Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Hardware and Tech Support (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Digi Cams (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=164908)

pablissimo 31 May 2003 14:37

Digi Cams

I'm a student. I'm therefore inherently poor, or pissed.

Both.

Either way, I'd very much like the services of a digital camera. It'll be almost entirely for web work, but I wouldn't mind making prints of 'at least reasonable quality' with it.

So, what cheap but 'decent' digi cams do you have/know people have/have tried/recommend?

Yours faithfully,
Pablissimo

wakey 31 May 2003 14:38

When you say cheap how cheap are we actually talking about?

pablissimo 31 May 2003 14:43

Sub-£100 ideally.

I'm prepared to go the refurbished/second hand route but I can't do that yet because I don't know any 'good' ones I could nab on EBay...

NEWSBOT3 2 Jun 2003 18:08

you can get 'useable' for sub 100 just about.

iwoot.com do a few , but the one i'd go for would be
this.

Sure, it isnt the best camera in the world, but seems to me a decent spec for the price.

The zoom is digital rather than optical, and its only really 3 megapixel, but it also has a flash, and an lcd screen.
3megapixel is more than enough for decent shots
(i have one thats 0.75 or so. the pics are useable, but not great. something 4 times greater should be verging on decent picture)

IWOOT.com isnt the cheapest place in the world, so if you were shopping around you could probably get it cheaper

BesigedB 2 Jun 2003 21:58

i have the canon powershot g2*

*[SIZE=1]not a budget camera[/SIZE]

edit: lameness for having size tag disabled

MT 3 Jun 2003 14:19

Pabbeh, I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-9 or smth, 4 Megapixels, ****ing great camera - the problem with cheap cameras is that they invariabley have only digital zoom (sounds good, really its crap) ie fixed lens.

You should up your budget to £250 or so, you should be able tog et a good camera for that.

pablissimo 3 Jun 2003 19:10

Quote:

Originally posted by MT
Pabbeh, I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-9 or smth, 4 Megapixels, ****ing great camera - the problem with cheap cameras is that they invariabley have only digital zoom (sounds good, really its crap) ie fixed lens.

You should up your budget to £250 or so, you should be able tog et a good camera for that.

I don't require zoom at all really, so it's a moot point, and although I'd love a cybershot (flatmate bought one a while back) they're both far, far too expensive for my budget and don't feel the most solid of items (I was always looking out for it hoping I didn't break it when I nicked it off him heh).

Thanks for the suggestions though, at least there are some cams out there, I'll report back if and when I get one

pablissimo 3 Jun 2003 19:55

At £129, this is on special offer at Ebuyer; I'm tempted =/