Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Alliance Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Vision/newdawn nap (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198615)

Sun_Tzu 20 Apr 2010 07:47

Re: Vision/newdawn nap

I think Hanzi's fundamental error is that he took one point in time, a singularly small data-set if there ever was one, and tried to extrapolate a trend from that. This is, obviously, retarded.

A more truthful depiction would have been to pick a series of data-points and tried to map an accurate current trend for each alliance to see how they would perform into the future. I won't bother to do this, as sandmans already plots the past and all you need to do is notice the lines have been drawing closer for quite some time now. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out what the trend would be.

HaNzI 20 Apr 2010 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu (Post 3190817)
I think Hanzi's fundamental error is that he took one point in time, a singularly small data-set if there ever was one, and tried to extrapolate a trend from that. This is, obviously, retarded.

A more truthful depiction would have been to pick a series of data-points and tried to map an accurate current trend for each alliance to see how they would perform into the future. I won't bother to do this, as sandmans already plots the past and all you need to do is notice the lines have been drawing closer for quite some time now. It's not exactly rocket science to figure out what the trend would be.

Actually, having a roidlead is what creates this line you are talking about. I could write a formula for you if you wanted to, but how does that help the common guy? Lets stick to roids and score, and leave the nonsense out.

Edit: By the way, in a game like this we play in the moment, and its impossible to create a function that is anywhere close to as correct as using the current roidlead one alliance has :)

Veedeejem! 20 Apr 2010 08:50

btw ND, how's the sk galraiding on small planets working out for you guys?
growing an ever so large e-penis?

I salute you epic heroes of planetarion :salute:

Mek 20 Apr 2010 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu (Post 3190807)
Indeed it has, last I remember you were still bc'ing in Ely :P

indeed :) those were the days :D

JonnyBGood 20 Apr 2010 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaster (Post 3190808)
Now e lviz still got a shot at #1

What an utterly tragic win that would be. Hey guys, if you random roid newbies all round and get half your galaxy to suicide on your planet you too might win pa!

Sun_Tzu 20 Apr 2010 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3190830)
What an utterly tragic win that would be. Hey guys, if you random roid newbies all round and get half your galaxy to suicide on your planet you too might win pa!

It'd still be one of this most honorable! elviz <3

Wishmaster 21 Apr 2010 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3190830)

haha. We both know planet race for #1 is retarded at times. But we have nothing to play for really atm. I m trying to help a couple of players to get good ranks.
Also, we werent exactly happy about it, but shit happens!

Makhil 21 Apr 2010 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zotnam (Post 3190790)
Well, with Vision finally hitting DLR hard...

Vision & ND teaming up, VsN alone couldn't do much.

Foxman 21 Apr 2010 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makhil (Post 3190833)

why stop at nd... i think its the entire uni!

tobbe 21 Apr 2010 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makhil (Post 3190833)

what!?

Zotnam 21 Apr 2010 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu (Post 3190817)

More than this, he reponded to the "apprime earns more per tick" claim by adding 15% income to the roids Apprime were infront of THINLYVEILEDTHREAT, when quite clearly they earn 15% more with all of their roids. I mean, as far as picking his posts apart you don't really have to even try, the gap between the 2 alliances is now 2.5 mill so them gaining 2 mill per day is pretty accurate considering the ticks were stopped for 24 hours. I understand he has to post some drivel and get the attention off Apprime that way, but if you want to manipulate things there are many better ways than just throwing out bullshit numbers.

Uh, not sure how you figured that out hut, it couldn't be more wrong though. Vision is looking really good based on these claims :)

JonnyBGood 21 Apr 2010 18:27

As far as I'm aware it was excessum and vision who hit DLR. I certainly heard nothing about anyone else being involved although I imagine you could easily have received other random incs at the same time.

DigitalZero 21 Apr 2010 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veedeejem! (Post 3190821)
btw ND, how's the sk galraiding on small planets working out for you guys?
growing an ever so large e-penis?

I salute you epic heroes of planetarion :salute:

I was even unaware we were doing this, yea, we built up some SK's after some ally (whom I will not mention) decided to SK our scanners! And a ship is a ship, btw, me e-penis is rather small, thinking of a sexchange tbh.

Sun_Tzu 25 Apr 2010 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3190794)
New ETA for Apprime to catch up to Asc, thanks to new events: 132 ticks

If there is anything else you need help to calculate, please ask!

http://89.145.83.129/sandmans/?p=com...50&type=values

That's starting from the time you made your statement, and ending at the time when you said they should catch up with Asc.

As we can see, App passed Asc on tick 838, which is 12 ticks before your 132 estimate. Seems reasonably close, right? Except that's a discrepancy of ~9,1%, or half a day wrong when you were only predicting 5,5 days ahead to begin with. By the time you predicted they should catch up, they had already established a 1mil lead.

So what went wrong? Well, maybe this graph can tell us:
http://89.145.83.129/sandmans/?p=com...40&type=values

Clearly the fact that you failed to account for current trends, as I stated earlier, threw your calculations off. During the 132 ticks in question, Apprime grew in roids by ~15% where as Asc only grew by ~8,7%. Further account for greater XP gains for App and subtract each alliances rate of losing value due to crashes or otherwise, and you've pretty much explained the whole 9,1% discrepancy.

I won't bother to do an analysis of what these trends had been prior to this period, as I'm quite confident they would align reasonably well with what the actual outcome was.

Oh, and don't worry, I don't think we'll be needing your services as a statistician any longer.

HaNzI 25 Apr 2010 18:17

Its called a prediction. I could devscan every planet in apprime and ascendancy to find the precise income a tick. Would not be a prediction anymore would it. About unexpected events like Asc slacking on the roiding, losing a member from tag, crashes, xp gains etc. If i could predict this as precise as i could with 110 devscans, i would at least have the decency to alert the 200,000 people who died in a certain tsunami, instead of using my godly skills to pull your pants down and shit in your doorstep.

Linkie 25 Apr 2010 18:22

It appears you don't even understand what Tzu is saying :(

JonnyBGood 25 Apr 2010 18:22

Actually it's just called being wrong hanzi.

HaNzI 25 Apr 2010 18:39

Yeah i dont deny it, nor do i care. I was hoping you would realize that its impossible to make accurate predictions without accurate info. Accurate info would be devscanning 110 planets and compare, then make a judgment based on the share valuegain a tick. One can never predict the unexpected, hence why its ****ing called unexpected. The information i had available was a roidcount, then assuming both alliances had the same average bonus/mines. For all i know, they do and you cant prove me wrong without establishing the income on those 110 planets.

JonnyBGood 25 Apr 2010 18:41

What do you mean 'prove you wrong'? You were wrong. Your prediction was wrong. We all said there were reasons why apprime would overtake ascendancy sooner than 132 ticks and you decided to stick your fingers in your ears and sing "lalalala I can't hear you". Nobody was implying your windows calculator was broken and was actually giving you inaccurate numbers when you tried to do multiplication.

HaNzI 25 Apr 2010 18:48

I stated that it would take 132 ticks if both alliances capped the same amount of roids, had the same XP gains, no alliances added/removed players from tag etc. To quote myself: "Apprime is only closing the gap because of your current inefficiency" Which clearly means that if Apprime managed to accumulate EVEN MORE score through roidgains and xp, it would only be because Apprime was a better performing alliance in that period, not only because of a roidlead which the calc was based on.

JonnyBGood 25 Apr 2010 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3190764)
Hanzi, I think you missed the point of Golan's post.

HaNzI 25 Apr 2010 18:56

Your problem is actually missing the basic point in my posts, which was that Apprime would unquestionably overtake Ascendancy, but until this happened there was no reason to downplay Ascendancys chances and make apprime look like an unstoppable force.
A possible situation would be Apprime overtaking Ascendancy, with a roidlead of 7k. Then a block hit Apprime and take away 5k roids, while Ascendancy cap 2k roids. In this situation both alliances would sit on the exact same score and roids. Until Apprime actually had overtaken Ascendancy, there was no reason to fill the forums with anti-apprime propagande.

lokken 25 Apr 2010 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3190961)
Your problem is actually missing the basic point in my posts, which was that Apprime would unquestionably overtake Ascendancy, but until this happened there was no reason to downplay Ascendancys chances and make apprime look like an unstoppable force.
A possible situation would be Apprime overtaking Ascendancy, with a roidlead of 7k. Then a block hit Apprime and take away 5k roids, while Ascendancy cap 2k roids. In this situation both alliances would sit on the exact same score and roids. Until Apprime actually had overtaken Ascendancy, there was no reason to fill the forums with anti-apprime propagande.

The politics were not built this way. They were built for stagnation at that time and still are - on what planet do you think that scenario is in any way probable?

Sun_Tzu 25 Apr 2010 20:15

Well, I was bored. So I traced it back another 132 ticks with 24 tick increments and made it into an Excel file. And added some other crap to make it clearer.

http://www.easy-share.com/1910034277...atapoints.xlsx

Mzyxptlk 25 Apr 2010 21:38

In fairness, Ascendancy kicked 2 people with a combined score of 4.5m. That was entirely unpredictable (even for people in Ascendancy) and not based on any data or argument you guys used to tell Hanzi he was wrong. Had things gone as you expected, his estimate would have been too low, rather than too high.

[edit] Never mind, I was just informed Apprime also kicked people, with about the same combined score. Even if it were unpredicted, it had no net influence.

HaNzI 25 Apr 2010 23:20

The only valid argument for making an accurate prediction is based on roids and value, anything else is unpredictable factors that can go both ways. If the difference in income between alliance A and alliance B stays the same, then you have a linear graph and will be able to predict the exact tick where they will be equal. If this prediction fails, then it means something unpredictable has occured.

Ive made it a point in several posts, that my predictions were solely based on roids/value, nothing else. You still don't see that when you talk about score, it involves all predictable/unpredictable events over a certain time period.

Please keep basing your arguments on unpredictable events, it boosts my ego and i like it.

Its ****ing impossible to predict anything at all based on these graphs, because for all we know, someone does humanity a favor and drops a nuclear bomb on a certain Baltic country, effectively taking 30mill score away from Apprime. How is that for a prediction to slam in the table?

Also congratulations for missing the whole point with the prediction, to say that there was no need for any anti-apprime propaganda as long as Apprime was behind Ascendancy. Maybe it was a bit too good.

JonnyBGood 25 Apr 2010 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3190974)
The only valid argument for making an accurate prediction is based on roids and value, anything else is unpredictable factors that can go both ways. If the difference in income between alliance A and alliance B stays the same, then you have a linear graph and will be able to predict the exact tick where they will be equal. If this prediction fails, then it means something unpredictable has occured.

Ive made it a point in several posts, that my predictions were solely based on roids/value, nothing else. You still don't see that when you talk about score, it involves all predictable/unpredictable events over a certain time period.

Its ****ing impossible to predict anything at all based on these graphs, because for all we know, someone does humanity a favor and drops a nuclear bomb on a certain Baltic country, effectively taking 30mill score away from Apprime. How is that for a prediction to slam in the table?

Please keep basing your arguments on unpredictable events, it boosts my ego and i like it.

Yeah man. Apprime's higher activity levels leading to them capping more roids and xp in the meantime really was just as likely as someone nuking lithuania.

To be honest that boosted ego of yours is probably more likely to be a brain tumour.

HaNzI 25 Apr 2010 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3190975)
Yeah man. Apprime's higher activity levels leading to them capping more roids and xp in the meantime really was just as likely as someone nuking lithuania.

To be honest that boosted ego of yours is probably more likely to be a brain tumour.

So while i make a prediction based on roids/value, you choose to add a little Jonnyflavor to your soup and claim that your monkey cant jump as high as mine?
There is nothing stopping Ascendancy from capping the same as Apprime.

JonnyBGood 25 Apr 2010 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3190976)
So while i make a prediction based on roids/value, you choose to add a little Jonnyflavor to your soup and claim that your monkey cant jump as high as mine?

Let me get this right. The only things, if we're trying to make a prediction, that we should consider in pa are roids/value? So pre-round, when nobody has any advantage, any prediction of any alliance to win is as good as any other prediction?

Edit: This is, honest to god, the worst argument I can remember encountering on AD. Most other arguments rely on obfuscating the truth or selective fact-picking but you're outright denying that any sort of factors like activity or previous history or fleet composition or player skill can be included in a prediction. A ten year old could tell you that's ridiculous.

lokken 25 Apr 2010 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3190976)

Right, here's a graph showing Apprime versus THINLYVEILEDTHREAT from the position of near roid parity at tick 530, when the round settled into it's current political course.

Size growth shows general momentum. By "momentum" I mean general ability to cap roids on a regular basis, it can also be reflective of activity. The political situation at the time of your prediction was also pretty steady so we can't really say general politics changed to affect things. Particularly in a round as politically turgid as this one.

Both alliances have pretty steady rates of size growth, Apprime's being much greater than THINLYVEILEDTHREAT, because they have more momentum. The greater the gap in roids, the higher rate of value growth and as the round progresses, value becomes more influential with respect to score. Once again, score growth is greatly in favour of Apprime.

This is why Apprime were catching THINLYVEILEDTHREAT at an increasing rate. You can see this from the shape of the curves, which because both alliances don't kick many players or drop ****tons of value, are very smooth.

On that basis, you can look at sandmans in about 10 seconds and make an accurate prediction as to where both alliances are going to go. The entire basis of your analysis is wrong, which is why your conclusion is wrong.

HaNzI 26 Apr 2010 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3190977)
Let me get this right. The only things, if we're trying to make a prediction, that we should consider in pa are roids/value? So pre-round, when nobody has any advantage, any prediction of any alliance to win is as good as any other prediction?

A prediction is based on whatever you want it to be based on. The roidlead was 7k roids, which gives a steady growth. Unknown factors as mining bonus, number of mines, core research is likely to be equal.
If you do the job and find out exactly how much Apprime and Ascendancy makes, be my guest. It does however not change the fact roids/value is a solid, hardcoded and predictable feature that you can rely on.

You are free to base predictions on things like skill/activity/history, but then its not based on hard-coded features, but assumptions. I specifically said that my prediction was based on the roidlead, and i did not mix assumptions with facts. The only reason Apprime accumulated score faster then predicted was because it was a better alliance in that period of time. Both alliances had equal chances, but Apprime was better at getting roids/xp. At the same time both alliances kicked out members which influenced the scoregap greatly. Sadly someone used it as an argument to prove me wrong. Brainaids anyone?

HaNzI 26 Apr 2010 00:21

Graphs mean **** all lokken, it does not mean this will be the trend from now to ****ing forever. Ascendancy can get a grip and start performing better as of tomorrow if they want to. This will immediately change your precious graph and jizz on your assumptions. Thats the point.

lokken 26 Apr 2010 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNzI (Post 3190981)
Graphs mean **** all lokken, it does not mean this will be the trend from now to ****ing forever. Ascendancy can get a grip and start performing better as of tomorrow if they want to. This will immediately change your precious graph and jizz on your assumptions. Thats the point.

It does when you're considering long term political trends that aren't going to change. Activity does not just improve 'overnight' particularly when alliance gets set into one pattern of activity, certainly not consistently. I think this is a fair assumption to make from my experience, because what you're suggesting is easier said than done. This round is one of the most stagnant ever, thus making predictions based on graphs much, much easier than normal.

If the political situation changed this is what would happen: Roid growths/losses of both alliances would probably change, and thus differences between roid growth would change, reflecting a change in score growth. The point is that in this period nothing of the sort happened, nothing was forseeably going to happen, nothing is likely to happen, which is why your 'nuclear' analysis doesn't really hold any weight. There is no Deus Ex Machina in the play here as you would like to pretend.

Things have been pretty set in stone for a while now, hence my fantastic prediction around that time. Unless of course Apprime don't have a NAP with Vision.

HaNzI 26 Apr 2010 00:35

Actually this is just too stupid, i no longer bother to reply on this matter.
Every single day I have to prove all my work/arguments with hard facts. Luckily i dont have someone telling me im wrong just because something unexpected happens, because that would be hilarious.

Mzyxptlk 26 Apr 2010 01:23

I think the whole issue is that you didn't expect it (while lokken & co did). Unless you take factors other than current score and current size into account, your predictions are always going to be wrong.

Sun_Tzu 26 Apr 2010 01:49

The problem you are having, Hanzi, is that you are simply confused about how probability works.

If two outcomes are possible, that does not imply they are equally probable. Even if they are the only two outcomes possible, say either App will overtake Asc or it won't, without specifying a timeframe, the outcomes still have different weights, different probabilities. By identifying patterns and trends and identifying different factors contributions to these trends, we can assign them different predicting values. By calculating the risks involved in each assumption, we can asses the likelyhood of a default, and control for it.

The key here is large data sets. Where as it's impossible to say what will happen any given tick, any more than it's possible to say how long any given person will live, reality still tends to follow a bell-curve and regress towards the mean, allowing insurance companies to predict the average lifespan of their policyholders by controlling for risk factors, and allowing us to predict how an alliance will perform over a period of time.

In essence, you made a similar prediction, however you did not control for most variables, and you used only one point of data. Had you included multiple data points, you would have deduced that there was a discrepancy in your calculations, and you wouldn't have made such a foolish prediction as a specific tick.

This is all basic statistics.

rikavela 26 Apr 2010 13:00

So much BS about non important things. Congrats VSN, you win this round and thats only things what matters :D Awesome move to nap ND and secure the spot. Nicely played round and well done politics to nail it in the end.

Not like some who started naping everyone (even naped the main competitor for win) and yet failed (HI ND) :D

Once again congrats VSN, enjoy your win and let losers make schemes who will finish 3-4-5-9999, like it matters lol.

JonnyBGood 26 Apr 2010 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3191049)
Not like some who started naping everyone (even naped the main competitor for win) and yet failed (HI ND) :D

ND NAPed Vision after they'd lost the #1 spot. I don't think anyone in ND actually thought that that move helped in terms of getting #1. Much like other alliances this round they'd decided to abandon aiming for #1 and secure their alliance's position through other means.

rikavela 26 Apr 2010 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3191061)
ND NAPed Vision after they'd lost the #1 spot. I don't think anyone in ND actually thought that that move helped in terms of getting #1. Much like other alliances this round they'd decided to abandon aiming for #1 and secure their alliance's position through other means.

Securing position? Secured position doesnt get you win does it ? :D

If they wanted to NAP someone, they should have worked with some enemy on common goal ie taking VSN down. Risking instead of making stalemate...

HRH_H_Crab 26 Apr 2010 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood (Post 3191061)
I don't think anyone in ND actually thought that that move helped in terms of getting #1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikavela (Post 3191064)
Securing position? Secured position doesnt get you win does it ? :D

Always good to read before you post.