Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Research Labs (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=199432)

Light 19 Jun 2011 19:30

Research Labs

Just wondering why there is a cap on research labs? which makes them unnecessarily complicated for new players.

Wouldnt a better solution be that they give you X amount of research points, allowing more strategy in constructions? i.e. Each research lab gives you 10 res points per tick.

It would allow people to spam them, only build afew of them, or build them mixed in with mines/FC's.

Mzyxptlk 19 Jun 2011 19:55

Re: Research Labs

Why is that a "better solution"?

Killeah 19 Jun 2011 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3207945)
which makes them unnecessarily complicated for new players.

I guess he´s referring to this statement, as the reason to change it. Not that I find it that complicated

Light 19 Jun 2011 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3207946)
Why is that a "better solution"?

1. each Res lab gives you 10 extra research points per tick is alot less complicated to explain than the current system.
2. The current system has no real room for strategy, you build a res lab every 5 constructions until you reach 7-14 then you simply stop building them. With giving them a set amount of research points per tick with no cap, you bring strategy into the mix and allow the user to actually plan a construction strategy trying to balance research with income.
An example of this, is someone going democracy may decide to skip research labs altogether and concentrate on income to gain an advantage, while someone who has gone corp would be concentrating on res labs.

Sometimes, simplifying things is actually the best thing to do in terms of game play and strategy.

Reincarnate 19 Jun 2011 22:34

from what i can tell, your way of "simplifying" things requires more planning and strategy. please explain how this is simplifying things.

Mzyxptlk 19 Jun 2011 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3207948)
1. each Res lab gives you 10 extra research points per tick is alot less complicated to explain than the current system.

Fair enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3207948)
2. The current system has no real room for strategy, you build a res lab every 5 constructions until you reach 7-14 then you simply stop building them. With giving them a set amount of research points per tick with no cap, you bring strategy into the mix and allow the user to actually plan a construction strategy trying to balance research with income.

You primarily want quick research in the early in the round, so you build reslabs early on. Whether you get 10 RP per reslab or +X% based on the ratio of reslabs : constructions doesn't make a difference in the large scheme of things.

I don't have a particular problem with this suggestion, I don't see how it makes the game worse, but I also don't see how it makes the game more strategic either.

Light 20 Jun 2011 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3207949)
from what i can tell, your way of "simplifying" things requires more planning and strategy. please explain how this is simplifying things.

its simple to understand but still requires thought to get the most out of it; Which is what most mechanics should be :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3207950)
You primarily want quick research in the early in the round, so you build reslabs early on. Whether you get 10 RP per reslab or +X% based on the ratio of reslabs : constructions doesn't make a difference in the large scheme of things.

Constructions currently do not make a difference in the large scheme of things; so while you could argue that it doesnt make that much difference.. I'd see that as a good thing as you're taking something needlessly complicated out of the game and replacing it with something as effective but easier to understand.

If you wanted to make constructions make an actual major difference, you'd nerf the race and government bonuses to ensure that players get the vast majority of there research points and income bonus from constructions (and implement a building to improve construction points).

Then you'd have major strategy in constructions, while keeping the system simple to understand and hard to majorly screw up (as as new players tend to build abit of everything rather than spam one thing unless instructed to).

Quote:

I don't have a particular problem with this suggestion, I don't see how it makes the game worse, but I also don't see how it makes the game more strategic either.
It was mainly to get rid of a needlessly complicated formula, making it slightly more strategic would only be an additional bonus.

Influence 20 Jun 2011 04:13

The thought behind research is that you want it early on in the game. Reslabs currently give you 17-25 research points (depending on your race). The nature of constructions however is that it takes time to build them. As the round progresses research becomes less and less important. The current setup reflects this, as you only need 20% reslabs in the first 100-200 ticks and no extra ones later on.

For experienced players this means there is little change, but instead of building 8 to 14 reslabs early round, 3 or 4 would in most cases suffice.

If anything this would cancel out the research bonusses of governments, as 'construction focussed governments' can easily get away with building a few more reslabs in their startup, giving them the same research advantage as 'research focussed governments', and the construction bonus on top of that. This means re-working the way research labs work isn't something that can be done by itself, but would require attention to the whole bonus structure currently in place.

And i feel changing this will not help new players as new players don't know what the impact of researches is, so will either build way to many research labs, or way too few.

Kargool 20 Jun 2011 08:44

I suggested this ages ago, and got yelled at for trying to help new players!

Killeah 20 Jun 2011 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 3207951)
It was mainly to get rid of a needlessly complicated formula, making it slightly more strategic would only be an additional bonus.

well I for one, enjoy the bits of math that is left in this game. I'm certain that by simplifying the game mechanics, we'll see a more steril and boring game. The fact that it takes a minimal of mathematical insight to perfect your govenance of your planet, gives this game some other merit and reason than just being active and online at stupid late hours.

Cov op formulaes, production formulaes, all helps to give the game another dimension, you actually need to plan things through and execute it right, iot maximize your effort