Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favourite advertising campaign of all time (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194065)

Deffeh 15 Mar 2007 14:53

Favourite advertising campaign of all time

Whats your favourite advertising campaign of all time?

For me its no contest.

Scroll to 2003!

Yes, its the Hula hoops Steve Threlfall campaign. Probably only bettered by the "return of steve threlfall" campaign including his rap CD; a track of him being harassed by reporters and saying 'what are you doing' repeatedly. You can still play the 'feed steve threlfall' game online but i couldnt believe there wasnt anything on wikipedia about him, or youtube for that matter. A sad end to a cultural icon.

No car advertisements allowed in this thread.

midge5 15 Mar 2007 16:16

Re: Favourite advertising campaign of all time

The Carling love football one sticks was quite good, then Sony Bravia with all the bouncing balls (probably my favourite but mainly because I have forgotton nearly all adverts), and the Levi Kevin the hamster advert.

A poster of Johnny Wilkinson in plaster with the caption "More positive thinking by Brains" amused me as well.

Hebdomad 15 Mar 2007 16:31

An unoriginal choice, but the Guinness surfer advert. The leftfield track was inspired. In fact, all the Guinness adverts are frankly awesome. I cannot think of a company that does better adverts. But what really annoys me is how bar staff invariably do not pour guinness correctly and how it's always better in cans now it's brewed in (or imported directly from) Dublin. If there's one thing that's likely to push me over the edge into the depths of unmitigated violence towards human-kind it's that. Ireland is actually one of the countries I'm most likely to settle in if I do not stay in England for that very reason.

This man has a good list of adverts.
Either I didn't get that hula-hoops advert (it's funny because he's not an actor and doesn't really want to be in this advert apparently?) or it just wasn't that funny.

Deffeh 15 Mar 2007 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebdomad
An unoriginal choice, but the Guinness surfer advert. The leftfield track was inspired. In fact, all the Guinness adverts are frankly awesome. I cannot think of a company that does better adverts. But what really annoys me is how bar staff invariably do not pour guinness correctly and how it's always better in cans now it's brewed in (or imported directly from) Dublin. If there's one thing that's likely to push me over the edge into the depths of unmitigated violence towards human-kind it's that. Ireland is actually one of the countries I'm most likely to settle in if I do not stay in England for that very reason.

This man has a good list of adverts.
Either I didn't get that hula-hoops advert (it's funny because he's not an actor and doesn't really want to be in this advert apparently?) or it just wasn't that funny.

the hula hoops advert came when every stupid product was hiring every stupid celebrity to promote their shit. So hula hoops made a huge deal and had a press release and a conference and everything announcing they had signed steve threlfall to be their official sponsor.

He looks like a dopey muppet, which was just an example of absolutely genius casting.

The cameras followed him around and he was completely overwhelmed by all of it and just wanted to be left alone; they even hinted he didnt love hula hoops that much, he just liked the occasional packet. His "rap" CD was made against his will and compiled from a collage of clips of him being harrassed by hula hoop reporters - hence why the lyrics were "what are you doing what are you doing what-what-what-wicca-wicca-what are you doing hey stop that". And people everywhere sang at him and were in love with him even though he just wanted to be left alone.

It appealed to the surreal side of my humour!

Tomkat 15 Mar 2007 18:17

The Stella Artois adverts for simply having the balls to (and then pulling it off) persuade people they should pay MORE for their lager because it's expensive.

furball 15 Mar 2007 20:27

Honda - The cog (the advert where a huge chain reaction unveils the new Accord)
Carlsberg - they don't run pub teams, but if they did, they'd probably be the best in the world.

But the winner, without a shadow of a doubt, is the Anna Kournikova ad campaign for Berlei Sports Bras. The motto was genius.

"Only the balls should bounce".

We were only 14, going on a coach through central London on the way to some shitty museum. We cheered every time we saw her divine form plastered across a billboard. Good times.

Dante Hicks 15 Mar 2007 20:33

You all ****ing disgust me.

furball 15 Mar 2007 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

Washed those trousers yet?

Nodrog 15 Mar 2007 20:55

Quote:

The growing fusion between information and entertainment is a worrying contribution to the public's shrinking attention span. Agree/Disagree

roadrunner_0 15 Mar 2007 21:03

Honda - hate something, change something. But only the full version cos it was fun
Sony - the paint in the apartment blocks. again, you have to see the full version to really appreciate the amount of planning though :)

Deffeh 15 Mar 2007 21:39

Quote:

hey man im so tired of u judging me im going to storm into one of your threads and toss an angry comment towards you :mad:

o wait

Dante Hicks 15 Mar 2007 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
Washed those trousers yet?

They've got some chewing gum on them now. :(

Demon Dave 16 Mar 2007 01:26

I always remember the Harry Enfield Hula Hoops and Dime Bar adverts.

Even though you said no car adverts, **** you. The previously mentioned Honda ads and the Singing in the Rain VW Golf ad are all good

Deffeh 16 Mar 2007 17:24

please note i didnt buy any more hula hoops than i usually did during this period (ie, none). I just enjoyed the adverts. I get the fact you're doing the whole anti-brainwashing anti-system thing but its pretty retarded

Hebdomad 16 Mar 2007 17:36

They want you to think it's retarded. You're brain-washed. Welcome to part of the problem.

Nodrog 16 Mar 2007 18:55

TV ads dont annoy me much (well having programs interupted does, but not individual ones), but I genuinelly cant listen to radio ads without feeling physical disgust.

vampire_lestat 17 Mar 2007 04:16

the first person to mention barry scott will get shivved in the face.

Phang 17 Mar 2007 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
the first person to mention barry scott will get shivved in the face.

i bought a barry scott fridge magnet on ebay for a pound :)

Dante Hicks 17 Mar 2007 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh
please note i didnt buy any more <product name here> than i usually did during this period (ie, none). I just enjoyed the adverts.

Given the cost of advertising, you going round telling people how great you think the adverts are on a public forum probably has the same economic effect as if you'd bought a thousand packs of whatever.

All Systems Go 17 Mar 2007 23:29

I'm going to say the Jonathan Ross Show.

KoeN 18 Mar 2007 01:29

this one is legendary.

Dace 18 Mar 2007 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
Honda - hate something, change something. But only the full version cos it was fun

die!

dda 18 Mar 2007 06:44

I like cheese commercials.

Seeing Dace posting reminded me of one from several years ago. In it there was a young girl, I would estimate about 14 years old. She was an extremely attractive young person with a very sad look on her face. The announcer was supposed to be a photographer and kept asking the girl to say cheese for the picture. She kept refusing. Finally at the end of the commercial the announcer is funny enough that she smiles. She had one of the most beautiful smiles I have ever seen. Her mouth was chock full of braces however.

Since I was a lad in grammer school, I have always found pretty girls with braces particularly attractive. Especially when they smile.

Even now, my heart always goes out to them (in a grandfatherly sort of way, of course).

_Kila_ 18 Mar 2007 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoeN
this one is legendary.

Indeed it is; that's probably my favourite advert ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
Since I was a lad in grammer school, I have always found pretty girls with braces particularly attractive. Especially when they smile.

I had the same a couple of years back

Phil^ 18 Mar 2007 13:33

the irn bru granny-scooter advert.

.Disc. 19 Mar 2007 08:50

Men and Motor adverts are the best

.Disc. 19 Mar 2007 08:51

John Smiths one where he sends his 40 yo mum to a nursing home so he can put a snooker table in her room, and his daughter is scared of the grans moustache! cool!

JonnyBGood 19 Mar 2007 08:57

Quote:

Given the cost of advertising, you going round telling people how great you think the adverts are on a public forum probably has the same economic effect as if you'd bought a thousand packs of whatever.

Except you're not spending your own money. So who gives a shit? A fool and his money are soon parted I hear so presumably the idiot (whoever deffeh helps convince to buy this product) was going to spend it on something else which was utterly useless.

JonnyBGood 19 Mar 2007 09:24

Do you perhaps sell some form of anti-encouragement device I could purchase at a reasonable price?

Mek 19 Mar 2007 09:35

i like the lynx adverts personally.

this one got shown alot while i was at download festival last year and it still amuses me :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7bLEiIag8

p.s yes i know its axe :p

Dante Hicks 19 Mar 2007 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Except you're not spending your own money. So who gives a shit?

Me. :mad:

Well, I don't really care that much, but I'm more objecting to the notion that advertising hasn't "worked" when you're going round repeating the message yourself.
Quote:

A fool and his money are soon parted I hear so presumably the idiot (whoever deffeh helps convince to buy this product) was going to spend it on something else which was utterly useless.
True, but this way said idiots money is being directed towards companies which spend money on marketing which many of us believe is objectively making the world a worse place to live in. Similarly, while it may be funny to hear of someone losing all their money to a 419 scam, each instance means that for a little while longer socially undesirable business models remain profitable.

Of course, all this doesn't stop the fact I used to stay up late at night watching Channel 4 (in the days before internet) hoping to god they'd repeat a wonderbra ad. :(

Crowly 19 Mar 2007 11:26

http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/humo...00/REARGUN.bmp

Clearly the finest series of adverts ever made.

Dace 19 Mar 2007 12:53

You who ladies!

Not my favourite but still quite funny.

Also ... Look at Raul touching Raul

Dace 19 Mar 2007 12:57

BLOODY HELL! Talk about a blast from the past. This is my childhood right here.

-Blue Moon- 22 Mar 2007 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hebdomad
An unoriginal choice, but the Guinness surfer advert.

my cousin's girlfriend was part of the team that thought up that advert - she pretty much became rich overnight because of its aclaim, endorsements, awards and the future business it created for her and the company. she now runs a consultancy firm and the rights to a line of 'fashion jeans' in Sweden (PRP?). i wanna be in advertising :-(

Personally one of my faves has gotta be that advert for a random make of car (cant remember), where all you see on the screen is 'DIE' which is done really well and looks really sinister for the first 20 seconds, its written on peoples' windscreens, on notes in their car, scrawled on their hands, on post-it notes, etc... then it turns out it's just to remind them that their car is DIESEL - i loved it the first time i saw it.

milo 22 Mar 2007 16:25

im sure another version said eggs on gammon, steak chops

all i need is a shitty jingle and im hooked :(

You want some birdseye waffles now don't you...don't you dante.

Dante Hicks 22 Mar 2007 16:41

We once did a double blind test on whether Birdseye Waffles were better than Iceland waffles and the former didn't perform particularly well. So no, not really.

Scientific method triumphs over shit marketing!

Deffeh 22 Mar 2007 20:09

Iceland waffles are however, better than tescos waffles. Which are circular. round. what the ****! that just blew my mind :(

Re waffles; so long as they're potato waffles and not the sorry sticky sickly disgusting things americans call waffles, brand is unimportant

Cannon_Fodder 22 Mar 2007 21:12

Quote:

We once did a double blind test on whether Birdseye Waffles were better than Iceland waffles and the former didn't perform particularly well. So no, not really.

Scientific method triumphs over shit marketing!

Sainsbury's waffles were always better and crumblier, especially when used in a toaster.

Deffeh 22 Mar 2007 21:14

why would a waffle crumbling make it better by anyones definition :mad:

Frying -> grilling -> oven baking -> toastering

Cannon_Fodder 22 Mar 2007 21:17

toastering was faster, and by crumbling I mean that they weren't solid lumps of potato-like products

Alessio 22 Mar 2007 22:04

Amstelbier commercial
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YoI8s2f4MYM
It's a shame that it has subtitles on youtube, but the commercial is pure genius

The Heineken commercial is also pretty good
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x_iPvUWyzhE

Achmea (insurance company)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDn6TzM2yc

commercials on our tv are quite fun in general

lokken 23 Mar 2007 14:14

Not my favourite but:

This is totally shameless

But you'ld buy a ****ing wii :up:

MrL_JaKiri 23 Mar 2007 14:32

It's also made by G4, rather than Nintendo.

JonnyBGood 23 Mar 2007 14:37

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ItzlYo8-chg

I quite like this series of ads but mainly due to the Dublin accents/humour.

pyirt 23 Mar 2007 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mek
i like the lynx adverts personally.

this one got shown alot while i was at download festival last year and it still amuses me :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7bLEiIag8

p.s yes i know its axe :p

This never happens to me. Oh well.

Mistwraith 24 Mar 2007 01:58

the mastercard priceless commercials

my current favourite ..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02491202374013