Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Hardware and Tech Support (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   PS3 + Monitor + TV + Speakers + Sky (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=195101)

Androme 8 Aug 2007 00:21

PS3 + Monitor + TV + Speakers + Sky

Ok. I have searched on Google so I know there are several solutions to my following problem but I am STILL confused so would like some help please if possible.

I have just bought a BenQ FP241W monitor which supports all my Hi-Def needs including 1080p (although it doesn't have the 1:1 firmware which I am waiting to hear back from BenQ about which means there are problems with 1080p atm.).

Anyway, I have just connected my PS3 to it via the HDMI cable (I don't need a HDMI-DVI converter luckily as the monitor has a HDMI port). My monitor is also connected to my PC via the DVI cable. The problem is sound isn't getting outputted since my monitor is not connected to my sound system. My Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers are connected to my Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty card.

The reason I am not playing my PS3 on my TV is because my TV is shit but is good enough for me to watch Sky on!

How do I...
- connect my PS3 to my speakers?
- connect my speakers to my TV as well? (so I have my monitor, PS3 and my TV all connected to it)

If this is confusing then these two pictures should clear things up. The changes can be seen in blue. Forget the speaker to PC cable being red can't be bothered to change it to black.

----- Current Setup

----- How I want it to be

Thanks for any help.

Cocteau 8 Aug 2007 02:18

Re: PS3 + Monitor + TV + Speakers + Sky

You might want to elaborate what ports available in your speaker/amp, i pressume as you mentioned it's connected to your PC. So does it mean, you still prefer (how you want it to be) doing it that way? If so, i can't think of a solution since PS3 have no available input to function as an amplifier. But the standard setup (solving your problem too) is to have your 5.1 speaker connected to an amplifier - it could be a dvd player or a standalone amplifier to channel thru different input. Then, simply connect a standard audio (AV) cable from PS3 to the amplifier, and video (HDMI or AV or Component or whatever) cable from amplifier to the monitor/TV, if you'll use it on other means since i reckon for PS3 you need PS3's video directly connected to your TV.

Androme 8 Aug 2007 02:43

Are you not familiar with the Logitech Z5500 sound system?

Specification

Also, I am not connecting my PS3 to my TV as I have stated since it can't handle hi-def. So that's out of the question.

sale 8 Aug 2007 09:27

i think that is what you want:
http://www.dcskabel.de/hdmi-umschalt...2-6.html?ref=1

but it is a expensive :/

as far as i know you cant simply split a hdmi signal, thats why you need a so called switch. but i can be misstaken...

Androme 8 Aug 2007 12:35

Thanks for the help but I've sorted out one of the problems - I can just connect an optical cable from the back of the PS3 straight into my speakers which will transmit the sound from the PS3 to the speakers!

The only problem that remains is connecting my speakers to my TV because the only other input I can connect to my speakers now is coaxial as my optical input is going to be connected to my PS3. Anybody have any idea how I can connect my coaxial to my TV?

The other problem - connecting Sky to my TV...? People have said I need an a TV-Tuner card... not an option!

If not, how would I at least connect my TV to my monitor and then deal with the sound problem? Would I connect my monitor to my TV and then connect my TV sound to my sound-card or something? Bearing in mind I have the X-Fi Fatal1ty so have that plate on the outside to make another optical connection if I wanted however, does this mean the sound would still get outputted to the speakers? How would the sound from the TV interfere with the sound from the computer for example?

djbass 9 Aug 2007 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androme2
Thanks for the help but I've sorted out one of the problems - I can just connect an optical cable from the back of the PS3 straight into my speakers which will transmit the sound from the PS3 to the speakers!

The only problem that remains is connecting my speakers to my TV because the only other input I can connect to my speakers now is coaxial as my optical input is going to be connected to my PS3. Anybody have any idea how I can connect my coaxial to my TV?

The other problem - connecting Sky to my TV...? People have said I need an a TV-Tuner card... not an option!

If not, how would I at least connect my TV to my monitor and then deal with the sound problem? Would I connect my monitor to my TV and then connect my TV sound to my sound-card or something? Bearing in mind I have the X-Fi Fatal1ty so have that plate on the outside to make another optical connection if I wanted however, does this mean the sound would still get outputted to the speakers? How would the sound from the TV interfere with the sound from the computer for example?

I think you are severly confused.. or at least I am from reading your post.

From looking at the specs you linked to for your speakers.. they should also have a stereo input free (assuming it is not shared by the Digital 5.1 inputs). You then could connect your TV to there via a converter.

The coaxial input is for a digital signal only, so unless your TV has a digital coaxial output then you wont be able to use it. You can get converters that will take other inputs and make them a digital coaxial output but they need to be powered and are kinda hard to find except at specialty stores, generally it would be a clunky solution and not worth the effort.

The next part is the most confusing, is your sky box not already connected to your TV? (as the diagram seems to indicate).

What point would there be in connecting your TV to your monitor?

Finally yes you could use the optical input on your soundcards drive bay panel for your TV (once again assuming the TV has an optical output), the sound would be mixed with your computer sounds, unless you specifically muted one or the other.

Androme 9 Aug 2007 16:28

thanks djbass

i have to spread some reputation before i spread it around though :(

Androme 12 Aug 2007 05:14

another query

my benq monitor has an overscan issue where the image is still too large and gets cropped with the hdmi cable so i've been told to get hdmi->dvi cable which i now have -but- the dvi port of my monitor is taken up by the dvi cable cable going to my gfx card - so is there a way I can connect two dvi-cables so to speak to my monitor and switch between them with ease?

djbass 12 Aug 2007 12:16

I would be surprised if the converter in your Benq was not able to be adjusted in come way to fix the overscan, as generally their converters are good quality (I know I own a Benq myself).

However, all you need is a switch box for the DVI like this one for example.

Androme 12 Aug 2007 17:09

cheers djbass but that one cannot support my 1920 x 1200 resolution and doesn't support 1080p at this size

i have heard of GAMESWITCH PS3-S201 which apparently does BUT I cannot find it anywhere in the UK to buy so I'm at a dead-end :(

there's a conspiracy that benq are covering up the overscan issue - they have a march 2007 firmware which fixes 1:1 aspect ratio problems BUT the overscan issue is not fixed - apparently a may firmware exists for the fp241wz version exists but my monitor is the 241w flavour and so has the march 2007 firmware - it's a shame they haven't fixed it yet, are still denying it AND that we cannot update the firmware ourselves @ home