Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   learning japanese (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=191851)

wu_trax 5 Aug 2006 11:13

learning japanese

did anyone of you ever try that?
I dont know, looks like a hell of a lot of vocabulary to learn, for no good reason, but it also sounds kind of fun.

s|k 5 Aug 2006 12:26

Re: learning japanese

Cooling speaks some Japanese, my wife speaks Japanese fluently, it's her language. It is not anything you learn for 'fun.' Most foreigners who have been speaking Japanese for years cannot read a Japanese newspaper. I plan on learning enough to speak with my wife's family, who don't really speak English. Also, many Japanese don't really like foreigners who speak Japanese well.

Deffeh 5 Aug 2006 13:22

how much did your wife cost?

hyfe 5 Aug 2006 13:33

They don't sell Japanese silly!

That's Indonesians.

wu_trax 5 Aug 2006 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k
Cooling speaks some Japanese, my wife speaks Japanese fluently, it's her language. It is not anything you learn for 'fun.' Most foreigners who have been speaking Japanese for years cannot read a Japanese newspaper. I plan on learning enough to speak with my wife's family, who don't really speak English. Also, many Japanese don't really like foreigners who speak Japanese well.

it kind of sounds nice, that's what i was trying to say.
I probably wont get much further than 'excuse me, do you speak English?' though before loosing my motivation again

All Systems Go 5 Aug 2006 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k

Is it really like that scene in Lost in translation where he is at a photo shoot. the cameraman speaks in Japanese for two minutes about what he expects Bill Murray's character to do and the translater goes over to Murray and says 'smile and turn to camera'.

?

s|k 5 Aug 2006 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Is it really like that scene in Lost in translation where he is at a photo shoot. the cameraman speaks in Japanese for two minutes about what he expects Bill Murray's character to do and the translater goes over to Murray and says 'smile and turn to camera'.

?

That scene was a humorous poke at artistic verbosity and at the same time a fun and subtle stab at the film's title and subject matter. My wife blushed and didn't want to tell me what the guy had said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deffeh
how much did your wife cost?

Considering that she works and makes really good money and I don't work, it's been rather profitable. I am a catch, don't you know. :D

Entium 5 Aug 2006 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k
Considering that she works and makes really good money

So you don't care that she's away the whole night?

s|k 5 Aug 2006 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entium
So you don't care that she's away the whole night?

Of course I do, I would like her to take day shifts, but it's easier and pays more to work nights at hospital for nurses.

furball 5 Aug 2006 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by s|k
That scene was a humorous poke at artistic verbosity and at the same time a fun and subtle stab at the film's title and subject matter. My wife blushed and didn't want to tell me what the guy had said.

Well go find out NOW. Google isn't being my friend and telling me.

Demon Dave 6 Aug 2006 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by wu_trax
did anyone of you ever try that?
I dont know, looks like a hell of a lot of vocabulary to learn, for no good reason, but it also sounds kind of fun.

I did a year of Japanese at college a while ago and did fairly well, but like GCSE French, I can remember very little of it without referring to my notes