Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Warehouses (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194687)

Tearz 12 Jun 2007 12:53

Warehouses

A common strategy is to stockpile a great deal of resources in order to build out of incomings on your planet. (I use it myself a lot)

Whilst it is a valid tactic, it does tend to lead towards stagnation a little, with no penalty.

What I'd like to suggest is that your planet as standard would be able to hold, say, 10m of each resource (figure plucked out of thin air) We would then have a new construction type called warehouse, which when built would allow additional resource to be stored on the planet.

I think this could add slightly new dynamics with resource hoarders perhaps taking a little bit of a hit on income (reduced FCs) in order to keep up with their stock.

JonnyBGood 12 Jun 2007 13:16

Re: Warehouses

Like :up:

HRH_H_Crab 12 Jun 2007 13:33

Yes me too. And lets make it so that if you SK them, all the contents are destroyed!
Landing on someones stockpile and blowing it up would be more fun than a barrel of monkeys with dynamite strapped to their backs.

furball 12 Jun 2007 13:40

I'm not convinced about this.

Kargool 12 Jun 2007 13:44

This might however lead to a lot of very high valued planets being unable to attack anybody because of their high value. Needs to be implemented carefully

Tearz 12 Jun 2007 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kargool
This might however lead to a lot of very high valued planets being unable to attack anybody because of their high value. Needs to be implemented carefully

If all the top planets were spending they would all increase in value.

Tietäjä 12 Jun 2007 13:51

The silo project has been suggested I think multiple times before, but for some reason it has never struck through. It should be implemented, though, as it sounds like a very good addition to the structures and would force some choice between the mine mine mine stock stock stock and mine mine ware ware stock stock -to be.

Quote:

Really? I was massive round 13 and I did have a dozen or so targets, taking into account that I had a NAP with eXilition. If you're really massive, you will still have targets - this will just require your alliance to shrug off the NAPs and give you a priority to pick on the few targets you've got. Yeah, it takes nudging.

Also, the "unable to attack anyone" comes in controversy with the talk about lowbie bashing and bash limits. I mean, if there's too much lowbie bashing, and you'd feel higher bash limits would help, wouldn't this on the other hand escalate this issue?

Quote:

However lowbie bashing will always happen in one way or another, make it harder to hit below a certain value compared to your own will probably help some.

You are sort of contradicting yourself here.

Maybe a nonlinear bash limit could "help", but what sort of is a whole other story.

Bubert Samson 12 Jun 2007 14:01

Sounds good to me

Appocomaster 12 Jun 2007 14:21

A side effect of the changes made for this round actually forces this decision to some extent already.
You have to choose whether to stockpile and invest in factories to keep your production times down, or whether to order and keep your resource hordes low (and therefore production times low) and instead go for distorters, FCs or whatever.

Rinoa 12 Jun 2007 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
A side effect of the changes made for this round actually forces this decision to some extent already.
You have to choose whether to stockpile and invest in factories to keep your production times down, or whether to order and keep your resource hordes low (and therefore production times low) and instead go for distorters, FCs or whatever.

So youre effectively removing the bonus active players get from being able to build high constructions and maintain a stockpile and low prod times, and your levelling the playing field so less active players have less of a disadvantage?

:down:

Appocomaster 12 Jun 2007 14:59

er, what?

HRH_H_Crab 12 Jun 2007 15:01

Quote:

So youre effectively removing the bonus active players get from being able to build high constructions and maintain a stockpile and low prod times, and your levelling the playing field so less active players have less of a disadvantage?
Sounds ace to me. Games where unemployed wasters and lazy students have a distinct advantage aren't going to be fun for lots of people in the long term, and while this advantage in PA will always exist, why not nerf it a bit more?

Rinoa 12 Jun 2007 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
er, what?

From your previous post it looks like you are saying that it is now not possible to have a stockpile and low production times without sacrificing the ability to have high finance centres amps etc.

Whats the point of putting in the hours of activity required to build mass finances centres ( like i did from tickstart last round) if u now do not have the ability to have a stockpile and Low prod times?

robban1 12 Jun 2007 16:01

well i think i have suggested a diffrent approatch on the issue ealier, as it is now you only need 1 factory for each shipclass and can build as much as you want with it, how about you need 1 factory for building f.ex 1-3m res per tick.

means you have to build a bunch of them to have any use of stockpiling and have the abillity of selfcover if needed

Tietäjä 12 Jun 2007 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by robban1
well i think i have suggested a diffrent approatch on the issue ealier, as it is now you only need 1 factory for each shipclass and can build as much as you want with it, how about you need 1 factory for building f.ex 1-3m res per tick.

I reckon this has been implemented now.

Appocomaster 12 Jun 2007 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by robban1

means you have to build a bunch of them to have any use of stockpiling and have the abillity of selfcover if needed

That's basically sort of what we've done. Only there's more maths involved.

robban1 12 Jun 2007 16:21

the stockpileing crap is that makes the game stagnated and shitty so any change there is a good one, oh and no more cheating dorks can fiddle with the fund either :)

JonnyBGood 12 Jun 2007 18:41

Stockpiling, as much as dist-whoring, is an actual ingame tactic and giving choices to people over what they want to focus on is cool. That said I'd probably decrease construction times and take off the limit on constructions while doing this.

Kal 12 Jun 2007 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Stockpiling, as much as dist-whoring, is an actual ingame tactic and giving choices to people over what they want to focus on is cool. That said I'd probably decrease construction times and take off the limit on constructions while doing this.

What I'd be tempted to do, rather than removing the construction limit is introduce the idea of construciton upgrades.

Lets say you have a "basic" warehouse, but you have researched technology that lets you build "advanced" warehouses. why not let people upgrade their current warehouses.

The same goes for all the other constructions.

What I'd also introduce is the ability to remove constructions, and replace the construciton limit with a concepy of space - different construcitons would take up different amoutns of space e.g. heavy factory might be bigger than a light factory.

Heartless 12 Jun 2007 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal
What I'd be tempted to do, rather than removing the construction limit is introduce the idea of construciton upgrades.

Lets say you have a "basic" warehouse, but you have researched technology that lets you build "advanced" warehouses. why not let people upgrade their current warehouses.

The same goes for all the other constructions.

What I'd also introduce is the ability to remove constructions, and replace the construciton limit with a concepy of space - different construcitons would take up different amoutns of space e.g. heavy factory might be bigger than a light factory.

All nice and good, but please fix the score system first.

robban1 12 Jun 2007 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood

well then every little noob have a stash it kinda have lost the tactical adventage and are a bad future to the game

Shyne 15 Jun 2007 00:08

I've always liked the idea that lower down players would have some ratiod advantage over larger players so that the universe can restore balance in cycle.

NitinA 15 Jun 2007 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shyne
I've always liked the idea that lower down players would have some ratiod advantage over larger players so that the universe can restore balance in cycle.

So you want players who put less effort to get larger advantages to compenstate for the fact that they don't put as much effort into the game?

Wait... doesn't that kinda defeat the point of rankings in the first place?

wakey 16 Jun 2007 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitinA
So you want players who put less effort to get larger advantages to compenstate for the fact that they don't put as much effort into the game?

Wait... doesn't that kinda defeat the point of rankings in the first place?

A 'learning curve' does nothing of the sort. Most single player games have such a system where its easier at the start to do well, but gets tougher as you go along and even most of the mmrpgs have such systems, PA however doesnt, infact often its easier the higher you get. You can be a new player at the bottom of the game or a top ranked old player and the game isnt much different from a toughness pov and as such it could probably very well support 'ratio' advantages and such like for lower to make it easier at the lower end and more challenging at the top end

Judge 16 Jun 2007 21:51

This would certainly be a better idea than the current set up for R22.

Illuvatar 16 Jun 2007 23:38

I support this idea, that would be a decent change for punishing stockpiling as tactic;)

Mzyxptlk 17 Jun 2007 00:35

Can someone please explain to me why this stockpiling tactic needs punishing?

gzambo 17 Jun 2007 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Can someone please explain to me why this stockpiling tactic needs punishing?

it's a pa-team thing
they make sure any decent tactic is removed
its supposed to make game play better apparently