Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Resident Evil: possibly the worst film ever made (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=182823)

meglamaniac 16 Jan 2005 00:04

Resident Evil: possibly the worst film ever made

It's airing on Channel 4 [UK] now, but it was making me laugh. As laughter is not generally considered an indication of a sucessful horror film, I came up here to stare at the intarweb instead.

:stare:

Kurashima 16 Jan 2005 00:14

Re: Resident Evil: possibly the worst film ever made

Its not technically a horror film , its just a really badly done "Dark" action flick

Like Blade but without the music.

Androme 16 Jan 2005 00:15

Yeah I agree. The beginning intro title bit promised so much - I remember when I first borrowed the DVD off a mate - I had the volume on relatively low-medium (I have top-notch speakers!) and the sub went mental - then the rest of the film sucked

The 2nd one sucked even more and the ending was utter shite.

[/end the end]

wu_trax 16 Jan 2005 00:42

is this the first one? i don't think it was that bad. not especially good either, nothing you would remember in a wekk, but still, i have seen a lot of worse movies (like the 2nd part for example)

Kurashima 16 Jan 2005 00:45

And its not the worst movie ever. Have you seen "The Postman" ?

mpr0733 16 Jan 2005 00:48

Postman was quite dissapointing after having read the book not so long before the film came out. Still, I think that Waterworld was worse.

wu_trax 16 Jan 2005 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurashima

Is that that kevin costner one? oh, yes, that was pretty bad. But just go to the cinema and watch some random comedy, most of them are an embarrassment to the human race.

Ninja_spammer 16 Jan 2005 00:48

I see your post man and raise you a waterworld.

Gate 16 Jan 2005 00:55

Quote:

Its not technically a horror film , its just a really badly done "Dark" action flick

Like Blade but without the music.

I thought the first Blade was quite fun :( But then again, I'm a 'casual' movie fan (is that the equivalent of a casual gamer?).

Resident Evil was pretty dire, but I'm guessing none of you have ever seen 'The Grim'. A dumbass mate; 'OMG THIS LOOKS GREAT', 'no it doesn't, but I suppose it is your turn to pick'.

Stupid, stupid person. Except for perhaps the Grinch, it's the worst film I've even seen part of.

wu_trax 16 Jan 2005 00:57

blade wasn't bad either, i even BOUGHT it on DVD. However, the 2nd one really sucked. i don't even want to imagine what that 'trinity'-one is like.

Gate 16 Jan 2005 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by wu_trax
blade wasn't bad either, i even BOUGHT it on DVD. However, the 2nd one really sucked. i don't even want to imagine what that 'trinity'-one is like.

Trinity is better than the second, IMO.

Still just a popcorn muncher at best, though it made me laugh pretty hard at one point.

meglamaniac 16 Jan 2005 01:50

The third one's not great.
It has a 'comedy' trick, which is some cocky guy repeatedly yelling "what the ****?!" at various points, which gets a few cheap laughs.

My experience of it was also spoilt by some dumb bint in the row behind blathering on to her friend about what happened next because she'd seen it in a review (and also repeating what the actors had just said for no good reason), until one of my mates finally got fed up and asked her to shut the hell up.

furball 16 Jan 2005 01:57

I like Resident Evil :(

Madina 16 Jan 2005 02:12

Quote:

Crybaby is the worst film ever.

Demon Dave 16 Jan 2005 03:22

What Women Want

say no more

Rids 16 Jan 2005 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac
The third one's not great.
It has a 'comedy' trick, which is some cocky guy repeatedly yelling "what the ****?!" at various points, which gets a few cheap laughs.

My experience of it was also spoilt by some dumb bint in the row behind blathering on to her friend about what happened next because she'd seen it in a review (and also repeating what the actors had just said for no good reason), until one of my mates finally got fed up and asked her to shut the hell up.

I thought that guy was absolutely hilarious.

and the 'you cock juggling thunder ****' line gos down in my book as the best line in any film ever.

Structural Integrity 16 Jan 2005 12:21

WTF was wrong with waterworld? I liked waterworld! It's like mad max... post apocalyptic movie about a bad guy who wants to dominate the world/desert and then some freaky good guy coming along and kicking his arse.
So... what was wrong with waterworld?

SilverSmoke 16 Jan 2005 13:03

Waterworld was pretty ok in my book, it's just one of those big budget movies people like to rage against the machine over. The Postman, that was horrible.

djbass 16 Jan 2005 13:37

Yeah I loved Waterworld also, never really understood the bad wrap it recieved from critics.

Phang 16 Jan 2005 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rids

and the 'you cock juggling thunder ****' line gos down in my book as the best line in any film ever.

beat me to it.

Dante Hicks 16 Jan 2005 14:18

I didn't hate Waterworld either, although I didn't love it either. It wasn't worse (or better) than many other big budget films out there.

I think the critics just had their knives out for Costner at the time. He seemed a little too up his own arse and people were wanting him to fall.

Tomkat 16 Jan 2005 14:33

I liked Waterworld - I love post-apocalyptic books/movies.
I also liked Resident Evil. If you just take it as a bit of a silly, fun film, then it's ok. Yeah I know, there are some bits that try to be scary - but as a mindless horror movie it is fun. I prefer the second one, actually.

Gate 16 Jan 2005 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rids

It was the 'new secret recipe' bit that made me laugh :(

As for Waterworld/resident evil, I found them both watchable. But whereas I'm quite elitist as a gamer, I don't really have very high standards with films. I can watch almost anything :)

furball 16 Jan 2005 16:51

I sat in my kitchen last night watching Resident Evil with my flatmates. None of them had seen it before, and all of them (despite cringing at some of the gory bits) thought that it was a good film. It'll never win any oscars, but it's a movie you can put your feet up to and switch off your brain.

Blastoderm 16 Jan 2005 23:00

RE1 is dire.

RE2 is at least closer to the game's story than RE1. Makes it slightly better in my opinion.

Androme 16 Jan 2005 23:38

I think Pokemon movie = shittest one

MrL_JaKiri 17 Jan 2005 08:47

RE1 has the hallmark of a bad horror film.

Oh my, this would be a bad time to be attacked by zombies, they say, immediately before being attacked by zombies.

slick 17 Jan 2005 11:17

1) Resident Evil ROCKED
2) Heard 2nd 1 is pretty good, haven't seen it yet
3)waterworld is a 10 beer film
4) worst film ever is PLATOON (unless u like hanging yourself....)

SilverSmoke 17 Jan 2005 11:24

People saying Platoon and Deerhunter being bad movies :confused:

I can imagine it's just not your cup of tea, in both occasions but how the hell can you call 'm 'worst' while there is so much real trash out there.

slick 17 Jan 2005 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
People saying Platoon and Deerhunter being bad movies :confused:

I can imagine it's just not your cup of tea, in both occasions but how the hell can you call 'm 'worst' while there is so much real trash out there.

Easy...... PLATOON IS THE WORST FILM EVER CREATED AND I THINK IT SUCKED MORE THAN A HOOKER ON SPEED

SilverSmoke 17 Jan 2005 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
Easy...... PLATOON IS THE WORST FILM EVER CREATED AND I THINK IT SUCKED MORE THAN A HOOKER ON SPEED

Rage on teenager, rage on!

slick 17 Jan 2005 11:41

well, as i didn't explain why before, i will now.

platoon sucks because of three things that a film requires to keep veiwers happy.

1) decent cast (ok i'll admit, charie sheen, but hes a comedy actor, duh)
2) decent plot no need to explain, its right there
3) decent ability to stop people killing themselves, although if that was the idea, Rock On!

Knight Theamion 17 Jan 2005 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonentity
I like Resident Evil :)

Tomkat 17 Jan 2005 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
RE1 has the hallmark of a bad horror film.

Oh my, this would be a bad time to be attacked by zombies, they say, immediately before being attacked by zombies.

Yeah, it's a terrible horror film (if you view it alongside other horror films). If you just watch it as a film to turn off from, not pay much attention to plotholes, and just enjoy the action, then it's pretty good.

I don't think any of them actually say "This would be a bad time to be attacked by zombies" though...

flapjack 17 Jan 2005 12:28

saying "This would be a bad time to be attacked by zombies." In the middle of a zombie infested city would most likely be the stupidest thing you can possibly say (along with "I don't want to die!")

I mean, come on, as soon as someone says that, you can be sure that you're about to get overrun by a rampant horde of zombies.

[Graham] 17 Jan 2005 14:35

looking for bad films heres a few

A.I - what a pile or rubbish. boring no REAL story nothing you dont get by watching the more entertaining (and animated) pinnochio
Bridget jones - i saw the first five mins and then left everybody else to watch one word 'tripe' (i did not get the choice of film to rent ;) )
and lastly space oddesy 2001 i actually fell asleep in the cinema it was that crap. again forced to go along with friends to see this 'classic'.

yes and i agree totally resident evil blew the best bit was people getting diced by lasers :D

i have not even bothered with the second one.

[Graham] 17 Jan 2005 14:48

havent seen that yet but the trailer looked good, but dont they always :D

so you wouldn't recommend it as a lazy sunday film?

MrL_JaKiri 17 Jan 2005 18:56

Quote:

1) decent cast (ok i'll admit, charie sheen, but hes a comedy actor, duh)

You made frogface cry.

Quote:

2) decent plot no need to explain, its right there

Wait, hold on, was this things it does do or doesn't do? It's fairly clear what's going in Platoon, at least if you have any idea about Vietnam. But then that's like approaching a WW2 film asking the background to those organised chaps with the funny cross.

Quote:

3) decent ability to stop people killing themselves, although if that was the idea, Rock On!

Given that the incidental music is largely (entirely?) Barber's Adagio for Strings, I don't think it was meant to be a happy uplifting romp through Indochina.

[edit]

Given that you say that RE 'rocked', I think your opinion can safely be stricken from the record.

[/edit]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I don't think any of them actually say "This would be a bad time to be attacked by zombies" though...

No, but they frequently utter words to that effect.

Tomkat 17 Jan 2005 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Graham]
looking for bad films heres a few

A.I - what a pile or rubbish. boring no REAL story nothing you dont get by watching the more entertaining (and animated) pinnochio

AI is a fantastic beautiful film. But then, you're watching it on the same level you'd watch a Disney film.

Quote:

Bridget jones - i saw the first five mins and then left everybody else to watch one word 'tripe' (i did not get the choice of film to rent ;) )

I take it you aren't very much in touch with your feminity. Are you English? I know too many people who would disagree with you here.

Quote:

and lastly space oddesy 2001 i actually fell asleep in the cinema it was that crap. again forced to go along with friends to see this 'classic'.

I.... god.... damn... you. Watch things on a level deeper than "ooh big guns boom people up!" with a plot. I don't like criticising people's tastes, but yours are horrific :(

Quote:

yes and i agree totally resident evil blew the best bit was people getting diced by lasers :D

MrL_JaKiri 17 Jan 2005 19:18

Quote:

AI is a fantastic beautiful film. But then, you're watching it on the same level you'd watch a Disney film.

To be fair, once the Kubrick parts run out, AI turns to tripe.

Quote:

I.... god.... damn... you. Watch things on a level deeper than "ooh big guns boom people up!" with a plot. I don't like criticising people's tastes, but yours are horrific :(

2001 is fairly crappy in places. It's the kind of thing that is fine if and only if you knew what was going on before you started watching. There's no way you're getting any kind of meaning out the film itself.

[Graham] 18 Jan 2005 00:33

Quote:

no i was comparing it to the disney film due to its 'im a real boy' plot , nothing more. your saying my taste is bad? if you actually were able to sit through this 'film' then your an odd guy indeed :D

Quote:

I take it you aren't very much in touch with your feminity. Are you English? I know too many people who would disagree with you here.

NO i am not english in the slightest! would those people who disagree be women? as ive yet to meet a male who actually liked that film.

Demon Dave 18 Jan 2005 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You made frogface cry.

Wait, hold on, was this things it does do or doesn't do? It's fairly clear what's going in Platoon, at least if you have any idea about Vietnam. But then that's like approaching a WW2 film asking the background to those organised chaps with the funny cross.

Given that the incidental music is largely (entirely?) Barber's Adagio for Strings, I don't think it was meant to be a happy uplifting romp through Indochina.

[edit]

Given that you say that RE 'rocked', I think your opinion can safely be stricken from the record.

[/edit]

i am in complete agreement with MrL here. Platoon is a fantastic film with a great score (musical score that is). Anyone who says Platoon is a bad film can **** off and get bum-loved by MM

Tomkat 18 Jan 2005 01:02

Quote:

no i was comparing it to the disney film due to its 'im a real boy' plot , nothing more. your saying my taste is bad? if you actually were able to sit through this 'film' then your an odd guy indeed :D

I got A.I on DVD for christmas. I love it :)

Quote:

NO i am not english in the slightest! would those people who disagree be women? as ive yet to meet a male who actually liked that film.

It uses a lot of English humour - such as our mannerisms etc. So maybe that's one of the reasons you don't like it.

Incidentally, I'm male, and I like it :)

Yahwe 18 Jan 2005 01:04

Quote:

I got A.I on DVD for christmas. I love it :)

It uses a lot of English humour - such as our mannerisms etc. So maybe that's one of the reasons you don't like it.

Incidentally, I'm male, and I like it :)

AI. a whole film with only one attractive concept. then teddy died.

Stew 18 Jan 2005 01:04

Sorry Tomkat, I fell asleep in the cinema when Bridget Jones was on.
However, I was in the room when it was on over Christmas and I did find myself watching and chuckling.
But it has to be up there with Pretty Woman in the chick flick stakes.

Tomkat 18 Jan 2005 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
AI. a whole film with only one attractive concept. then teddy died.

He doesn't die actually :mad:

slick 18 Jan 2005 10:41

Trust Me, Platoon Sucks.

It was a film created mearly to show to madmen in mental institutuions to make them want to kill themselves, however it managed to leak into mainstream under the titile "Fluffy Kittens"

Bridget jones didn't suck, it just didn't rock.
A.I...... I was gonna watch that film, but i got drunk instead.

Blastoderm 19 Jan 2005 22:52

Bridget Jones. Possibly the most overrated film I've ever seen in my life imho.

MrL_JaKiri 19 Jan 2005 23:37

Quote:

Trust Me, Platoon Sucks.

It was a film created mearly to show to madmen in mental institutuions to make them want to kill themselves, however it managed to leak into mainstream under the titile "Fluffy Kittens"

If it's called Fluffy Kittens, then why is it called Platoon?

I'm confused.

Nondescript Human 20 Jan 2005 02:36

I thought Resident Evil and the Chronicles of Riddick were ok, which shows you just how bad Blade Trinity must really be for me to hate it.