Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   i just joined the gym (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=190789)

roadrunner_0 5 May 2006 17:01

i just joined the gym

well, had my induction anyway, and have come to the inescapable conclusion that i must now invent time travel and kill the parents of whoever invented the distilled hell that is cross trainers before they can ever meet.

apart from that it was fine, very quiet with only one other person in so i didnt feel too self concious about the fact that i was sweating like a very sweaty thing indeed. Im going to go back on sunday morning before work, which im hoping will be ok :)

SbOlly 5 May 2006 17:05

Re: i just joined the gym

Cross Trainers are still vastly better than running machines.

Even if they do make you look like you have a natural wiggle in your hips.

roadrunner_0 5 May 2006 17:16

annoyingly, i know im going to have to use the cross trainer frequently, as i think its really one of the best bits of kit :(

my shoulders are starting to hurt

furball 5 May 2006 17:26

I like cross-trainers and rowing machines, although they're the only pieces of equipment I do like in gyms.

Instead, I'll be taking up swimming once my exams are over, I reckon that if I swim every morning all summer then I should be able to shed my gut and then get some definition in my muscles. Since I'm incredibly unfit at the moment, hopefully this'll delay the inevitable heart attack as well.

Demon Dave 5 May 2006 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
Instead, I'll be taking up swimming once my exams are over, I reckon that if I swim every morning all summer then I should be able to shed my gut and then get some definition in my muscles. Since I'm incredibly unfit at the moment, hopefully this'll delay the inevitable heart attack as well.

no, not again :o

JamMak 5 May 2006 17:49

Rowing machine is evil :(
Tho saying that, I should proabably get back to going to the gym. Haven't been in... well.. months. Rubbish!

SilverSmoke 5 May 2006 17:50

I use the crosstrainer as well after each weighttraining workout if they aren't occupied, then I'll take the rowing machines. I hate cycling and running.

Appocomaster 5 May 2006 18:39

Sorry, but it has to be said.
Silversmoke posting in gym thread shocker :p

Rachael 5 May 2006 20:44

i also joined my gym yesterday. Screw the weights i have to shift the flab first :(

JammyJim 5 May 2006 20:48

I havnt been in over a week and a half and i feel bad. im going on monday tho

:(

SilverSmoke 5 May 2006 22:15

All you really need is dumbells, barbells and olympic staves anyway.

roadrunner_0 5 May 2006 22:53

i think my main problem with the cross trainers is finding my stride, im just that little bit too tall to use it comfortably without - well, the only way i can describe it is 'swaying' as i dont seem to be able to comfortably fully straighten my legs, i was getting the hang of it a little bit at the end, going back sunday morning befoe work to have another go :)

Dace 5 May 2006 23:37

Well this is quite strange. To join the Uni gym i need to bring along my degree. On Wednesday i phoned home to see if it was there. It was. On Thursday i went back home and got it. Today i went to the gym and signed up. Tomorrow i'm going to go and play 5's in the morning (un-gym related) then go swimming for an hour or so in the afternoon. There must be something about the start of May that makes people think "****, i must get fit for summer". Well either "the start of May" or the nice weather we've been having recently (it wasnt the nice weather that made me sign up tho ... seriously).

Stifler 5 May 2006 23:45

probably gonna join a gym when I go back home for the summer

Phalon 5 May 2006 23:50

Take up a water sport.

Easiest way to stay fit.

I tend to go for cross trainers and rowing machines as well as i feel everything else is pointless (in terms of aerobic fitness) compared to those.

Rids 6 May 2006 07:13

I'm coming towards the end of my health kick now, after kicking 3 and a half stone (again) I'm getting back into the shape I want to be for the summer, nobody likes a fatty.

Dace 6 May 2006 20:15

I went and did what i intended on doing fitness wise today \o/

Tomkat 6 May 2006 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
There must be something about the start of May that makes people think "****, i must get fit for summer". Well either "the start of May" or the nice weather we've been having recently (it wasnt the nice weather that made me sign up tho ... seriously).

The fact you can't hide your skinniness or fattiness with clothes any more is probably the reason :(

Blastoderm 7 May 2006 01:27

I was just thinking about joining a local gym as my uni gym is miles away from me.

I want to get rid of my hooligan belly. I mean it'll be considered cool during the World Cup but I'd like to get rid of it.

meglamaniac 7 May 2006 15:46

I like rowing machines the best too, probably because they don't tend to knacker you out as quickly as the load is spread over various parts of the body.

pig 7 May 2006 16:32

Im so unfit its stupid.

Seriously my diet of 20 fags a die and eating when and where is taking affect, not in looks. I am still wearing jeans that are 3 years old (infact I may be a little less thinner) but that doesnt bother me, I used to be well kinda fat but fit. That makes no sense but it does to me. Now im just unhealthy. I cant run for toffee without breathing heavily.

Anyway in the summer ill cut down on the fags and go back to the gym. I might quit the fags actually.

meglamaniac 7 May 2006 16:35

"20 fags a die"

A telling slip there! Your subconcious knows you're slowly killing yourself... :up:

pig 7 May 2006 17:01

ye seriously its my worst vice, I got to cut it out.

After I finish uni ill start the elusive detox I guess and stop them ;/

Proteus 7 May 2006 17:05

I had a session with a personal trainer on Thursday - weight lifting, rowing, running, boxing, skipping, lifting deceptively heavy coloured balls, and some very strange (and painful) exercises that are supposed to help muscles I didn't even know I had.

It was a mistake. :(

I still hurt. :( :(

pig 7 May 2006 17:13

I haerd warming up and warming down helps, always sorted me out, when I went to the gym

furball 8 May 2006 00:10

I went swimming for the first time in ages today, it was embarrassing how unfit I am but I feel a lot better for it :)

Dace 9 May 2006 16:26

I have now been swimming 4 days in a row now \o/

Today i decided to see how far i could swim under water.

Turns out i can still swim a length (25m) underwater so being unfit and still being able to do that pleased me somewhat :D

Nodrog 9 May 2006 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
I have now been swimming 4 days in a row now \o/

Today i decided to see how far i could swim under water.

Turns out i can still swim a length (25m) underwater so being unfit and still being able to do that pleased me somewhat :D

I cant swim so I dont really know, but isnt swimming 25m something you should be able to do a few weeks after you learn to swim?

Dace 9 May 2006 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I cant swim so I dont really know, but isnt swimming 25m something you should be able to do a few weeks after you learn to swim?

Errrrr, i swam it underwater. I swam an entire length without taking a breath. I swam another 40 lengths in the normal fashion too (i'm easing myself in slowly).

Alki 9 May 2006 16:36

bah dace beat me, i can swim 75m underwater, but that was many a moon ago

Chunderbunny 10 May 2006 01:36

I skateboarded for 2 hours yesterday, AND some girl gave me her phone number. Shes already sending me emails with love-hearts in already and asking can she come round to mine to visit...

Convergence of tasks for the win ;)

KoeN 10 May 2006 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I cant swim

how is this possible? didn't you get swimminglessons at elementary school? we did. i believe it's even a law that children should learn it (because the immigrants hate swimming etc :salute:).

Phalon 10 May 2006 09:15

Two of my scottish mates can't swim.

They're the only people i know that can't swim and they (coincidentally) happen to be scottish.

Maybe it's not encouraged as much up north? Probably just a coincidence.

roadrunner_0 10 May 2006 10:01

its pretty cold in scotland apparently :(

furball 10 May 2006 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
its pretty cold in scotland apparently :(

That's ok, we can send them the technology with which we heat our swimming pools down south.

roadrunner_0 11 May 2006 11:37

why would we want to do that? if they learn to swin when we set off the bombs to seperate us from them, then they might still be able to swim across to the mainland

Marilyn Manson 12 May 2006 16:21

Which gym is this? Surely all the men where you live get enough excercise down t'pit?

Alki 12 May 2006 16:43

i went to the gym yesterday after about two months, and went on the step master thing for the first time ever. I tell you what if you dont like your calfs very much thats once machine to go on to teach em a lesson

1-X 12 May 2006 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Surely all the men where you live get enough excercise down t'pit?

if t'pit isn't a gay nightclub, it damn well should be

Marilyn Manson 12 May 2006 19:49

I'm sure there's a club somewhere called The Cockpit, but I doubt there's one called t'pit.

Does anyone rememeber the band T'Pau? They came from Shewsbury.

1-X 12 May 2006 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I'm sure there's a club somewhere called The Cockpit, but I doubt there's one called t'pit.

Does anyone rememeber the band T'Pau? They came from Shewsbury.

I had visions (not literally) of a hairy Geordie in a string vest saying "I just spent all night hard at work down t'pit".

His wife says "but didn't Thatcher close the mine 20 years ago?"

"Mine? Who said anything about a mine" replies the confused northerner.

Anyhoo, moving swiftly on, yes I remember "80s soft-rock outfit" T'Pau... Carol Decker had eyes too small for her head iirc.

Marilyn Manson 12 May 2006 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-X
I had visions (not literally) of a hairy Geordie in a string vest saying "I just spent all night hard at work down t'pit".

His wife says "but didn't Thatcher close the mine 20 years ago?"

"Mine? Who said anything about a mine" replies the confused northerner.

Have you ever been out on Newcastle's gay scene? I'd wager you speak from experience, the picture you've conjured up is that uncanny.

1-X 12 May 2006 21:11

I don't get out much. I don't think I've been further north than Blackpool.

roadrunner_0 13 May 2006 09:10

t'pau, names after a vulcan high priestess (according to some music programme i watched) they did china in my hand, a quality song indeed