Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CD to MP3 (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189277)

All Systems Go 14 Jan 2006 17:38

CD to MP3

I had a nice little MP3 player for christmas but if I want to put CDs on there I will have to rip them from CD to .WAV and then convert them to MP3.

Does anyone know of a good little program that can just rip MP3s straight away?

thanks.

Dante Hicks 14 Jan 2006 17:40

Re: CD to MP3

CDEX does it all.

midge5 14 Jan 2006 17:41

It's not brilliant but iTunes works fine for me.

MrL_JaKiri 14 Jan 2006 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
CDEX does it all.

This is the right choice.

Stew 14 Jan 2006 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
CDEX does it all.

G.K Zhukov 14 Jan 2006 18:38

Didnt the mp3 player come with any kind of software to do just that?

MrL_JaKiri 14 Jan 2006 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Didnt the mp3 player come with any kind of software to do just that?

Generally, they don't.

G.K Zhukov 14 Jan 2006 18:50

It did with mine (Creative Zen Sleek) and it works perfectly. It also contacts a site on internett that fills in the names of songs and so on, so I dont have to type it. It even recognized a cd given out by a friend of mine that I ripped.

Nondescript Human 14 Jan 2006 22:12

I just use Windows Media Player to rip CDs into mp3s, it works fine.

roadrunner_0 14 Jan 2006 22:16

if you use WMP it puts DRM on them, meaning that you then HAVE to use WMP to put the stuff on your mp3 player... which is irritating at best.

CDEX is indeed the correct answer

Dante Hicks 14 Jan 2006 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
It did with mine (Creative Zen Sleek) and it works perfectly. It also contacts a site on internett that fills in the names of songs and so on, so I dont have to type it. It even recognized a cd given out by a friend of mine that I ripped.

They all do that (and have done for some years).

I've not checked the latest iteration of the Creative software, but their efforts have been poor in the past. And I say this as someone who has owned at least five Creative MP3 players. They just can't resist being gay with their software/interface design.

G.K Zhukov 14 Jan 2006 22:30

Not all ripping programs do that, Dante.
Besdies that, the quality of the naming varies. Alot of them does not provide a match for alot of norwegion cd's for instance.

The software is quite fine, and even my mother should be able to use it.

roadrunner_0 14 Jan 2006 22:31

they should all contact cddb www.cddb.com or www.gracenote.com and really should therefore fill in the same cd info no matter which ripping program you are using

Dante Hicks 14 Jan 2006 22:35

What roadrunner said.

Phang 14 Jan 2006 23:04

ive never had DRM issues with WMP.

but mostly, i download stuff ripped by someone else, and upload in FLAC. its months since i ripped anything for solely personal use.

SYMM 15 Jan 2006 01:17

I use Goobox for ripping, and Gnomad for transfer to my Zen Micro.
On windows, Mediamonkey does me just fine.

Blastoderm 15 Jan 2006 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phang
ive never had DRM issues with WMP.

RR, explain what do you mean? Because I've not encountered any problems yet.

G.K Zhukov 15 Jan 2006 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
they should all contact cddb www.cddb.com or www.gracenote.com and really should therefore fill in the same cd info no matter which ripping program you are using

The rippers I used before connected to cddb, but this program uses gracenote. To me it seems like gracenote is somewhat better.

roadrunner_0 15 Jan 2006 02:25

i have a mp3 player that supports DRM (because its quite new you see) WMP10 also supports DRM, if you rip music using WMP10 and then try putting it onto a mobile device that supports DRM without using WMP's 'copy to device' function it won't work.

will have a look on google and see if i can find a better explanation as i don't quite get it myself, it just annoys me.

EDIT: i cant find anything 'easy' to link, however if you look for an explanation of DRM and WMP DRM im sure you can find somethign that will answer any questions you may have

roadrunner_0 15 Jan 2006 02:27

gracenote IS cddb, gracenote is just the parent company of cddb (lit: Compact Disc DataBase) and does quite a lot with its patents by all accounts, but every ripping program i have ever come across used cddb, simply because it is meant to be definitive (although its not, i have a CD thats not on there, but its not on there for a perfectly valid reason)

pablissimo 15 Jan 2006 11:47

You can turn off protecting mp3's created by WMP (though I dunno if that works if you encode to .wma or not, never had the inclination), I did a bunch of cd's back home. Encodes aren't bad, but there's no error correction so if the CD's dirty or anything you end up with trashed files.

I'm a fan of Exact Audio Copy though I've never used CDEX, will have to have a play.

SYMM 15 Jan 2006 12:35

Gracenote/CDDB are rather evil, and you should really use FreeDB instead. Some software gives you an option to change the server it used for lookups...

roadrunner_0 15 Jan 2006 13:56

why is cddb evil?

SYMM 15 Jan 2006 14:17

It started out as an open database, put together by volunteers and accessible by anyone (any software could connect to it to submit/fetch information), but then it became Gracenote, and is now only accessible by licensed software/people, which I think is rather unfair to the people who'd contributed to it, and effectvely made it.

Ste 15 Jan 2006 17:41

i've been ripping mp3's driectly onto my mp3 player using wmp without a problem at all.
I've also ripped them onto hard disk and then moved them across myself.
no problems whatsoever.

Why the hell would you want to rip it to a wav file? surely that makes it about a million times bigger?

roadrunner_0 16 Jan 2006 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYMM
It started out as an open database, put together by volunteers and accessible by anyone (any software could connect to it to submit/fetch information), but then it became Gracenote, and is now only accessible by licensed software/people, which I think is rather unfair to the people who'd contributed to it, and effectvely made it.

ah, fair enough then :) i didn't know that

wu_trax 16 Jan 2006 13:16

I dont rip cds that often (im more of a radio person, so I dont buy many CDs. I never saw the point in it anyway).
The last time I used cdparanoia and lame directly on the shell (i dont have a gui, or a computer monitor, on my linux computer). I did that because there was some kind of copy protection on the cd, which cdparanoia apparently completly ignored. Does this CDEX do that or do you people just live in coutries that have acceptable property laws?

MrL_JaKiri 16 Jan 2006 14:17

Most "copy protection" is guff. I've never seen CDex fail to rip something.

Cannon_Fodder 16 Jan 2006 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
i've been ripping mp3's driectly onto my mp3 player using wmp without a problem at all.
I've also ripped them onto hard disk and then moved them across myself.
no problems whatsoever.

Why the hell would you want to rip it to a wav file? surely that makes it about a million times bigger?

Seconded. Although I sometimes have trouble ripping some CD's, presumably because of a specific DRM or whatnot.

Dante Hicks 16 Jan 2006 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
Why the hell would you want to rip it to a wav file?

Well, there's rarely any point doing so now, but once upon a time we didn't have fancy all-in-one rip & encoders and so there wasn't much alternative. Encoding also used to take hours, rather than minutes. It's also a lot easier to manipulate wave files (or again, it used to be) than MP3s. So if you wanted to edit the sound file (say, split it into seperate files) you'd have to do it in the wav file.