Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vipers, the bane of my life! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=201741)

synch 24 Oct 2018 02:25

Vipers, the bane of my life!

I'm a real perfectionist / OCD freak, and so its having a Cathaar ship called a Viper (and I suppose also the Basalisk) that really pisses me off.

Spider - Bug
Beetle - Bug
Viper - Snake
Widow - Bug
Roach - Bug
Tarantula - Bug
Mosquito - Bug
Hornet - Bug

Past Cathaar:
Wasp - Bug
Scarab - Bug
Mantis - Bug
Termite - Bug

So as you see, the Viper is the only ship that doesn't fit the Cat naming convention. Sticks out like a sore thumb!
I guess Basalisk should probably be a Terran name too, given its typically a mythical creature, but usually Cats have Termites as a SK so I'm assuming its an outlier?

Where did the Viper name come from? How did it make it into the Cat fleet list given its obviously not a bug? Is there a backstory?

Blue_Esper 24 Oct 2018 04:13

Re: Vipers, the bane of my life!

Quote:

Originally Posted by synch (Post 3262659)
I'm a real perfectionist / OCD freak, and so its having a Cathaar ship called a Viper (and I suppose also the Basalisk) that really pisses me off.

Spider - Bug
Beetle - Bug
Viper - Snake
Widow - Bug
Roach - Bug
Tarantula - Bug
Mosquito - Bug
Hornet - Bug

Past Cathaar:
Wasp - Bug
Scarab - Bug
Mantis - Bug
Termite - Bug

So as you see, the Viper is the only ship that doesn't fit the Cat naming convention. Sticks out like a sore thumb!
I guess Basalisk should probably be a Terran name too, given its typically a mythical creature, but usually Cats have Termites as a SK so I'm assuming its an outlier?

Where did the Viper name come from? How did it make it into the Cat fleet list given its obviously not a bug? Is there a backstory?

i thought cath planets were named after venomous creatures

Pit 24 Oct 2018 07:48

Not sure about back story, but it looks like the viper first appeared in Round 11 as a battleship.

synch 23 May 2019 12:42

Again with the odd names!

XAN

Phantom - undead
Banshee - undead
Revenant - undead
Ghost - undead
Bomber - ??
Peacekeeper - ??
Reaper - undead
Spectre - undead
Illusion - undead
Vampyre - undead
Haunt - undead

Where did Bomber and Peacekeeper come from? Why aren't people sticking with naming conventions? What happened to Wraith and Nightmare? Could even have something like Ghoul or Lich.

And when will we get rid of Viper?! The only non insect on Cathaar's list!

CBA 23 May 2019 14:19

I am very upset about all of this

Could we have a comment from a admin?

Mzyxptlk 23 May 2019 15:30

Xan names have never all been spooky things: Vsharrak, Arrowhead, Fireblade, Bomber, Bolt Thrower, Peacekeeper, Broadsword have all been used at various times. I don't even know what a Vsharrak is. The first 7 results I find are all PA-related. As for Cath, Spider, Black Widow, Viper, Recluse, Scorpion and Tarantula are often used.

They're just names. Relax.

BloodyButcher 23 May 2019 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3263396)
Xan names have never all been spooky things: Vsharrak, Arrowhead, Fireblade, Bomber, Bolt Thrower, Peacekeeper, Broadsword have all been used at various times. I don't even know what a Vsharrak is. The first 7 results I find are all PA-related. As for Cath, Spider, Black Widow, Viper, Recluse, Scorpion and Tarantula are often used.

They're just names. Relax.

All cloaked ships was "spooky", just depends what era you are from i suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by synch (Post 3263394)
Again with the odd names!
Where did Bomber and Peacekeeper come from?

The initial xan names was quite long, i guess "vsharrack" was the only one who stuck.
"Xentrallis Peacekeeper" and "Andvordian Bomber" was the initial name. Ghost/Phantoms/Spectre/etc/"spooky names" was not apart of the initial xan(the race) ships.
I guess the names came from place/planets that was under the imaginative xans race control

Paisley 23 May 2019 18:18

the tards are out in force again .... its just a browser game

Vip3r 23 May 2019 21:13

I agree with the viper thing, please change it :):):D:D

Its wrong in more then 1 way :)

Cowkimon 23 May 2019 23:37

To circumvent your OCD, the "hawk moth caterpillar" (bug) can disguise itself to look like a viper snake to ward away predators.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-untamed-spd/

Its full name is too long for us simpleton PA players so instead use Viper :)

And if that doesn't satisfy you then...death to all Vip3rs..I mean Vipers! :D

Big fan of Catillacs though. Also not bug? :O

synch 31 May 2019 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paisley (Post 3263398)
the tards are out in force again .... its just a browser game

Oh cmon, it was a bit of tongue in cheek! I'm not sitting here losing sleep over names in an online game I semi-actively play as a scanner :p

But thank you for the ad hominem attack, nice to be insulted in one of my vary rare trips to the forum :D