Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vote: Name the round competition for round XIV (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=186197)

Aryn 29 Jun 2005 14:01

Vote: Name the round competition for round XIV

Ladies and Gentlemen, once again it's time to decide the name of the new round. Unfortunately there weren't many entries this time round, but we have come up with a shortlist of names we feel are appropriate to the new round.

Please vote for the name that you like the best. voting ends Saturday, July 2 and the winning name will be announced with the pubilc beta and round XIV signups. Thank you and we look forward to round XIV.

PATeam

Kargool 29 Jun 2005 14:03

Re: Vote: Name the round competition for round XIV

An empty throne seems suiting since eXilition isnt playing

furball 29 Jun 2005 14:09

I agree

EDIT: sticky needed

Rinoa 29 Jun 2005 14:15

yes its got a ring to it

MrPedantic 29 Jun 2005 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kargool
An empty throne seems suiting since eXilition isnt playing

It is for that very reason that an empty throne should not be in the short list

NO round name should EVER refer to an alliance, especially not one as undeserving as exilition
Hell not even Fury and Legion who are/were FAR FAR more deserving of that got one

One questions how all these little co-incidences have occurred.
  • Exilition found not guilty by multihunters, despite previous closures
  • Exilition winning the round
  • Exilition having their egos massaged far more in the end of round ceremony then other alliances have ever been
  • Exilition having a round essentially named after them

ONE QUESTIONS THE IMPARTIALITY OF THOSE IN PATEAM WHO HAVE DECIDED THIS SHORTLIST AND THE SANITY OF THOSE WHO THINK IT WOULD MAKE A GOOD ROUND NAME

Why not reveal who posted each of the names in the short list, let us see which pateam members they all are buddy-buddy with, hell even post the complete list of submissions to see if they truely were the more deserving choices.

Should an empty throne win, then the next round in my eyes will be little more then a farce, an echo of a game bereft of competant and impartial leaders

What have they to hide?

Kargool 29 Jun 2005 14:19

Mr. Pedantic, arent you getting a little paranoid here?

MrPedantic 29 Jun 2005 14:20

Not paranoid no, but the choice of name is one of those co-incidences in a long chain. on their own they arent too bad but combined they are disasterous

Kargool 29 Jun 2005 14:23

Well.. I dont think it's the end of the world.. nor that this great conspiricy idea in Pa is very suiting. Last round was last round. I have forgotten all about it, and I dont want to remember it. Let us all please focus on the tasks ahead instead of looking behind..

MrPedantic 29 Jun 2005 14:25

looking ahead is all well and good but explain to me why an alliance, so undeserving should have a round named to suit them?
Especially since far far greater alliances in the past never had this done for them, nor would ever have if spinner was still around

furball 29 Jun 2005 14:26

I see 'An Empty Throne' as laying down a challenge to the other alliances to storm their way to the top. Where there is no one dominant force, a power-vacuum if you will.

I spent much of the round at war with eXilition, so I'm not even biased towards them.

I can just see a good round name when I see one.

Kargool 29 Jun 2005 14:27

The name suits the political situation in the game ALOT more than it calls eXilition heroes. Alot of alliances can win round 14. I am counting atleast 5-6 alliances. They are gonna battle it out, and the result will be the alliance sitting on the top. The empty throne title can aswell be looked upon as a tribute to whoever wins round 14.

MrPedantic 29 Jun 2005 14:30

the fact it calls them heros is enough.
Regardless of the other ways it can be spun to suit, the fact a round name which directly complements a single alliance is a dangerous and irresponsible precident.
Pateam are meant to be independant for a reason, this in my opinion crosses the line, or at least blurs it beyond tolerance

Kal 29 Jun 2005 14:51

to clear one point up - pateam did not know who submitted the name ideas when the short list was compilied, only I know who submitted which, and i'd have to check my email in order to find that out, which I have no intention of doing until after the name is decided.

RobbieH 29 Jun 2005 14:52

Stop being a little moaner, if your that worried about the name of the round being a coincidence then you obviously thinking far too deep. Relax a little. Chill out Man!

MrPedantic 29 Jun 2005 14:55

Whats there to hide Kal?
We're all going to find out the name of the person who submitted it anyway, and those who want their friends to vote for their own will have already told them that the one they submitted is there, and what it is.
What possible harm is there in showing who submitted each of the shortlisted entries, or showing the rejected ones

again i repeat, what do you have to hide.

Phil^ 29 Jun 2005 15:11

*sigh*
this looks like 'fun' eh.

What usually happens is :
All the entries get mailed to one person. that person then shows the complete list to pateam who each pick 5 of their favourites from that list.
those lists ( which more often then not, overlap ) are then put to the public vote.

On one hand i agree with mr pedantic a certain amount : its not a name which should really have been chosen in my opinion as its too close to certain alliances, and its irrelevent for a space game. - plus as mentioned, there was no such honour for the old-time greats such as fury, legion, concordium etc.

On the other i agree with pateam - i would be surprised if there was a mass conspiracy to ensure a certain name, or selection of names won.

regardless, the name choice is undoubtedly damaging for pateam due to the obvious implications and one i dont think i would have chosen personally for the reasons i mentioned above.

Squidly 29 Jun 2005 15:22

Personally... I think revelations is a better ones... For once, all the races ahve the *possibility* of having steal ships. A breakthrough of technology so to speak.

My two cents {.8 pence}

RamzeS 29 Jun 2005 15:32

hmmz i just like all i guess voted for echo's of time couse we don't have any idea who will win next round there are about 5 ppl fighting for it so time will tell.

hehe but it's just a chitty reason i picked that one :p i just like this one

god113 29 Jun 2005 16:34

I'd vote for 'Echos of TIme' if it wasn't for that damn capital 'i'.

Alezzar 29 Jun 2005 16:36

An Empty Throne is perfect!

Phil^ 29 Jun 2005 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by god113
I'd vote for 'Echos of TIme' if it wasn't for that damn capital 'i'.

:)
Im guessing thats just a typo and its meant to be a lowercase i

Rinoa 29 Jun 2005 18:49

isnt it Echoes of time rather than Echo's or have i failed in another grammar lesson

Smudge 29 Jun 2005 19:43

Beyond the Illusion

Mainly because the Illusion is Jolt and we must see thru them and rant about them in #planetarion

Neferti 29 Jun 2005 19:52

Divided Loyalties. Because it kinda reflects my personal situation right now with alliances. And it seems a little less crap to me than the other names (my opinion only).

Neferti 29 Jun 2005 19:58

rep: Vote: Name the round co... 29 Jun 2005 19:54 opinions are good. dont be afraid to mention its yours though, its a free vote

Just a note to whoever says that (and it's positive, in case you think it's whining), I didnt suggest any of those names, I'm too thick to come up with anything good :p

But thanks anyway!

Aryn 29 Jun 2005 20:34

an empty throne sounds more like a AoM name or something. to me it just doesn't 'fit' the space game genre. it implies we have kings.. maybe we did a long time ago (SK lolz) but imho it has nothing to do with the current situation. i think divided loyalties would be a more appropriate name since exhil players will now have to find another alliance.. etc etc.
my two cents anyway :)

neogunner 30 Jun 2005 01:53

first off, imo (which i could care less bout exilition participating or not in round 14) this whole argument bout "the empty throne" refering to an alliance is just someone that doesnt like exilition and is looking for a "below the belt" way to seek vengeance for personal discomfort.

second, the title "the empty throne" can be better interpretted like this--->the round is basically a competition between races, galaxies,alliances, and planets....so in other words its a fight for control and supremacy over others (sounds like a dispute for an empty throne to me)

third, history shows that no matter the technology or the civilization, some type of ruler or government always takes control, why should the future in theory be ne different in acknowlegding a "holder of the throne" so to speak in reference to the winners of round 14.

so imo "The Empty Throne" would be an excellent and very fitting title for round 14.....and if u want to argue still go ahead.....just remember i hav more moogles than u :devil:

Makhil 30 Jun 2005 02:25

The Empty Throne is good, for each new round the Throne is empty and planets/alliances have to fight for it.
In France, the 'throne' refers also to the toilet seat, i imagine the 'Empty Throne' means people are so busy playing PA, they don't have the time to go to the loo.

Stoner Rebels 30 Jun 2005 08:18

Reading all above, might say that divided Loyalties suits best.... Everyone supports another, can everyone be trusted... etc But more important, when can we sign up? :D

And its a little shitty if French people visit Planetarion for a ...... ;)

Kal 30 Jun 2005 09:32

I don't think there is a problem with "Throne" and sci-fi - there is absolutely no reason why one can't have terms from royalty in scifi - Star Wars is a good example of a sci-fi series with terms from royalty etc.

Lonely 30 Jun 2005 10:48

Divided Loyalties mainly because from what I've seen there's a lot of ppl who don't seem to know the word "loyalty" and because it's also a Babylon 5 episode name (ep 19 of season 2 iirc) :D

p.s. w00t my 1st post....see what work does to ppl.... :rolleyes:

Ultimate Newbie 30 Jun 2005 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPedantic
NO round name should EVER refer to an alliance, especially not one as undeserving as exilition

Without bothering to read your whole post, i'd like to point out that Round 3: A New Dawn was very similar in name to the alliance, New Dawn.

So the precedent already exists ;).

Ultimate Newbie 30 Jun 2005 12:11

[19:03] <Sovereign> i kinda like the echoes of time name, as with stealing for all races, and some rather silly comments that the stats are moving back to R1-5 type stats where everyone had the same ships etc. So in a way, R14 is harking back to the old rounds of PA :).

Plus, it would fit in nicely with the ruler/planet name that i had though of changing for the first time since R3 (when i first started). That in itself is reason enough :D.

Dotatrix 30 Jun 2005 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonely
Divided Loyalties mainly because from what I've seen there's a lot of ppl who don't seem to know the word "loyalty" and because it's also a Babylon 5 episode name (ep 19 of season 2 iirc) :D

p.s. w00t my 1st post....see what work does to ppl.... :rolleyes:

Omg, wtf, 1st post noob!!11!1 /sarcasm :D

Apophis 30 Jun 2005 12:24

Name game:

Curse of the Void

The Light of Justice

but the polls prolly closed allready so forget it

furball 30 Jun 2005 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Plus, it would fit in nicely with the ruler/planet name that i had though of changing for the first time since R3 (when i first started). That in itself is reason enough :D.

But how will I get my uber-leet intel if you change your planet name :(:(:(

noah02 30 Jun 2005 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
[19:03] <Sovereign> i kinda like the echoes of time name, as with stealing for all races, and some rather silly comments that the stats are moving back to R1-5 type stats where everyone had the same ships etc. So in a way, R14 is harking back to the old rounds of PA :).

Was my thought excactly gets my vote to :D

The Master 30 Jun 2005 14:59

Echos of Time or An Empty Throne are clearly the best names there. I'm voting for the latter because of the amount of player movement between alliances coming up to this round and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

_Kila_ 30 Jun 2005 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoa
isnt it Echoes of time rather than Echo's or have i failed in another grammar lesson

yeah its meant to be Echoes. I probably would have voted for it had it been spelled correclty

Artuaistic 30 Jun 2005 17:00

i think revelations, cos it ties in with the last round. so its got me vote.

noah02 30 Jun 2005 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kila_
yeah its meant to be Echoes. I probably would have voted for it had it been spelled correclty

Takes them 5 seconds to amend it so tell them and they will but well spotted I did not notice it myself but still gets my vote for reasons above I am sure Aryn can adjust it to be right.

p.s I noticed a few 1st time posters in here welcome to ppl who are new to the boards :D

Artuaistic 30 Jun 2005 17:57

thanx noah :P

Nadar 30 Jun 2005 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPedantic
blablabla and more bla

Ever thought about asking a mod to change your forum-name to MrPathetic instead? Suits much better.

Thought these accusations ended months ago. Definitely the wrong forum anyway. Go make a new thread on AD about it, like the 20 other people did.

berzerker 30 Jun 2005 19:51

lets all forget exil. please. its getting old now.
/me puts on hippy voice "youre livin in the past man." !

i went with divided loyalties btw. pub, bed, pub, bed :D

Dotatrix 30 Jun 2005 20:32

I voted "Scars of war." It just has that 'something' :)

ReligFree 30 Jun 2005 20:49

"An Empty Throne" got my vote. Seems fitting tbh as every round there is an empty throne no more so than this coming round :D

Mr Person 30 Jun 2005 23:06

An Empty Throne for me too. It really feels like setting the stage for the challenge of alliances for the number one spot, which seems likely to be hotter next round than most.

Vas 1 Jul 2005 00:48

Well i would vote for Echoes of Time and can we please forget about eXil fs, if you have to whine go post in AD instead!

Alki 1 Jul 2005 05:23

i cant remember which i voted for

Aryn 1 Jul 2005 05:37

the one you voted for should be in italics if you look at the list again.
and i tried to edit it but i can't edit the poll itself.. just my post :\