Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Hardware and Tech Support (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Atupid vista argh! (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194876)

vampire_lestat 4 Jul 2007 21:09

Atupid vista argh!

ok, it seems vista, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that it's no longer going to output audio, except for the "test your speaker configuration" thing, which still works. I've tested with both the laptop speakers and headphones plugged in the audio jack, and both give the same result.. No audio except for the stupid "left speaker noise, right speaker noise", not even a startup noise or anything.

What's going on, and how do i fix it?

Game^ 5 Jul 2007 08:52

Re: Atupid vista argh!

Uninstall Vista...

No seriousily...

sale 5 Jul 2007 15:03

not sure tbh, but could it be that there are different sliders to controling the volume?

like: master volume, midi, wave, etc.
i had something similar, heard strange midi sounds ( which could be the case with your test ) and everything else was muted...
perhaps it is worth a look :)

vampire_lestat 5 Jul 2007 17:17

it just kind of sorted itself out after a while, god only knows what was wrong with it, and i think game^ has about the right idea. Anyone thinking of running vista, just don't.

Tietäjä 6 Jul 2007 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
it just kind of sorted itself out after a while, god only knows what was wrong with it, and i think game^ has about the right idea. Anyone thinking of running vista, just don't.

Maybe in a year or two it's a better idea. After all, Windows XP isn't such a bad operating system with the updates and renewals it's gone through. What most bothers me with Vista, is that while XP is very user-adjustable, Vista has been made a pain in the arse and a self-supervising fortress in the name of "security features".

Structural Integrity 6 Jul 2007 12:49

I was still running win2k when I switched to Vista about a month ago. I skipped the whole XP thing at home as from experiences at work it didn't seem to add that much to win2k.
It was about time I switched as some new software packages refused to run on anything less than XP. So I decided to go to Vista right away. The only thing that doesn't work so far is my USB headset, which is an acknowledged problem and the fix will be in an update in the future. Other than that I'm very satisfied with Vista.

Phil^ 7 Jul 2007 05:08

my advice for anyone who wants to get vista has remained more or less constant.
Preferably dont, but if you must then at least wait for the first service pack or two to come out and iron out all the problems first.

djbass 8 Jul 2007 08:15

I can honestly say it grows on you.

I made the jump from XP -> Vista the second I could, in doing so I realised in full there may be some hiccups.

The first month was indeed a pain, top tier companies like Nvidia & Creative hadn't even finished proper drivers yet and all my games that had previously been silky smooth under XP ran like shit.

Now that its been out a few months and the drivers are sorted it has been running better than XP ever did. The performance is about the same, but everything is more coherrent and easier to do. The interfaces are much better thought out and things are generally far more stable.

It seems stable enough that companies are shipping new systems with Vista so I see no good reason to wait for the service pack (which is probably further away than you think), unless you are running some outdated or funky hardware that may cause compatibility problems.

The only bad feature I can think of is that they shipped with UAC on by default, hopefully they'll change that stance in future realeses.

Androme 18 Jul 2007 02:31

I'm in agreeance with djbass. I love Vista. I still have XP through dualboot (which an awesome skin might I add). You can check my two OS's below. I still prefer my Win XP skin but WindowBlinds can only customise so much.. Vista's skinning engine is superior.

::: Vista Desktop
http://image.bayimg.com/ca/dg/ma/ab/o.jpg

::: Win XP Desktop
http://image.bayimg.com/ca/dg/oa/ab/o.jpg

I dislike the lack of skinning support for Vista atm. but it's minor.

I am absolutely loving Vista's network diagnostic repair function.. I don't have to go to Run... CMD... ipconfig /release followed by /renew followed by /flushdns which used to happen reguarly. Now all I have to do is click a diagnose and repair option by right clicking on my lan icon in systray and one/2 button clicks later, it's repaired itself.

I have full driver support although it took me a while for example, my keyboard and mouse took a while. I don't have full application support but I have bypassed all problems by running them in Compatibility mode which so far, works like a charm.

Anyway, rather than blabber on, I love Vista and I am yet to receive more than one BSOD... and that's because I've been over-clocking my rig. Which is more than I can say for WinXP which would crash all the time etc. etc. etc. constant reinstalls every other week. Vista's ace.