Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   And now for something entirely different (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=198690)

JonnyBGood 23 May 2010 18:45

And now for something entirely different

Considering we have far too many threads dedicated to whining and bitching about shit pateam either do or won't do I thought I'd start a thread for the purpose of praising them for a recent addition that I find rather interesting.

From the latest announcement on the portal

Quote:

-Added new 'Feed' list - highlights huge battles and interesting rank changes during the round, accessible through the universe page
<Will> [10:32:48] 7+ fleets on each side (including base fleet)
<Will> [10:32:48] 7+ defending fleets, and <15% of the attacking fleet died
<Will> [10:32:48] 6+ attacking fleets and >90% of the fleets died or was stolen
<Will> [10:32:48] 4+ attacking fleets and 10+ fleets total and 70%+ of the ships on both sides died

Big ass battles, cool fakes, suicidal landings and mutual destruction affairs respectively.

Cue applause.

[DDK]gm 23 May 2010 18:50

Re: And now for something entirely different

will be interesting but the poor noob that looses his fleet will be flagged by pa in the news feed as a farm since his coords are up there for everyone to see

Linkie 23 May 2010 18:51

Everyone could already see that on sandman's anyway. This just makes thing more accessible for everyone.

HeimdallR 23 May 2010 18:52

Well there, another reason not to crash :D

Liking the change to, will be helpfull for players that are not familiar with the game yet.

JonnyBGood 23 May 2010 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DDK]gm (Post 3193288)
will be interesting but the poor noob that looses his fleet will be flagged by pa in the news feed as a farm since his coords are up there for everyone to see

No, he won't. Read the actual details.

[DDK]gm 23 May 2010 20:30

What details?

JonnyBGood 23 May 2010 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DDK]gm (Post 3193300)
What details?

<Will> [10:32:48] 7+ fleets on each side (including base fleet)
<Will> [10:32:48] 7+ defending fleets, and <15% of the attacking fleet died
<Will> [10:32:48] 6+ attacking fleets and >90% of the fleets died or was stolen
<Will> [10:32:48] 4+ attacking fleets and 10+ fleets total and 70%+ of the ships on both sides died

I thought you meant noobs who got bashed by someone for roids, which wouldn't appear on the news feed. If not my bad. If you just meant you see people who lose their fleet then yeah that information is up on sandmans already.

ellonweb 23 May 2010 20:37

It's a nice addition, but the 5 tick delay is a bit lame. All the epic breps usually get passed around pretty quickly!

Membrivio 23 May 2010 20:59

Yes, ellonweb. If you are part of the PA grapevine. For people not in there it is more than a nice addition.

JonnyBGood 23 May 2010 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Membrivio (Post 3193303)
Yes, ellonweb. If you are part of the PA grapevine. For people not in there it is more than a nice addition.

Yeah, for new players it's a pretty cool addition.

ellonweb 23 May 2010 21:13

I'm not disputing that, in fact I totally agree, this is a nice addition. But given that most of these big battles are not going to involve new players and are mainly going to be people on the "grapevine", why make the new players wait 5 ticks?

JonnyBGood 23 May 2010 21:17

Yeah, I'd probably cut the waiting time out altogether but it's better than nothing y'know!

Membrivio 23 May 2010 21:21

The only argument I can think of is this one:

Rumours in the grapevine still take time to be spread. If this information is disclosed in the same tick this may provoke mass vulturing (I am not sure whether this is correct English, but I had some beers in the sun today :P ) on this planet which isn't a wanted consequence of this addition.

I think 4 ticks will do, though :)

Kaiba 23 May 2010 21:46

its a brilliant addition - gets the new players and those not in the big allys involved in whats going on out there in the big wide universe

Get to see some spectacular battles too hopefully

Knight Theamion 23 May 2010 22:15

should alliance nicks be included in the battle? or alliances?

ie. if 50% of the defending fleet (value) is Ascnendancy and 50% of the attacker fleet (value) is Conspiracy Theory the feed should say something like 'In an epic battle between Ascendancy and Conspiray fleets, Conspiracy lost more then 90% of their attackers ships'
or something equally or more heroic

Membrivio 23 May 2010 22:22

That would be cool, Theam! I would like that. Gives an extra edge to the breps!

Mzyxptlk 23 May 2010 22:24

Sounds interesting. And yes, I would drop the delay to 4 ticks or lower, in line with newsies, which also have a delay of 4 ticks.

gzambo 24 May 2010 14:28

Nice addition but since any value loss a planet suffers shows up on sandmans straight away delaying it seems pretty pointless