Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Country Vs Country (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=186573)

JammyJim 24 Jul 2005 02:53

Country Vs Country

A long time ago we had this problem....
Seemingly its rearing its ugly head again.

Country vs country. Nation vs nation. etc etc etc is all a load of crap. We are one community with people from all around the world. No country is better / worse than any other. They are different.

Nothing more
Nothing less.

At a time when cities around the western world are being bombed by lunatics hell bent on destroying our way of life so that we fold to whatever demands they make, it seems somewhat absurd to argue amongst ourselves about small insignificant differences.

There seem to currently be a huge number of 'anti america' or 'anti europe' threads.

Do not let this get out of hand. Creating two cliques of 'American users' and 'Euro Users' who never take the same side and always have little 'snide' remarks about eachother is stupid and childish. Discuss differences if you must but dont turn this into a 'well your country is a load of shit because of a) b) c)' etc.

QazokRouge5 24 Jul 2005 02:54

Re: Country Vs Country

I <3 you Jammy if it helps. Wanna hook up?

Snurx 24 Jul 2005 04:47

My country is better then yours, so says the UN! :cool:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!111111

Nodrog 24 Jul 2005 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JammyJim
. No country is better / worse than any other. They are different.

This is obviously wrong, but 'my country is better than yours' threads on the intenet are quite boring so I support your position.

Yahwe 24 Jul 2005 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
This is obviously wrong

explain

Chika 24 Jul 2005 05:46

I think its interesting, but when a person says "maybe we should leave" then it gets out of hand.

KaneED 24 Jul 2005 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by QazokRouge5
I <3 you Jammy if it helps. Wanna hook up?

Hands off my JJ you ****er!

Gayle29uk 24 Jul 2005 10:31

Yeah, we don't want to end up like these poor sods now...

roadrunner_0 24 Jul 2005 10:51

ITT i thought kaneed was MrL :(

wu_trax 24 Jul 2005 10:53

ah, df3, thats one of my favorites. almost as good as freerepublic.com

MrL_JaKiri 24 Jul 2005 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneED
Hands off my JJ you ****er!

KaneEd, stop being aggressively shit you ****tard.

Nusselt 24 Jul 2005 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
This is obviously wrong

As long as we remain within the confines of representative democracies (which would go along with the 'us' 'europe' context) there isn't anything wrong with saying that.

MrL_JaKiri 24 Jul 2005 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
Yeah, we don't want to end up like these poor sods now...

FIFTY ONE FORUMS

Tomkat 24 Jul 2005 18:35

It's funny because JJ goes to university in WALES of all places and is trying to tell us that one country is "equal" to another :(

JonnyBGood 24 Jul 2005 18:39

I can see everyone's internet skills have gone seriously downhill in my absence :(

JammyJim 24 Jul 2005 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
It's funny because JJ goes to university in WALES of all places and is trying to tell us that one country is "equal" to another :(

i dont goto university anymore
i finished.

im not a student.
im a real person

pablissimo 24 Jul 2005 20:25

England is the best, it's much better than that communist hell-hole Britain I can tell you.

s|k 24 Jul 2005 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo
England is the best, it's much better than that communist hell-hole Britain I can tell you.

Please, do tell us.

Ste 25 Jul 2005 00:07

And I was just thinking about starting a cricket thread too :(

Deffeh 25 Jul 2005 00:35

Oh, thank god you arrived to save the day and create this thread. For one horrible moment i thought we might be getting into a situation where interesting debate would rape the boards (heated or otherwise). Just because your admin doesnt mean you have to try and play Daddy Cool all the time.

Dante Hicks 25 Jul 2005 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nusselt
As long as we remain within the confines of representative democracies (which would go along with the 'us' 'europe' context) there isn't anything wrong with saying that.

Not really. It goes without saying that certain situations are preferable to others. If you had two identical countries and one passed a law which made things worse then it would be fair to say the other country would be "better" than the other (that is - better to those people who oppose such a law).

The problem is (a) that very few people bother distinguishing between a countries government, its culture, its history, and the individuals who make up said country. Christ, we had that nonsense recently when people were trying to work out who had started more wars / killed more people.

And (b) That people rarely appreciate that making better/worse comments are difficult because there's a range of issues to be balanced and involves a lot of value judgements. The United States does not have as strong a welfare state as the Scandanavian countries (for instance) but they probably pay proportionally less taxes. Which you prefer is really up to you.

Then there's non-decision things like economic conditions. Speaking only of representative democracies I'd much prefer to live in the United States than Chile - if only because the standard of living is much higer for the median citizen in the former.

JammyJim 25 Jul 2005 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh
Oh, thank god you arrived to save the day and create this thread. For one horrible moment i thought we might be getting into a situation where interesting debate would rape the boards (heated or otherwise). Just because your admin doesnt mean you have to try and play Daddy Cool all the time.

My first instinct was to reply to this with some kind of 'witty retort' to your bait but then i disregarded that emotion because tbh its not worth it.

I had complaints from a number of forum users regarding the state of play currently on the forums and also there seemed to be a growing 'cliqueness' of Americans angry at the views of Europeans.
In the space of a day we had several threads all aimed at country vs country style rants.

Hence this post. Its not designed to stifle the debate. Just to make sure that everyone is fully aware of the difference between discussion and clear 'hostility'.

QazokRouge5 25 Jul 2005 07:15

Seems dear Qazok has caused an uproar.

Roar.