Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Compilation albums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=165092)

Deffeh 4 Jun 2003 11:24

Compilation albums

It must be law or something that every compilation usually involving "the greatest" must include a comedy recent track for no reason.

For example, who thought itd be a good idea to put Chad Kroeger - Hero on the "Greatest driving album of all time"

Or even better, what genius decided "Weezer - Hash Pipe" was one of the best air guitar anthems of all time.

Other examples / Explanations?

Snurx 4 Jun 2003 11:30

Uhh, what compilation albums do you buy?

I mean, i've never met that trend, but i don't really get hold of that many compilation albums, and if i do, it's usually obscure hiphop or strange regga, and on those, there are very few ...
No, actually, youre right. I've just never thoguht about it.
**** :(

CjC 4 Jun 2003 11:47

Makes me laugh when you see

"Greatest ... in the world ever II"

meaning that the original one should be renamed to "Not quite the greatest ... in the world ever"

Most compilations I see these days are usually comprised of 1 or possibly 2 big tracks which spark off a market hype - followed by the same tracks that seem to appear on every compilation regardless.

Its yet another way of scamming people out of money really.

Ocassionally I will find a compilation for a recording label rather than "Whats In" - They are usually much better.

Snurx 4 Jun 2003 11:49

There are a lot of great compliation albums out there, you just have to look past the "big" stores and go for genre-spesifics! Or mixtape's even, they also quite rock, but there are not many coming out nowadays, it seems :(
But they all have funny tracks :(

menth0l 4 Jun 2003 11:50

lo Rawkus

huh 4 Jun 2003 11:51

It's not just recent tracks they put in, it's the gimmicky 50's ones they put in which are generally ****e.

Embroglio 4 Jun 2003 12:51

Hash pipe is :cool:.

:(

Dante Hicks 4 Jun 2003 13:13

Maybe people have different taste to you.

Having said that, compilation albums are generally rubbish, and I don't understand why people don't just make their own.

Deffeh 4 Jun 2003 15:58

Quote:

Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Maybe people have different taste to you.

Having said that, compilation albums are generally rubbish, and I don't understand why people don't just make their own.

what makes hero a driving anthem? and how can you rationalise putting hash pipe on the greatest air guitar album, even accounting for taste?

the_dastardley_chihuahua 4 Jun 2003 16:17

never any beatles on best of the 60s albums either.

MrL_JaKiri 4 Jun 2003 16:19

Quote:

Originally posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
never any beatles on best of the 60s albums either.
That's because they can't afford it.

LHC 4 Jun 2003 16:19

It wouldn't suprise me if they put The Beatles on the "best of the nineties" and then tried to justify it by saying "well there was a 'Best of the Beatles' album released during the nineties".

Dante Hicks 4 Jun 2003 17:00

Quote:

Originally posted by Deffeh
what makes hero a driving anthem? and how can you rationalise putting hash pipe on the greatest air guitar album, even accounting for taste?
What were the other songs on the driving album?

Either way, it wouldn't be a "comedy" choice.

And Hash Pipe is a good guitar based song (not that I can even remember it at this moment). Problems?

Deffeh 4 Jun 2003 17:19

Quote:

Originally posted by Dante Hicks
What were the other songs on the driving album?

Either way, it wouldn't be a "comedy" choice.

And Hash Pipe is a good guitar based song (not that I can even remember it at this moment). Problems?

i cant remember to be honest.

Also, hash pipe is not good (opinion), and there are thousands of better songs than it (opinion) and there are thousands of better guitar riff / air guitar songs not on the album (fact).

MrL_JaKiri 4 Jun 2003 17:46

Hash pipe is not an air guitar song.

It's hardly riff based, is it?

Dante Hicks 4 Jun 2003 18:23

Quote:

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Hash pipe is not an air guitar song.

It's hardly riff based, is it?

Why would it need to be riff based?
Quote:

air guitar
noun _an imaginary guitar played while miming to rock music
It just needs to be rock music.

At the same time, I'm not claiming it's one of the best air guitar songs EVER, but I fail to see how that makes it a "comedy option"*

* = that expression is really, really tired now.

Deffeh 4 Jun 2003 18:48

i didnt use the phrase "comedy option", i said "comedy recent track"

Could you "air guitar" to hash pipe? Yes i know, technically you can air guitar to anything, but hash pipe is ridiculously far down the list of songs youd want to air guitar too (thats if you could even stand the piece of crap)

Dante Hicks 4 Jun 2003 18:54

Quote:

Originally posted by Deffeh
i didnt use the phrase "comedy option", i said "comedy recent track"
Well, it was over two years ago the album was released so it depends what you mean by recent but yeah.
Quote:

(thats if you could even stand the piece of crap)
Which comes back to my point about opinion.