Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The GD Music Archive (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=182379)

demiGOD 15 Jan 2005 15:42

Re: The GD Music Archive

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
"speed and heavy" are definitely NOT adjectives associated with weezer..

-agreed - some fast and kinda unorthodox-ly heavy on 'maladroit' and 'blue album' but most definitely shouldnt describe weezer as 'speedy and heavy' - edited for everyone's listening pleasure :)

demiGOD 15 Jan 2005 16:28

:( btw.. was the saddest of all break-ups was the one with smashing pumpkins.. gives me goosebumps and shit.. pisses me off..

IncubusGod 17 Jan 2005 13:27

Rock/Pop

Muse - Showbiz

The first album from this fantastic threepiece. Subtle in places yet manic and heartfelt in others, the album swings from emotion to emotion. If you are familiar with their later work then this will feel a little rougher and far less polished. It's a snapshot of a band just starting out on a road of talented performances. Rawer than their later albums, there are some seriously impressive musical flurishes, showcasing the overall talent this band possess. A moody piece, its well worth a listen. Highlights include 'Sunburn' and 'Uno'

Soulwax - Much Against Everyones Advice

While being a nice blend of guitar music influenced by electronica, this band still retain the normal feel of a good band yet augment it with subtle twists of samples, drum loops and other embellishments.
The music is clearly Rock/Pop however and have some bittersweet songs mixed with agressive and quirky music. You get an overall sence of humour in their work which is a refreshing change from many bands who've dissapeared up their own arse.
If you're looking for something different within the Rock/Pop genre but something that doesn't stray too far from the safe cosyness of the scene then this is worth a look. Highlights include 'Too Many Djs'

Quasar 19 Jan 2005 01:01

Rock/Pop

Jeff Buckley - Grace - To this day I still am amazed at the lack of fame this man has; and deserves, could be due to the fact that he died at a tragically young age before he really hit the big time (drowned in the Mississippi while filming one of his videos I think :( ) The best I can probably describe it is soft rock although I've never really liked all these sub-categories. Took a while to grow on me but is now one of my all time favourites.

Jeff Buckley - Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk - This is the album he was making at the time of his death hence 'Sketches for...' All my doubts were dashed about the quality of a supposed unfinished album immediately after listening to this. Contains 2 CD's with the first to my ear sounding like a finished album, the second...I think thats where the 'sketches more applies. Takes on a slightly more harder sound in this compared to his debut Grace, Even though I find the second CD a bit lacking its still worth it for the 1st.

Nodrog 28 Jan 2005 17:31

The Halifax Pier - The Halifax Pier (soft rock)

Fantastically mellow, melancholic guitar based music. One of the most relaxing albums I've ever heard. Standout tracks - Untitled (yes, that's the actual name), Halifax Bound, Chance to Leave, Strange News From Another Star (but get the whole album).

Dark-Strider 3 Feb 2005 00:58

Tom McRae - Self Titled Debut Album ( Acoustic Folky Type Rock)

This album is truly a work of genius. From the harsh stretched vocals on tracks such as Bloodless and The Boy With The Bubble Gun to the uplifting mellow but still wide range of vocal tones on Draw Down The Stars, and 2nd Law to the rock/pop but ultimately depressing End Of The World (Dose Me Up). This album excels. There is not a bad song on the album in my opinion. If you like the style of Damien Rice with a rougher darker edge then this album is for you. Reminds me of Nick Drake. Some people may find that Tom McRae's voice grates on the 1st listen but as you listen to it more and more, you'll ultimately see how rewarding it is. Tom McRae's 2nd album "Just Like Blood" is also worth a mention, as it is just as good if not a bit more uplifting.

Damien Rice - O (Acoustic Folky Type Rock)

I know this has already been mentioned but to be honest it deserves a proper review. O is truly a fantastic album. From the 1st track Delicate with its sweeping vocals and intricate lyrics to the heartfelt The Blowers Daughter ( Which is the title song of the film "Closer") it draws the listener in. The simple instrumental use makes it sound like Damien Rice could have recorded it in your house. Standout tracks on the album for me are Cannonball a soft melodic trawl through the trials and tribulations of breaking up with a girl, to the oceanic harmonies of Cold Water theres a song for every mood in this album. The whole record I find can cheer me up and make me cry in equal measures. The whole tracks lead into each other sublimely so it sounds like your listening to an epic opera esque album. There's even 2 hidden tracks for you to fin incorporated in the last track Eskimo which features back-up singing from an Opera singer. This album is Essential in every way.

Knight Theamion 9 Feb 2005 01:45

Raggea/Hiphop

Postmen - Documents

With some nice lyrics and not to much 'wanting to be down with the gangstahs' attitude this is a nicely composed album. Songs like cocktale and cocktail are good examples as well is crisis.
Best it is listened on shuffle without the interludes in it, althought those are pretty nice baselines.

xtrasyn 17 Feb 2005 12:45

ROCK AND ROLL

Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti

It´s a common rock album but the lyrics are very strong. A must-pickup!

Weeks 17 Feb 2005 16:21

[edited] as Kura decided it'd be wise to delete his post.

OK I've added everyones choice from post #45 (Quasar's Jeff Buckley one) onewards. If you're post comes after Quasar's please delete your post. Please don't delete your post Quasar, as you'll nob my system right up!

I've also added the following peoples albums, so you can delete your posts:

• Incubus God's Soulwax post.
  • Nodrog's Ace of Base post.
  • Silversmoke's cannibal ox post.
  • SYMM'S post.
(I'll add the rest later)

From now on i'm not going to update the main post if there's only like a page and a half of new albums, as it's not too taxing to read them.

midge5 18 Feb 2005 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weeks
midget5 ~Catch 22 -Keasbey Nights

That's harsh man :(

Weeks 18 Feb 2005 18:36

lol i read your name wrong.
correcting...
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Yahwe's Vera post has also been added.

Structural Integrity 15 Mar 2005 20:33

This is not an album, but if you have the time check out Majandra et RoBERT - le prince bleu d'arthelius. The song is featured on this site. I love the dual parts, and although when you try and listen to the individual voices it sounds like it's all wrong, as a whole this is a great song.
Don't bother checking out anything else of Majandra Delfino because she's shit.

Obliterate 15 Mar 2005 21:08

Rock/Punk

Hot Hot Heat - Make Up The Breakdown - Riding the wave of retropunk with their debut Make Up the Breakdown, Vancouver natives Hot Hot Heat look set to sweep away Canada's reputation for bland beige-pop in a flash flood of jagged riffs, ska-flavoured skips and post modern hits (Amazon.co.uk). Standout songs: Oh Goddammit, Bandages

Phang 15 Mar 2005 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obliterate
Rock/Punk

Hot Hot Heat - Make Up The Breakdown - Riding the wave of retropunk with their debut Make Up the Breakdown, Vancouver natives Hot Hot Heat look set to sweep away Canada's reputation for bland beige-pop in a flash flood of jagged riffs, ska-flavoured skips and post modern hits (Amazon.co.uk). Standout songs: Oh Goddammit, Bandages

i haven't listened to this in months, but it's a great album and bandages is an orgasm set to music.

furball 20 Mar 2005 23:11

Rock/Punk (I guess)

The Killers - Hot Fuss - The album opens with raw energy and power in "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", and then slams into "Mr Brightside" and "Smile Like You Mean It", both top 10 singles. Next on the album is the anthemic "Somebody Told Me", probably my favourite song in the world right now. It never gets old. Their songs are dramatic yet impassioned, while whe synth and echo is very eighties but doesn't sound dated. The catchiest album of the year.

Structural Integrity 25 Mar 2005 22:28

I can't believe no one has mentioned Apocalyptica yet.

Genre:
Classical Metal ? Heavy classic ? God knows...

Apocalyptica - Reflections - Apocalyptica, metal with chello's. Whoever came up with that combination must have been nuts... or a genius... Although Apocalyptica is better known by their Metallica covers with chello's, this is an album of their own. Most tracks are rather fast-paced but with a classical undertone due to the chello's. In my opnion it would make a great Sound Track for a movie. Listen to the Prologue and No Education on this album to get an idea of their style.

Knight Theamion 30 Mar 2005 00:57

Apollo 440 - Dude descending a staircase

A brilliant masterpiece which is the real sequel to 'Electroglide in blue', which songs have been used over and over in movies and the like. Electroglide in blue opened for me the world of music. This sheer brilliance is unimaginable and with Dude descending a staircase, they finally found a good successor, after 2 years of work in their studio.

Rikard 1 Apr 2005 00:16

Indie Rock n Roll

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Take them on on their own
BRMC is a three man band which combines a great bassguitar with brilliant guitarriffs to produce a massive wall of rock n roll music. Their music relies heavily on improvisations and you notice that during the album. The bridges in some songs like US Goverment and Heart+Soul are songs on their own. I'll add a quote because NME can say it much better then i can...
" In a world where dissenting voices find themselves ever more marginalized, 'Take Them On, On Your Own' proves that it is possible to have something to say, while at the same time making a record that's so exciting, different and brilliantly executed, it will suck the air from your lungs."
copypasted from http://nme.com/reviews/11359.htm which gave the CD a 9/10 score
my personal all time favorite band and record

Rikard 1 Apr 2005 00:24

(Dance)-Rock

Kasabian - selftitled
Kasabian make Rock very danceable. Though Kasabian is much much better live then they are on record i would still want to recommand this album. With nice (but simple) drums and a good combination of guitars, vocals and a few samples they made an album which can be used for lounge music when set quietly or as very good dancemusic when played very loud. Interested? You can listen to the whole album and a couple of B-side on http://kasabian.co.uk/nme (this is their official homepage)

lokken 3 Apr 2005 23:50

I'd forgotten about this album until it randomly came on my playlist today

Stereophonics - Word Gets Around This album is quite simply, their best by far - if you hate them for their later stuff it's understandable, but this album is simply excellent. Great Indie tunes with a fantastic rawness you just don't get on their other albums. Great from start to finish, highlights are Thousand Trees, Looks like Chaplin, Local Boy In The Photograph (my personal favourite), Not up to you, check my eyelids for holes and billy davey's daughter.

SYMM 3 Apr 2005 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phang
i haven't listened to this in months, but it's a great album and bandages is an orgasm set to music.

Not long til their new album, some time later this month I think?

They were brilliant live, and supported by Franz Ferdinand months before NME found them, and The Fiery Furnaces (who are ace) was an excellent night out. Even if it was in Wolverhampton

Phang 4 Apr 2005 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYMM
They were brilliant live

saw them at leeds 03 and i can wholeheartedly verify this.

cnaw 14 Apr 2005 22:25

Metal Opera

Aina-Days Of Rising Doom - (The name of this "band" could easily be called "Various Artists" as the number of people who contributed to this project is vast. It was produced by Sascha Paeth and Robert Hunecke-Rizzo. The story and lyrics were written by Amanda Somerville. In total over 40 people took part; too many to list here.)

ceres 23 Apr 2005 11:37

Jose Gonzalez - Crosses

You can listen to it here http://www.peacefrog.com/ just refresh to page a few times til it gets to it.
________
I inhale vaporizer

SYMM 23 Apr 2005 12:00

The Go! Team- Thunder, Lightening, Strike
Rather good, a very happy album, very catchy and danceable. I can't see how anyone could listen to Ladyflash without wanting to move about :)

Lupin 23 Apr 2005 12:53

JAZZ

Coleman Hawkins - Desafinado

Coleman Hawkins meets Bossa Nova. Hawkins, a giant in Jazz's history, plays this short CD (~ 36 min) on a superb high level. It is fantastic to listen to his sensitive play of his Tenor-Saxophon, combined with the easy going rythm of Latin Jazz. Perfect 'good mood' music.

jerome 23 Apr 2005 15:50

I'd like to think my music taste has matured a bit further since I last posted, looking back on my vote for The Used's In Love And Death which is really appalling, looking back. Regardless:

Alternate Punk

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

It's rare when a good band such breaks apart and the offspring of the broken bands turn out to be even better. This is the case at hand especially when regarding former At The Drive In members in The Mars Volta. After their magnificent last album (DiTC, which is already in this archive), they have gone one step further, taking on the loss of their band member and good friend head on and conceptually enhancing the beauty of their music. I went to a gig of theirs in brixton academy a month and a bit ago, it was THE best gig I have ever been to, 2-3 hours of mars volta only. Random jam sessions, non-sensical lyrics (they make up words to force their listeners to search deeper for meanings) added with the general theme of punk music in salsa lengths make this album one of the best released in the past few years.
Trial Track: "Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore"

Emo

Armor For Sleep - Dream To Make Believe

The band's punchy, up-front guitars and vocals sound perfect, and the clean, spacey sound of the guitar hooks are evident from start to stop on the disc. The singerss consistent hook writing, showcased in songs like The Wanderer's Guild and Being Your Walls especially, is amazing and truly original. Armor For Sleep are the only exponents of magnificent eerie rock sort of music, generally typecast as being emo due to the angst associated with it.
Trial Track: "Being Your Walls"

Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You're Dead

Building on the spacey, atmospheric nature of “Dream To Make-Believe,” the band takes it to the next level on “What To Do When You Are Dead.” The new album starts off with an eerie, spacey intro, but blasts quickly into the catchy, rocking chorus the band has now made apparent in their sound. Lots of heavier, punchier guitars and less clean, spacey guitars have transformed Armor For Sleep into a sort of catchy, dark pop rock band; much catchier and punchier than their first album, but with the classic wave of dark lyrics. Most songs will not throw you or grab your attention by your neck if you were a fan of their debut album (Dream To Make Believe) until you come across "Basement Ghosts Singing" which is eerily perfect and describes this band perfectly.
Trial Track: "Basement Ghosts Singing"

Mae - The Everglow

While I admit that the music isn’t revolutionary, that’s not to say it’s not brilliant. Swooning, delicate pianos, wonderful vocal melodies, and loud, punchy breakdowns and vibrant energy and passion are all evident. Loud, soaring choruses, and a new found energy revive the once mellow, repetitive sound Mae had on their debut. The music on this record is truly beautiful, powerful, and with a certain passion and intimacy a lot of bands are lacking these days. Though rather 'soft' for general rock/indie fans, the beauty portrayed by Mae in their 2nd full release (ignoring their b-side album) is well worth dipping into and embracing.
Trial Track: Painless

jerome 25 Apr 2005 22:23

Btw, how many people have actually gotten some of the music recommended by people here? I've gotten quite some of the music suggested in the punk genres, but only one Indie album sticks to my mind. Admittedly when I initially got Funeral by The Arcade Fire, I wasn't much impressed but a couple of weeks ago, a couple of songs by them re-appeared on my playlist and they've really started to grow on me. So, :up: for whoever recommended them (Phang? or nod? I forget)

Structural Integrity 18 May 2005 17:51

Speed rock

Peter Pan SpeedRock - Loud Mean Fast and Dirty - Peter pan Speedrock was recently suggested by a colleague of mine, and having listened to them a bit, I must say I love it. It's that typical smokey rock café music, where balding fat men in leathery outfits hang out and play snooker and brag about their "chopper".

Phang 18 May 2005 18:04

Rock

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine - Class act from Toronto. Noise, noise, riffs, noise, sheer awesomeness. Also has one of the strongest middle sections of any album ever.

midge5 18 May 2005 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Admittedly when I initially got Funeral by The Arcade Fire, I wasn't much impressed but a couple of weeks ago, a couple of songs by them re-appeared on my playlist and they've really started to grow on me. So, :up: for whoever recommended them (Phang? or nod? I forget)

I just acquired this album and agree. Wake Up is a great song in my opinion.

Ste 18 May 2005 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phang
Rock

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine - Class act from Toronto. Noise, noise, riffs, noise, sheer awesomeness. Also has one of the strongest middle sections of any album ever.

My ex-girlfriend interviewed them. Saw them live... Average i thought but original nonetheless.

jerome 18 May 2005 19:40

Indie / Emo / Post-Hardcore Punk

Circa Survive - Juturna

It's safe to say Anthony Green has one of the best voices in these days of post-hardcore punk, but he has used it to an astounding level of perfection in this record. The control he holds over his voice has a sort of darkness that makes you want to sit back and fall victim to hallucination. The cathartic rock played by Circa Survive, which is not as hard as Saosin was, but technically perfect.
Check out a few of their songs at http://www.purevolume.com/circasurvive

midge5 18 May 2005 19:57

Pop-punk

The Living End - The Living End - a Great album but the best tracks if you are looking for something to sample are "Growing Up" and "Prisoner of Society"

ceres 2 Jun 2005 15:05

Tom Vek - CC
________
Wellbutrin lawsuits

Blastoderm 22 Jun 2005 16:16

Indie/Melodic Rock (please help me categorise this)
Feeder - Pushing The Senses
People spoke of Echo Park and Comfort in Sound but this beats both of them combined. Containing 10 tracks, the record is the bands most ambitious and accomplished to date with the amazing song writing and engaging melodies the band are known for, reaching a higher level than previously achieved. You can seriously enjoy listening to this track after track... a bit like Blink 182's Take off your Pants & Jacket (although they both don't sound the same). Tracks to listen to: Bitter Glass and This Morning.

Nu Metal
System of a Down - Steal This Album!
This album features 16 tracks whose roots go back as far as before the group signed their 1995 contract with American, and as recent as the 2001 'Toxicity' sessions. Probably one of the best unreleased songs album around. Tracks to listen to: Innervision and F*ck The System.

Nu-Metal
System of a Down - Toxicity

'Toxicity' offers fourteen brand new songs written by the band that explore socio-political themes, serial killer Charles Manson's point-of-view on the environment, cocaine-addled groupies, and much more besides. More melodic and heavier than their acclaimed debut, 'Toxicity' embraces the band members' diverse musical influences which include Slayer, the Beatles and the Smiths. As vocalist Serj Tankian says 'certain points are more classic, though I don't mean in the sense of classic rock. The heavy is really heavy, and the mellow goes to some beautiful places'. An album worth having in your collection of CDs. Tracks to listen to: Chop Suey and Toxicity.

lokken 22 Jun 2005 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Indie/Melodic Rock (please help me categorise this)
Feeder - Pushing The Senses
People spoke of Echo Park and Comfort in Sound but this beats both of them combined. Containing 10 tracks, the record is the bands most ambitious and accomplished to date with the amazing song writing and engaging melodies the band are known for, reaching a higher level than previously achieved. You can seriously enjoy listening to this track after track... a bit like Blink 182's Take off your Pants & Jacket (although they both don't sound the same).

I disagree with this big time, I found this album extremely dull (a mate of mine found it so boring he threw it in the bin after 6 tracks then sold it on) - Feeder (although I like their older stuff) are not the best lyrically and without any energy in their songs really don't work - the 'coldplay' type route really doesn't suit them.

:(

Blastoderm 24 Jun 2005 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken
I disagree with this big time, I found this album extremely dull (a mate of mine found it so boring he threw it in the bin after 6 tracks then sold it on) - Feeder (although I like their older stuff) are not the best lyrically and without any energy in their songs really don't work - the 'coldplay' type route really doesn't suit them.

It's your opinion dude. I like it. :o

Cannon_Fodder 24 Jun 2005 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokken

Although this makes feeder sound shit, I agree with you, pushing the senses wasn't as good as comfort in sound, but then again, imo not many albums are

Edit: Anyone mentioned razorlight yet?

jerome 1 Jul 2005 21:15

Progressive Rock

The Sound Of Animals Fighting - The Tiger And The Duke

The Sound of Animals Fighting is a progressive rock side project of several members of Finch, Rx Bandits frontman Matt Embree and ex-Saosin vocalist Anthony Green, now with Circa Survive, along with several other unknown artists, all organized by former vocalist and trombone player for the Rx Bandits, Rich Balling.

Largely the result of a desire on the part of Balling to work with Anthony Green(vocals), who he views as one of the greatest talents in indie rock, Tiger & the Duke was actually recorded by different artists at different times, with the entirety of the recording being done with the musicians themselves never meeting. In that sense, the album is entirely improvised, even the vocals. Dabbling in electronica, hardcore and progressive rock.

The end result is an absolutely magnificent work of symphonic opera of progressive rock - featuring 5 interludes in-between the main 4 "Acts" or rather tracks, within the album. A must for prog-rock fans.