Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can i justify (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=171882)

Deffeh 6 Nov 2003 10:34

Can i justify

not going to any classes today?

I live away from home for conveniane of doing just _9 hours_ a week

Went to both my monday hours, went to two of my three tuesday hours but the third was cancelled cause of a bomb scare

what

yeah, a bomb scare. dunno who the **** that was

i have 4 hours of classes today. well, 3, one is cancelled. well, 2, i should be at one right now

but i cant be ****ed going to the other two :( but i know i should :( but but but

bed

Elfhelm 6 Nov 2003 10:59

Re: Can i justify

I've been to about two lectures in the last five weeks. You work too hard.

roadrunner_0 6 Nov 2003 11:04

deffeh in not working shocker! i am sure that you can miss one day, but dont make a habit of it or someone will most likely pull you up on it.

Spearhead 6 Nov 2003 11:11

starts with quiting one or two classes and after like a month you wont visit any anymore
be a ****ing man and go to your classes, if thats the only thing you have to do deary me...wait till you have a full-time job, kids and a wife....see how you are going to wiggle out of those things :P

Dante Hicks 6 Nov 2003 11:14

It's perfectly acceptable to miss a certain proportion of classes per term. I only ended up doing 2/3 hours a week in my 2nd and 3rd years, and I still didn't attend approximately 10% of classes per subject.

ChubbyChecker 6 Nov 2003 11:16

I hardly went to any lectures and I turned out okay! \o/

Well, I got a shit grade and am now in a shit job, but hey, it's all good!

Nodrog 6 Nov 2003 11:30

If you'd paid attention in your LitCrit class you'd realise that the context of justification is completely subjective to the current observer, and that any claim by the narrator to occupy a position from which an attempt at greater objectivity than his audience can feasibly be sustained is a symptom of a maladjusted meta-narrative reminiscent of a pre-New-Critcism paradigm which has been systematically exploded by Derrida.

Deffeh 6 Nov 2003 11:51

I actually owe you an apology nodrog.

English is truly the worst ever subject.

Politics however, is ace.

Radical Edward 6 Nov 2003 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
If you'd paid attention in your LitCrit class you'd realise that the context of justification is completely subjective to the current observer, and that any claim by the narrator to occupy a position from which an attempt at greater objectivity than his audience can feasibly be sustained is a symptom of a maladjusted meta-narrative reminiscent of a pre-New-Critcism paradigm which has been systematically exploded by Derrida.

could you expand on that? or perhaps where can I read more on this derrida chap?

JonnyBGood 6 Nov 2003 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical Edward
could you expand on that? or perhaps where can I read more on this derrida chap?

I think he got it from here duder. Don't worry, I don't attend most of my classes either deffeh. That's more to do with the fact that someone going back over the same stuff you read 2 years ago isn't exactly oh my god fun. Oh and english is cool, just done badly.

PS Derrida for red

PPS I actually read what nod said and that actually makes sense, bar the fact his content is gibberish. Meta-neo-anarcho-pre-marxist-contextual conflicts in a paradigmatical dimension subjectively dependent on the systematic deconstruction of objectivism from a massive wikid see how many times you can insert the word penis in your essays without being noticed, believe me it's the only stimulation you'll get perspective.

PPPS Just use the words socially maladjusted to describe everything. Theoretically you can't be wrong as you just level the same accusation at anyone who criticises you.

Scoot951 6 Nov 2003 16:02

I don't think I could get away with skipping classes. Maybe if I was in some liberal arts program or something, but I'm having enough trouble in my engineering courses as it is.

JonnyBGood 6 Nov 2003 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot951
I don't think I could get away with skipping classes. Maybe if I was in some liberal arts program or something, but I'm having enough trouble in my engineering courses as it is.

Do you have classes for 40 hours a week?

Scoot951 6 Nov 2003 16:16

I'm on campus 30 hours a week, prolly in class/labs ~25 hours of that.

Deffeh 6 Nov 2003 16:17

nah i didnt bother going.

Im cool so long as i dont miss 33% of my english classes, i think its 3 strikes and your out of media studies.

Couldnt really be bothered today, even though all ive done is sat around. Everything seems like a chore today, playing ff7 (6th time, i know), trying to get my new computer to actually work, throwing some darts. My arms and my head feels heavy. Its just a bitch that ive been cursed with an inability to sleep while its light.

JonnyBGood 6 Nov 2003 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh
nah i didnt bother going.

Im cool so long as i dont miss 33% of my english classes, i think its 3 strikes and your out of media studies.

I have a feeling I'm already up to that 33% mark in my history of philosophy classes.

PS So glad I chose not to do engineering.

Dace 6 Nov 2003 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I hardly went to any lectures and I turned out okay! \o/

Well, I got a shit grade and am now in a shit job, but hey, it's all good!

Lupin 6 Nov 2003 18:46

Quote:

I'm on campus 30 hours a week, prolly in class/labs ~25 hours of that.

full hours? (60 min)

roadrunner_0 6 Nov 2003 18:50

one of my mates does 9 - 5 every weekday, plus work when he gets home :(
he does more than me and i work full time :)
(there again, to put things in perspective, he is doing his PhD in chemistry, so work ++ was always on the cards)

Dante Hicks 6 Nov 2003 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by idimmu
why hold up the pretence of going to university, if you arent going to attend the lectures?

On my undergraduate course, lectures were entirely optional. I've been to three different Universities (Albeit all on politics/social policy type courses) and in none of them were lectures anything amazing.

Maybe it's different for people doing some natural science or something, but I found it infinitely better to just plough through the reading list than wasting my time on the lecture.

JonnyBGood 6 Nov 2003 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
On my undergraduate course, lectures were entirely optional. I've been to three different Universities (Albeit all on politics/social policy type courses) and in none of them were lectures anything amazing.

Maybe it's different for people doing some natural science or something, but I found it infinitely better to just plough through the reading list than wasting my time on the lecture.

As a matter of interest during your various courses did you meet many non-left wing lecturers? And if so, can you remember a rough ratio? Just wondering as half of my courses are likely to be the same as yours.

Dante Hicks 6 Nov 2003 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
As a matter of interest during your various courses did you meet many non-left wing lecturers? And if so, can you remember a rough ratio? Just wondering as half of my courses are likely to be the same as yours.

Depends what you mean by "non-left wing". By your standards, they'd have all been left-wing.

The only right-wing (or rather, pro-market) lecturer I've ever had was for Environmental Politics. The class degenerated into an argument with him every single week (there was me and some girl who advocated the abolition of industrial society and return to primitive society). The lecturer never really came out and advocated anything. I recently had a lecture with Julian LeGrand who seems to be in favour with Mr Blair, and advocates more competetion in the health-service and stuff. Not exactly Ayn Rand's bitter right-wing brother though.

There's been a few Marxists (one quite attractive young lady who supervised my dissertation who seemed to own every single copy of New Left Review on her wall), and one guy who in the middle of a lecture of global politics started ranting about the evil of American imperialism to the point where he had to go and sit down.

The rest have been smug liberals of various kinds, vaguely left wing - sneering at authotarian trends or Blairite banality, but the lot of them wouldn't know a picket line from their arsehole.

Scoot951 6 Nov 2003 21:00

Quote:

Depends what you mean by "non-left wing". By your standards, they'd have all been left-wing.

The only right-wing (or rather, pro-market) lecturer I've ever had was for Environmental Politics. The class degenerated into an argument with him every single week (there was me and some girl who advocated the abolition of industrial society and return to primitive society). The lecturer never really came out and advocated anything. I recently had a lecture with Julian LeGrand who seems to be in favour with Mr Blair, and advocates more competetion in the health-service and stuff. Not exactly Ayn Rand's bitter right-wing brother though.

There's been a few Marxists (one quite attractive young lady who supervised my dissertation who seemed to own every single copy of New Left Review on her wall), and one guy who in the middle of a lecture of global politics started ranting about the evil of American imperialism to the point where he had to go and sit down.

The rest have been smug liberals of various kinds, vaguely left wing - sneering at authotarian trends or Blairite banality, but the lot of them wouldn't know a picket line from their arsehole.

If I was in your classes, I'd skip them too.

And I'm liberal.

JonnyBGood 6 Nov 2003 21:19

Quote:

Hay I acknowledge that I'm more (economic) right wing than Adolf Hitler.

Quote:

One pro-market lecturer? Mother of ****ing christ. (You better have mocked rousseau in that class if she advocated the return to pre-industrial society)

Quote:

I refuse to believe you've met an attractive marxist. The concept defies all rational belief. Looks like my classes are nothing unusual and I'm in for the long haul then.

Quote:

Most people who like to think they're liberal just pick it as an ideology because it's convenient and usually requires little thought or justification.

Deffeh 6 Nov 2003 21:44

To be honest, i havent met a pro-tory lecturer/tutor - and you know what, im seriously struggling to think of any pro-tory people besides my crazy uncle jim ive ever met in real life.

Yes, i have a distorted view what with this being Scotland, but there is such an immese tribal feeling against the Tories here you have to live with to experience. To all the people ive grown up with, Conservatism has never ever been an option, they are "the enemy". And i live in a middle class area of Glasgow.

Sometimes i wonder if Tories actually exist. But then i wake from that wonderful dream

Dante Hicks 6 Nov 2003 23:53

Quote:

If I was in your classes, I'd skip them too.

Since I'm currently technically paid to attend university (one day a week) I now attend all my classes. Because it's a depressingly "vocational" subject, the people are even stupider.

The lecturers are allegedly top of their field and constantly refer to how they advised X* last week, but they're still idiots.

* Where X is some twattish minister or somesuch

JBG : She was attractive, honest! Although she was annoyingly New Left, was far too interested in structuralism and such. Most lecturers in the UK/Europe are leftists though, as are most people who've given the subject any real thought .:cool: Bizarre right wing trends only exist in States, generally.

Deffeh 6 Nov 2003 23:59

so would you agree theres a tribalistic left good right bad thing going on accross the uk, or is it just scotland?

Its become increasingly popular to have no money at any rate, for a starrt

Knight Theamion 7 Nov 2003 00:01

Justin Timberlake is Justified.