Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The new coolest optical illusion I've seen (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195503)

Nodrog 9 Oct 2007 01:31

The new coolest optical illusion I've seen

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005375,00.html

The left/right brain stuff sounds a bit pseudosciencey, but the illusion effect is amazing. I only saw it going round counter-clockwise at first and thought people were lying when they said they could see it clockwise too, but if you look at it for long enough youll learn how to make her change direction by adjusting your perception. Its really odd because the first few times you make it change direction its extremely hard to get it back until you work out how to do it consistently, and even if you look away from the screen for a while, when you go back shes still turning in the same direction you left her (at least for me anyway).

Ive been looking at it for 10 minutes or so and have reached the point where I can make her change directions every half turn!

Marv 9 Oct 2007 02:15

Re: The new coolest optical illusion I've seen

I'm a right brained person.

Nodrog 9 Oct 2007 03:07

I think most people see it turning clockwise at first, I wouldnt pay too much attention to the right/left brain thing since I think thats a bit of an urban myth anyway (in its popular forms), and theres no citation of any research paper which connects this particular illusion to brain lateralization. Id be amazed if you could make any meaningful prediction about someone's personality based on how they interpret an animated dancer.

Its just a really really cool effect :o

milo 9 Oct 2007 05:00

If i look at it from the corner of my eye ie i look to the right of the screen and pick it up it moves one way, if i look at it directly it moves the other way. I wonder if rod/cone interaction plays a part - in a similar manner to how we view things at night. Its interesting the picture is monochromatic

Yahwe 9 Oct 2007 08:01

why are we getting this stuff about 4 days after it appears on roll on friday?

Mzyxptlk 9 Oct 2007 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by milo
If i look at it from the corner of my eye ie i look to the right of the screen and pick it up it moves one way, if i look at it directly it moves the other way. I wonder if rod/cone interaction plays a part - in a similar manner to how we view things at night. Its interesting the picture is monochromatic

I'm getting the same effect.

Right btw.

djbass 9 Oct 2007 09:56

Actually its just a twist on another classic optical illusion ref: http://www.illusion-optical.com/Opti...sions/Cube.php

The picture is deliberately monochromatic so as to deprive the viewer of any information that could describe depth. Without this information the brain is forced to project a non existant 3rd dimension onto the image. When you see the girl change direction your mind is effectively turning her inside out so that she becomes a mirror of whatever the original projection was.

Maladoni 9 Oct 2007 10:28

It gives both sides of my brain a headache. Neat.

Ceadrath 9 Oct 2007 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by milo

if i look at one of the adverts on the right instead of at it i can see the leg/arm/head moving side to side without the turning action at all, which is pretty freaky, :o makes you realise the emphasis your mind puts on it. it always goes one way or the other if i look back at it. i can't make it change direction at will tho :(

Allfather 9 Oct 2007 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv
I'm a right brained person.

nt

Tomkat 9 Oct 2007 11:13

She only goes clockwise, I can't get her to change direction wherever I look :(

Ste 9 Oct 2007 11:54

to get her to change direction look at the legs and imagine them going in front of each other the other way round... it works - very strange...

EDIT now I can't get her to do a full circle either way...

Dark-Strider 9 Oct 2007 13:56

I can only get her to go clockwise. :/

Apothos 9 Oct 2007 14:16

I saw it spinning clockwise, but when i concentrated on her shadow for a few seconds i altered my perception to anti-clockwise.

I figured if i looked away for ten minutes and came back to it i'd see clockwise again, but no, i had to concentrate once more to reverse it.

Hebdomad 9 Oct 2007 18:05

At first I could only see her spinning clockwise. Later, I managed to see her spinning anti-clockwise. I can more often than not make her spin in the other direction after about 5 spins if I concentrate (I'm ****ed if I know what I'm concentrating on though.) I was able to make her change directions on half-spin as nodrog said, but I don't do it properly in my opinion i.e. I can only do it when I look at the text on the left-hand side but not when I look at her full on.

How I did it (from seeing her spinning clockwise):

Don't concentrate on her whole image, only a section. I found the knee of her straight leg works. At first you'll not believe the knee could turn any other way. But if you look at the bumps (as opposed to the whole image) you can contort your mind into thinking that, yes, it's possible. After a while the whole image should rotate anti-clockwise.

After a while I default back to clockwise, but I can turn her back. It's interesting to look at text and do other things when she's turning in her non default direction (for you).

Also, I closed my right eye lid which helped her turn anti-clockwise. This works because each eye has the majority of its connection to its opposite cerebral hemisphere. Try looking at her for a while alternating the eye you use.

[edit] http://www.rense.com/general2/rb.htm a good article on the cerebral split.

Hebdomad 9 Oct 2007 18:21

ahah. i can get her to turn on each half-turn by just alternating my vision to the text on each side of the image. crazy.

pablissimo 9 Oct 2007 19:23

I can't seem to control it, she just flips the other way on occasion. Very cool illusion though.

pyirt 10 Oct 2007 08:52

Clockwise for me.

All Systems Go 10 Oct 2007 12:46

That is pretty sweet.

Clockwise at first.

Tomkat 10 Oct 2007 12:56

I can get it to change now! I used Week's method of concentrating on the straight knee :cool:

Dark-Strider 10 Oct 2007 15:34

I still can't get it to go any other way but clockwise. :/