you you achieved something, and to decide on the next step. If your attacker is about to land, and the defense is a little iffy, that means hiding the correct ships in your base while leaving others outside to participate in the fight. Could you implement a system that hid the useless ships automatically? It'd be a little tricky (mostly because flak is sometimes necessary) but given a couple of afternoons, a coder could certainly get a long way there.

Game are about strategy. Thinking about what to do and when to do it is an essential part of what a game is. Not everything is meant to be easy or convenient. That's what makes it a game.

This particular suggestion is not really that big a deal. That's why I didn't bother posting until it became clear I was not the only one who feels this way. I do think it's a step in the wrong direction, though. A small step, but still.

Jintao 22 Nov 2017 16:46

Well one could make the arguement you can't easilly see the progress of quests when going through them. You need to go to every corner of PA to find all the values the quests are based on.

Maybe a start could be to make it more visible in the quest section or make a quests page and thus make quest progress more visible/easier to manage?

t3k 22 Nov 2017 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jintao (Post 3260840)
Well one could make the arguement you can't easilly see the progress of quests when going through them. You need to go to every corner of PA to find all the values the quests are based on.

Maybe a start could be to make it more visible in the quest section or make a quests page and thus make quest progress more visible/easier to manage?

So, like a progress bar for each individual quest? 48/50 Amps built, 23,658/25,000 XP gained?

t3k 22 Nov 2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3260837)
This touches on what games are on a very deep level. My take on it is that they're disorganization engines. You show up, set everything up just the way you like it, and then the game updates and your cons have finished, your fleet is about to land, someone scanned you. These events are essentially the game asking you to do something, to resolve the problem before everything descends into chaos. The way to improve at the game is to keep track of what the game is about to do and anticipate it.

If your research finishes, that means queuing a new one. Could you implement an infinite research queue, so that after tcik 0, you'd never have to look at it again? Sure, but then, when a research finishes, you no longer get that little jolt telling you you achieved something, and to decide on the next step. If your attacker is about to land, and the defense is a little iffy, that means hiding the correct ships in your base while leaving others outside to participate in the fight. Could you implement a system that hid the useless ships automatically? It'd be a little tricky (mostly because flak is sometimes necessary) but given a couple of afternoons, a coder could certainly get a long way there.

Game are about strategy. Thinking about what to do and when to do it is an essential part of what a game is. Not everything is meant to be easy or convenient. That's what makes it a game.

This particular suggestion is not really that big a deal. That's why I didn't bother posting until it became clear I was not the only one who feels this way. I do think it's a step in the wrong direction, though. A small step, but still.

Yeah, a reasonable point. I agree that not everything should be queued to a point of ingame autonomy for the reasons you mentioned, I just really enjoy sleeping having planned cons to the best I can before I do!

Research is almost a null point anyway as the point in the game at which you get the high res bonus payout is the point at which your next queued research won't be completed in 2000 points anyway.

Jintao 22 Nov 2017 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3k (Post 3260841)
So, like a progress bar for each individual quest? 48/50 Amps built, 23,658/25,000 XP gained?

yes

Mzyxptlk 22 Nov 2017 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3k (Post 3260841)

I like this idea. For a first version, just the text would do the trick, I think.

M3dicMan 22 Nov 2017 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jintao (Post 3260840)

I also think this would be beneficial to have instead of having to go to "history" searching for cov ops or scans for that matter. Having a separate page that is just dedicated to quests completions makes sense to me.