Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Watches (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=191120)

midge5 31 May 2006 21:55

Watches

It's my 21st in 2 months and my mother has always said she wants me to have a really good watch for my birthday. Wants me to get something which will last me for a long time and as I couldn't come up with somethingi really wanted which really fitted her requirements I'm stuck with this. Thing is though, I know sweet **** all about watches. We went looking the other day and all of the Omega watches we saw were absoloutely horrible.

Cardiff doesn't really have the best selection of watches so I don't really get my variety in what to look at. As I vaguely remember some discussions on something similar to this before I was hoping someone could recommend some good brands or so for me.

For an idea of what I am looking for, there was only really one which I saw that looked quite nice to me and it was similar to http://www.lacotedesmontres.com/IMG/6835.jpg
I quite like the blue background though the ones with Roman numerals looked better I thought. At nearly 2 and a half grand it was slightly out of our price range though :P

lokken 31 May 2006 21:59

Re: Watches

use a sundial.

Yahwe 31 May 2006 22:01

ask for something that will really last.

might i suggest a painting/lithograph?

JC 31 May 2006 22:12

I've got a fossil watch, they sell them at H. Samuel. I think mine was about £60 and is similar to this. I'm not watch expert but i've had 2 Fossil watches and i've liked them both.

JammyJim 31 May 2006 22:15

Rolex
Omega
Tag heur
----------- £1000+
Armani and others like it
----------- £200+
Fossil et al
----------- £50+
Casio £5 job from Argos catalogue

A day shopping with your family....priceless

There are some things money cant buy.
For everything else theres Mastercard.

Zar 31 May 2006 22:35

Don't get a Rolex or Tag Heur. They generally make ugly watches.

Designer brands with a similar price tag who make nice watches (there are a lot more but these are all I can think of atm):

Gucci
Cartier
Baume et Mercier
Breitling (even though I don't like their watches - people seem to like them)

or more expensive:

Audemarspiguet
Piaget
Patek-Philippe

Also get a rectangle/square watch. They're much classier and nicer than round-faced watches imo.

Alki 31 May 2006 22:36

tell the time

Yahwe 31 May 2006 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zar
Also get a rectangle/square watch. They're much classier and nicer than round-faced watches imo.

I shan't dispute your watch knowledge.

but for at least a century it has been 'round face for chaps, ractangle for ladies'

Zar 31 May 2006 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
I shan't dispute your watch knowledge.

but for at least a century it has been 'round face for chaps, ractangle for ladies'

It's all coming out isn't it :(

..but you have to admit something like this is nice ..and.. and they say its for men!

http://www.movado.com/selector/resul...er=1&thisImg=8

I wish i could afford it (and if I could not feel guilty at the same for wasting so much money on a label) :(

Dace 31 May 2006 22:47

I'm not sure if this is in your price range but it's what i intend on buying myself before im 30

P.S. Rectangle watches are cool Yahwe and not just for wimmins.

Yahwe 31 May 2006 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zar
http://www.movado.com/selector/resul...er=1&thisImg=8

I wish i could afford it (and if I could not feel guilty at the same for wasting so much money on a label) :(

"Men's Eliro, stainless steel case and bracelet, black dial with a single cabochon marker, Swiss quartz"

It oughtn't to cost very much at all from the materials or craftsmanship involved.

perhaps you could ask them to rub the 'name' off and buy it at a reasonable price

Yahwe 31 May 2006 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
I'm not sure if this is in your price range but it's what i intend on buying myself before im 30

P.S. Rectangle watches are cool Yahwe and not just for wimmins.

It would be cheaper to have a watch made bespoke ...

(i seriously do not understand why these watches are so expensive)

P.S. I didn't invent history. round = men, rectangle = women.

Zar 31 May 2006 22:53

Quote:

"Men's Eliro, stainless steel case and bracelet, black dial with a single cabochon marker, Swiss quartz"

It oughtn't to cost very much at all from the materials or craftsmanship involved.

perhaps you could ask them to rub the 'name' off and buy it at a reasonable price

Hence the guilty part.

In reality even if i could afford it (it's not hugely expensive ~£1000 when i first saw it about 5 years ago) i wouldn't buy it. You're paying for a name like you point out. There isn't anything else expensive about this watch that justifies its tag.

Dace 31 May 2006 22:56

Quote:

It would be cheaper to have a watch made bespoke ...

(i seriously do not understand why these watches are so expensive)

P.S. I didn't invent history. round = men, rectangle = women.

But if it was made bespoke nobody would know how much it cost *DUH*

Anyways i still don't like round faces on watches (i have narrow wrists so im gonna blame it on that ie i think they look stupid on my wrists).

Yahwe 31 May 2006 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
i have narrow wrists

;)

Cannon_Fodder 1 Jun 2006 00:08

I've got a timex :cool:

Blastoderm 1 Jun 2006 00:30

I once bought a Rada.

Note, not a Rado.

Demon Dave 1 Jun 2006 01:07

Casio ftw!

lokken 1 Jun 2006 01:21

£5 casio watches.

Guaranteed to tell the time and be indestructible.

Proud owner.

Demon Dave 1 Jun 2006 01:29

my casio was about £30, and i love it. Digital > Analogue

lokken 1 Jun 2006 01:32

The cheaper the casio, the better is

science fact.

pig 1 Jun 2006 04:26

I have a few issues with watches.

Firstly I dont wear a watch and doubt I ever will. However I believe that you can tell a lot about someone from a watch mainly women as they wear watches. If a woman doesnt have a watch its a good sign. If a woman has a decent watch then she has some class, if a woman has a shit watch then well...

The thing is people forget a watch is like your haircut. People see it everyday and you rarely change it. It has to look good. If you get a watch it shouldnt like too old or too young for you. Youre only 21 and by the time your 30 im sure your wife will be shopping for you not your mum (no offence) If I was to buy a watch that can look potentially good for the next 10 years I would probably get a Breitling as I believe they look very nice. I completly agree with yahwe on round for me and rectangular for women, women should definatly stick to that rule...men can deviate but round face will remain better looking for men.

pyirt 1 Jun 2006 07:54

For a "Real" mans watch http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/breitling.htm. There`s a shop in town here that sells a really posh Breitling for £4800.

PS: If I ever owned a watch like that I don`t think I`d feel safe wearing it in public.

Ste 1 Jun 2006 09:26

don't see the point in spending a lot on a watch.

mine's a casio.

analogue and digital :cool:

Dante Hicks 1 Jun 2006 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
The thing is people forget a watch is like your haircut. People see it everyday and you rarely change it. It has to look good.

It has to look good if you want to impress the sort of person who is impressed by "good" watches.

Blastoderm 1 Jun 2006 09:36

I once owned the thinnest Swatch ever.

It was ace.

Until I lost it. :(

Cannon_Fodder 1 Jun 2006 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
If a woman doesnt have a watch its a good sign.

'Meet you at ****** at half nine?'
'Sure'

Hours later

'Where are you?'
'Oh is that the time!'

Anyway, why?

Ste 1 Jun 2006 10:21

exactly.

I hate a woman who has no idea about time.

JonnyBGood 1 Jun 2006 10:41

I use my phone to tell the time (like some on here I think). I own a watch but I leave it at home. Some sort of pocket watch would be outrageously stylish and worth spending money on though.

Appocomaster 1 Jun 2006 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
exactly.

I hate a woman who has no idea about time.

"are you sure it wasn't two minutes?"
"yes, it was hours.. time flies when you're having fun! :D"

Appocomaster 1 Jun 2006 11:57

For the record, I got a Storm watch. No idea what this says about me... but it's round at least!
It's a bit like this one (though more expensive iirc). It's a bit heavy, but not bad. It can tell the time ok too, which is surely the point of a watch.

Alki 1 Jun 2006 12:15

Those Breitling Watches just look over complecated. I really really hate watches with so much shit on them, just makes them look tacky. Simple and stylish wins all the time

Marilyn Manson 1 Jun 2006 12:16

Buy a pocket watch.

Alki 1 Jun 2006 12:19

did you hear that explosion in billingham last night manson, around 11:30-12am. I was in bed thinking wtf was that, heard it about 20-30miles away

Marilyn Manson 1 Jun 2006 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alki
did you hear that explosion in billingham last night manson, around 11:30-12am. I was in bed thinking wtf was that, heard it about 20-30miles away

I was out walking around Fairfield and I didn't hear it.

When are you going to meet with me for a drink?

JonnyBGood 1 Jun 2006 12:31

In a new peak for the internet MM's avatar is now almost as disturbing as he is.

Marilyn Manson 1 Jun 2006 12:41

Shush.

Alki 1 Jun 2006 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I was out walking around Fairfield and I didn't hear it.

When are you going to meet with me for a drink?

hmm wierd, it droned on for quite a while!

When my fear of you anally fisting me passes:(

Marilyn Manson 1 Jun 2006 12:44

Quote:

hmm wierd, it droned on for quite a while!

My hearing is not particularly acute.

Quote:

When my fear of you anally fisting me passes:(

Poof!

hook 1 Jun 2006 12:51

Quote:

Those Breitling Watches just look over complecated. I really really hate watches with so much shit on them, just makes them look tacky. Simple and stylish wins all the time

Agreed. A friend of mine has a U-Boat, but those are both big AND ugly (they're even more flashy then your average golden Rolex :(). I personally have a watch from Italy, Nice (some design store there); pretty big, rectangular (which appears to be hot these days), black, and simple as possible. I prefer watches that show local time and date and nothing else, like the digital watches I used to have. Digital I actually like better than analogue, but analogue watches look better :(.

JonnyBGood 1 Jun 2006 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by hook
Agreed. A friend of mine has a U-Boat

I'd watch out and make sure he doesn't sink any passing ocean liners.

Appocomaster 1 Jun 2006 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I'd watch out and make sure he doesn't sink any passing ocean liners.

Be safer to stay on American Ocean Liners, as officially he has to be on the surface to sink those

JammyJim 1 Jun 2006 14:07

I quite want a Tag Heur Kirium... but then i want lots of things.

This is just one among hundreds of watching id quite happily purchase if i were stinking rich and could afford to throw away a few grand on the weekend just because i was in a good mood.

Appocomaster 1 Jun 2006 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by JammyJim

This is just one among hundreds of watching id quite happily purchase if i were stinking rich and could afford to throw away a few grand on the weekend just because i was in a good mood.

Work in those well paid London jobs that get 1 mil bonuses then :p

Nodrog 1 Jun 2006 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pig
Firstly I dont wear a watch and doubt I ever will. However I believe that you can tell a lot about someone from a watch mainly women as they wear watches..

Yes, you can tell "there's a person who knows what time it is!".

Also, why do you need a watch? Is your mobile phone too big to fit in your pocket or something?

JammyJim 1 Jun 2006 14:12

You dont need a watch per se but its much easier than digging around in a pocket for a phone especially when sitting down or whatnot.

Also a watch is meant to tell people a lot about you in the same way shoes supposedly do.

Just because you dont think it does doesnt mean it doesnt.

SO THERE NOD.

Appocomaster 1 Jun 2006 14:15

Also, you can't take mobile phones into the exam room :(

Nodrog 1 Jun 2006 14:18

Quote:

You dont need a watch per se but its much easier than digging around in a pocket for a phone especially when sitting down or whatnot.

You could do that with the infamous £5 Casio.

Seriously, the fact that you lot would even contemplate spending £500+ on a watch is hilarious. If any of you are actually rich then fair enough, but it's pretty tragic when poor people buy things they obviously cant afford just to make others believe they are wealthy or have 'class'.

Blastoderm 1 Jun 2006 14:19

Quote:

I thought you were rich? Driving Porsche's and all....

JonnyBGood 1 Jun 2006 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Also, you can't take mobile phones into the exam room :(

I'm pretty sure exam rooms come with clocks since like 1842 dude.