Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E-Mail (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=193840)

pig 19 Feb 2007 22:29

Now I mainly use hotmail, I also have a gmail account but that just seems to gets lots of spam. I was wondering if anyone has any better alternatives?

Or should I just signup a new gmail account?

SYMM 19 Feb 2007 22:36

Re: E-Mail

gmail seems to be really good at stopping spam, I get hardly any in my inbox...

pig 19 Feb 2007 23:02

Probably because I used it to signup for stupid shit, like basically every website ever.

But I want an email like gmail but well something where I can have say sgreen@ or sjgreen@ etc with quite a decent and respectable mail client like gmail etc

All Systems Go 19 Feb 2007 23:11

I sign up to nothing with gmail and get loads of spam, which 99.9% of goes to the spam folder. It's pretty good but my main account is Yahoo! as it always has been.

Knight Theamion 19 Feb 2007 23:26

I suggest you get a new gmail adress, invite yourself.

Boogster 19 Feb 2007 23:38

gmail is the best i've had.

Yahwe 20 Feb 2007 00:11

why are you blaming your letterbox for the quality of post people send you?

Phil^ 20 Feb 2007 00:16

use email addresses to sign up for things along the lines of [email protected] , and then set up a filter which moves all emails to that address to their own folder.
See http://21st.blogspot.com/2006/09/use...ed-e-mail.html
If you just need an email account to sign up for stuff temporarily then use www.mailinator.com

pig 20 Feb 2007 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
why are you blaming your letterbox for the quality of post people send you?

I'm not really, I just want an email that looks professional and stuff and does the job, mainly one which isn't used by many but is recognised and where I can get my name eg sjgreen@

I was going to get a @mac.com one but you have to pay for that, I might still do that though ;(

SilverSmoke 20 Feb 2007 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
I suggest you get a new gmail adress, invite yourself.

Exactly, I've got for example one account I do my main e-mailing with for friends, family and other semi serious situations and another one for registration purposes on all kinds of crappy websites when needed.

Tomkat 20 Feb 2007 12:16

I only have one and it's my hotmail account and it's served me very nicely for the last 10 or so years.

Nadar 20 Feb 2007 12:28

I use the email I got from my ISP as my main. Also got a gmail and a hotmail account.

Used to get like 20-30 spam mails on hotmail before, but after I clicked the mails and went to bottom, I could click a link saying "Remove me" or something. That apparantly removed me from many lists I got no idea how I was signed up to, so now I only have to deal with 2-3 spam mails per day.

Hebdomad 20 Feb 2007 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Well if you owned a URL you could have [email protected] and then point it towards your Gmail account.

[email protected] goes straight through to my Gmail account.

And get a new gmail account and don't use it to sign up to loads of shite.

Yeah, buying a domain with email capability is quite easy. You can even do via google. You can also use all google's tools as well if you do that.

Nodrog 20 Feb 2007 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I only have one and it's my hotmail account and it's served me very nicely for the last 10 or so years.

I'd probably look down on someone with a hotmail e-mail address personally, especially if I were hiring for a job that had anything to do with computers. You should be fine with gmail or yahoo though.

Tomkat 20 Feb 2007 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
I'd probably look down on someone with a hotmail e-mail address personally, especially if I were hiring for a job that had anything to do with computers. You should be fine with gmail or yahoo though.

I don't really want a job at the kind of place that judges someone on the second part of their e-mail address.

Deffeh 20 Feb 2007 15:43

i also dont know why youd look down on hotmail but not yahoo.

SilverSmoke 20 Feb 2007 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I don't really want a job at the kind of place that judges someone on the second part of their e-mail address.

Having a hotmail adres as your personal primary e-mail account screams bad taste and shows a lack of feeling for better products which isn't really an indicator for being a winner at life!

Dante Hicks 20 Feb 2007 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog

I'd sort of agree with this, although it would be quickly overcome if they had typed everything properly, avoided AOLisms and so on. For anything business related I prefer to use [email protected] or a personal domain. One of the annoying things about hotmail is that it (or used to) restricts you from using fullstops, which means having to put in things like joe_bloggs which doesn't look as neat. I'd tend to view Yahoo in a similar light to Hotmail though, and I guess Gmail will go the same way due to some subconscious elitism.

I'd be more hostile to Hotmail but I know at least one person who has kept his Hotmail account since way back when and he's a professional programmer.

SilverSmoke 20 Feb 2007 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by horn
did you ever reply to me asking for the link to that bodybuilding website with the little animations? because if you did, i missed it :(

http://exrx.net/

SilverSmoke 20 Feb 2007 17:04

It just depends which part of the body you are intending to train. I do the db rows with the elbow close to the torso pulling the weight up to my chest to emphazise my lats. Actually I never noticed the variant you are showing me. It looks like this one to me http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Delt...prightRow.html which I use frequently.

The second animation is a very much used front shoulder exercise.