Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   July's Ontological Ambivalence List (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194849)

Hebdomad 1 Jul 2007 21:12

July's Ontological Ambivalence List

You've read the title; hop to it.

QazokRouge5 1 Jul 2007 21:26

Re: July's Ontological Ambivalence List

The song "Don't Speak" just popped into my head.

dda 1 Jul 2007 21:59

Al Sharpton.

All Systems Go 1 Jul 2007 22:02

I'd like to nominate the caller to C-Span who was probably the first person to saying '****ing' on BBC Parliament.

I'm ambivalent because she was batshit insane.

Achilles 2 Jul 2007 15:12

This thread is a priority waste of time for me now.

(Mostly because I think that comment may have just won me the internet.)

MrL_JaKiri 2 Jul 2007 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles
(Mostly because I think that comment may have just won me the internet.)

Gasp in astonishment as two words with the same root share the same root!

Achilles 2 Jul 2007 15:28

But I connected them in a special and meaningful way relative to this thread. Like magic it was. I think you are jealous Jakiri, which is understandable.

MrL_JaKiri 2 Jul 2007 15:37

Quote:

But I connected them in a special and meaningful way relative to this thread.

I wouldn't really have minded, but I don't see what a pun on the phrase "a priori", or indeed the phrase itself, has to do with a thread about conflicting emotions upon being, or the nature of being.

There are a priori arguments that are also ontological, such as the argument for the existance of god that since we can conceive of a higher power he must exist, but that's not really a relevent line of discussion.

Quote:

Like magic it was. I think you are jealous Jakiri, which is understandable.

No, just bored.

Achilles 2 Jul 2007 16:16

So many fail to understand my unique genius. I can only imagine this is what Copernicus must have been feeling in his cold, dark cell all those centuries ago.

MrL_JaKiri 2 Jul 2007 16:22

Quote:

So many fail to understand my unique genius. I can only imagine this is what Copernicus must have been feeling in his cold, dark cell all those centuries ago.

For one thing, he wasn't imprisoned for holding beliefs about heliocentrism. He was imprisoned because he decided to insult the Pope in his book upon the topic.

For another thing, that wasn't Copernicus, that was Galileo.

Achilles 2 Jul 2007 16:49

I suppose confusing Copernicus and Galileo is the historical equivalent of misusing "their" and "there" and I am much chastened. However, he was imprisoned because his views were "heretical" and presented Pope Urban's own thoughts on the matter in a bad light. At no point did he directly insult the Pope.

In any case, I've now successfully managed to waste enough time being inane for one day. You must have been truly bored to bother with both myself and chika though :)

MrL_JaKiri 2 Jul 2007 17:01

Well, it was either that or go through this script and make sure all the descriptives are stylistically consistent.

Gallileo is also presented as being persecuted by the Catholic church for believing in heliocentrism, which is at best a half-truth - especially given Copernicus was arguably actively encouraged about presenting his work on the topic by a Cardinal.