Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   most ridiculous sport ever (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=185764)

wu_trax 4 Jun 2005 11:10

most ridiculous sport ever

must be 'nordic walking'

seriously, what makes people walk around with stupid sticks in their hands? it just makes them look like idiots. why not just go for a walk or jogging? you can probably get a good pair of shoes for those sticks.

Stew 4 Jun 2005 11:16

Re: most ridiculous sport ever

Women's rugby.

Madina 4 Jun 2005 11:16

I thought this thread was going to be about American football.

djbass 4 Jun 2005 11:29

or English football .. hoho!

JC 4 Jun 2005 12:05

Extreme ironing.

Phalon 4 Jun 2005 14:07

Kaber Tossing

pablissimo 4 Jun 2005 14:34

This one's pretty dumb

Yahwe 4 Jun 2005 14:46

anything involving 'ice'

Vaio 4 Jun 2005 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo

Pab wins

MrL_JaKiri 4 Jun 2005 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
anything involving 'ice'

There's nothing wrong with mice racing.

Nantoz 4 Jun 2005 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by wu_trax
must be 'nordic walking'

seriously, what makes people walk around with stupid sticks in their hands? it just makes them look like idiots. why not just go for a walk or jogging? you can probably get a good pair of shoes for those sticks.

It's not really a sport, is it?
It just a methode of training.
It's supposed to be better than just normal walking because you get the parallell movemeent between your arms and legs, plus you supposedly avoid some back problems.

It looks bloody stupid, I agree with you there.

hyfe 4 Jun 2005 18:03

My stephmother uses those sticks for walking, and forced me to try them out.

... and it was a damn lot better than just normal walking. Anybody sane would prefer a jog though, but depending on how fat/old you are that isn't necessarily an option.

Nusselt 4 Jun 2005 20:12

Is nordic walking the same as speed walking? if not i submit speed walking.

Infact anyone who tries to make a sport out of walking should be shot.

djbass 5 Jun 2005 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous Neg-Repper
No. Just no.

I didn't expect anything less posting a neg comment about football on a POHM infested board, but if you really want to be serious about this I'll explain.

For starters, it's soccer, at least your mediterranean cousins got the name right.

The players are more important than the game itself, it's like Pop Idol with a ball.

The core supporters are louts. Actually to use your own term, I find the average football supporter a bit chavish. People going about in big crowds before, during and after games beating each other up and making ruckus just because your team didn't do well. It's just a ****ing sport people, get over it.

Stew 5 Jun 2005 15:02

It's not soccer. It is football.
Most football fans are not louts but way to stereotype.
It's not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that. [Shankly]
I have no idea what POHM is (Piss Off Her Majesty?)
I did not negrep you.

Phang 5 Jun 2005 15:13

it's called 'football' it always been called 'football'. 'Soccer' came about to distinguish Association Football from Rugby Football; the latter was shortened to Rugby and 'Soccer' went back to being 'Football'. the other variants (Gaelic, American etc) that arose have, with the exception of our brethren in the West, held on to the prefixes.

JamMak 5 Jun 2005 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbass
POHM

I'm guessing Prisoner of Her Majesty. Ie, while we were deporting all our cons to aussie land they were all POHM's / poms.

Marilyn Manson 5 Jun 2005 15:43

Most sports are objectively shit, and are only made 'good' for those who enjoy them by the peripheral shite that accompanies them. (Beer, strawberries, pies, beating the shit out of foreigners when your team plays abroad, sitting down in the sunshine for hours doing ****-all but having the excuse that you're a 'spectator', etc.)

djbass 5 Jun 2005 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew
It's not soccer. It is football.
Most football fans are not louts but way to stereotype.
It's not a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that. [Shankly]
I have no idea what POHM is (Piss Off Her Majesty?)
I did not negrep you.

Historically yes, but too many other variants have squattered over the term football, and as I see it won. For your country it's fairly natural, but for mine football only ever involves an oval or egg shaped ball in whatever variant of the sport.

POHM/POM , I prefer the latter, is as JamMak said, but has become Aussie slang for the Brits. I don't like using the term British or UK people because it suggests England is more civilised than it actually is :p

I did not stereotype, I accept that not every fan is as wild, but I put such people in a minority. I can only assume two things, only the shit supporters attend football matches, and that only the shit brits ever visit our country, cause I've never met one that didn't fit the profile.

Yahwe 5 Jun 2005 17:22

that's alright

i refer to you all as 'the convicts'

as for the british people who visit you. they must be a curious breed indeed. i for one do not take my holidays in prison camps.

LHC 5 Jun 2005 17:26

Quote:

I did not stereotype, I accept that not every fan is as wild, but I put such people in a minority

lol

hyfe 5 Jun 2005 19:01

Quote:

Historically yes, but too many other variants have squattered over the term football, and as I see it won. For your country it's fairly natural, but for mine football only ever involves an oval or egg shaped ball in whatever variant of the sport.

You're not american are you?

I thought they were the only ones who misused 'football'.

Madina 5 Jun 2005 19:36

He is australian I believe.

Nantoz 5 Jun 2005 19:47

It would seem that the majority of sports called football actually involve the use of hands and/ or an oblong ball. We have American football, Rugby football, Australian Rules football, Gaelic football, and Canadian football.

But to me it doesn't really matter, because True Football is vastly more popular than any of these so-called football-games. The majority of the world's population thinks of True Football as the only one worthy of the name.

PS: I have no problem with rugby, and I even had fun playing Aussie "Football" once, but American Football is a disgrace.

Wiki on football

notsure 5 Jun 2005 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
anything involving 'ice'

Does that include "Topless Darts on Ice"

Can't say I ever saw the point - other than the obvious of course

notsure 5 Jun 2005 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamMak
I'm guessing Prisoner of Her Majesty. Ie, while we were deporting all our cons to aussie land they were all POHM's / poms.

That is one of the popular (although wrong) supposed origins of the word.

It is in fact pom - which is a shortening of pomegranate, which was rhyming slang for immigrant. The term became popular in the post-war immigration boom of the late 40’s early 50’s...and was mostly applied to british migrants as they made up the largest percentage of immigrants at the time. The term later became commonly used to refer to people of brittish origin.

Proteus 5 Jun 2005 21:41

My folk etymology's better than your folk etymology, naah naah nah naah naah.

JamMak 5 Jun 2005 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsure
That is one of the popular (although wrong) supposed origins of the word.

It is in fact pom - which is a shortening of pomegranate, which was rhyming slang for immigrant. The term became popular in the post-war immigration boom of the late 40’s early 50’s...and was mostly applied to british migrants as they made up the largest percentage of immigrants at the time. The term later became commonly used to refer to people of brittish origin.

According to Mr Snopes, we're both wrong.

Although I am the more wronger :(

It is the fruit, but it's because british sailors used to eat lots of them to help prevent scurvy. (At least that's the best guess atm.)

P.S. Pomegranate rhymes with immigrant?? :confused:

Phalon 6 Jun 2005 00:46

It does when you're ancestors are all convicts.

PS i'm fairly sure Football (the true, British version) was invented before all of the others (Medieval pig bladders et al), so therefore the other forms have merely distorted what true football is - a game played with a ball (by definition a round thing) and predominantly the feet.

KoeN 6 Jun 2005 09:09

curling.

MrL_JaKiri 6 Jun 2005 09:44

Quote:

For starters, it's soccer, at least your mediterranean cousins got the name right.

The core supporters are louts. Actually to use your own term, I find the average football supporter a bit chavish. People going about in big crowds before, during and after games beating each other up and making ruckus just because your team didn't do well. It's just a ****ing sport people, get over it.

Ahaha you're so dumb. Association Football is both more popular and came first.

And I haven't seen a fight outside a football match... well, I can't remember the last time.

wu_trax 6 Jun 2005 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoeN
curling.

curling rocks. its like the best sport ever. i really like to watch it.

KoeN 6 Jun 2005 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by wu_trax
curling rocks. its like the best sport ever. i really like to watch it.

i like to watch it too. but it's still ridiculous.

meglamaniac 6 Jun 2005 11:00

American Football: Rugby, for girls.

And to counter American claims about hooliganism in football, yes that exists to an extent, but there have been riots in which entire city centres have been decimated after superbowl games, so you're far from perfect.

MrL_JaKiri 6 Jun 2005 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac

And to counter American claims about hooliganism in football, yes that exists to an extent, but there have been riots in which entire city centres have been decimated after superbowl games, so you're far from perfect.

Australian, surely?

djbass 6 Jun 2005 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac

heh, like the man in the red hat says, I'm Australia fs :)

I'm no fan of Rugby, believe me, infact truthfully I don't even like our own football.

As to 'true' football (whatever), being more popular, I'd stake that as being 50/50, it's popular in European & Scadanavian countries, but less so in the Americas and Asia Pacific/Oceania.

Infact, the only people into it here are the poms and wogs, no one else really give a shit.

As for riots, I see them frequently whenever a big match is on. With plenty of news coverage afterwards. I seem to recall one big one in particular last year or something, thousands of hooligans in the street and on the field firing off flares and things into the grounds. It was bad enough they had to call in the british riot police, who were overpowered and did little else than stand around like ponces trying to look tuff with their shields and things.

Phalon 6 Jun 2005 13:24

Quote:

I seem to recall one big one in particular last year or something, thousands of hooligans in the street and on the field firing off flares and things into the grounds. It was bad enough they had to call in the british riot police, who were overpowered and did little else than stand around like ponces trying to look tuff with their shields and things.

You sure this was England?

If so, i must've missed this.

Flares are usually associated with the Italians.

Can't remember the last riot on that scale in English football.

Stew 6 Jun 2005 13:49

Quote:

'm no fan of Rugby, believe me, infact truthfully I don't even like our own football.

So you're criticising football, when you don't actually like any sport?

JC 6 Jun 2005 14:08

Quote:

As to 'true' football (whatever), being more popular, I'd stake that as being 50/50, it's popular in European & Scadanavian countries, but less so in the Americas and Asia Pacific/Oceania.

Its the number 1 sport in most European countries, most South American countries and i would imagine most African countries. Its not exactly unpopular in Asia either.

djbass 6 Jun 2005 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stew
So you're criticising football, when you don't actually like any sport?

I didn't say that, I only said I'm no fan of football (round ball) or football (oval ball).

Most other sports are fine though. Infact in true irony, I'm quite a fan of soccer (wogg football), go figure.

djbass 6 Jun 2005 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
Its the number 1 sport in most European countries, most South American countries and i would imagine most African countries. Its not exactly unpopular in Asia either.

The world according to UK :rolleyes:. Football/Soccer, Football/Rugby, Cricket, Tennis & Motor Racing probably take up the core sporting interests of the world. Which ones are favoured vary between the assorted cultures, Football is not the holy grail of sports, the share of popularity is much more evenly distributed than that between each country.

JC 6 Jun 2005 15:21

Quote:

The world according to UK :rolleyes:. Football/Soccer, Football/Rugby, Cricket, Tennis & Motor Racing probably take up the core sporting interests of the world. Which ones are favoured vary between the assorted cultures, Football is not the holy grail of sports, the share of popularity is much more evenly distributed than that between each country.

Cricket?

Now you're having a laugh. Only the UK, Aussies, NZ, Pakistan, India and South Africa play it really. Nobody else in Europe does to any real extent, nobody in North/South America does, nobody in Africa apart from the South Africans and Zimbabwe, and China doesnt.

Anyway i should be working and cant be arsed arguiing that football is big in practically every country apart from America, Canada and Australia.

notsure 6 Jun 2005 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamMak
According to Mr Snopes, we're both wrong.
P.S. Pomegranate rhymes with immigrant?? :confused:

Not in my eyes no - was always the flaw in the theory I quoted....I guess it kind of does - if you work at it....but why let a little thing like that confuse the issue :D

Erm btw the last paragraph from the Snoops page

"The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

notsure 6 Jun 2005 16:52

Back on topic - I'm surprised syncronised swimming hasn't been mentioned.

Yes I do know how much effort goes into it - I actually used to train with the state syncronised swimming team to improve my breathing techniques when I was swimming competatively....

But it's still one of the most ridiculous sports ever.

Chika 6 Jun 2005 17:07

To me, baseball, is the most ridiculous sport. I walked out on every baseball game I have ever been to. Its long and boring. i mean, how many times can you wach a guy through a ball and another guy swing at it? And dig this, a major accomplishment in the sport is if NOONE hits the ball!!!!!111! How entertaining is that?

notsure 6 Jun 2005 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chika
To me, baseball, is the most ridiculous sport. I walked out on every baseball game I have ever been to. Its long and boring. i mean, how many times can you wach a guy through a ball and another guy swing at it? And dig this, a major accomplishment in the sport is if NOONE hits the ball!!!!!111! How entertaining is that?

Sounds just like cricket - at least baseball doesn't take 5 days....

Speaking of watching a ball get hit - I find tennis boring as well - I mean how many times can you hit a ball over a net before it's just same old same old....that's just personal entertainment values btw - I don't count tennis or cricket for that matter as ridiculous sports....just boring

wu_trax 6 Jun 2005 17:23

i guess if you think about it most sports are stupid. you always do things that are more or less useless.

Stew 6 Jun 2005 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chika
To me, baseball, is the most ridiculous sport. I walked out on every baseball game I have ever been to.

One has to ask why you keep going back?

vampire_lestat 6 Jun 2005 20:24

extreme dodgeball is pretty dumb, but it is worth a few mins laughing.

Ärketrollmannen 6 Jun 2005 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
extreme dodgeball is pretty dumb, but it is worth a few mins laughing.

You throw rocks at eachother?