Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Bring back the extra ETA research (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196372)

Veedeejem! 21 Apr 2008 09:07

Bring back the extra ETA research

Tittle sais it all really but i'll explain why exactly i want it.

Most of the time I played pa (from r10.5 till now) there used to be an extra ETA research so everything was a tick faster.
If my memory hasn't failed on me I remember this being changed because of an incluster attack bonus of -1.
This cluster attack bonus is gone now though, but the ETA's didn't change back to their original way.
It made the game feel a bit faster, and with the shorter rounds we're having we could use a bit more speed.

For those of you that don't know what i'm talking about:
Old ETA's
- attack: FI/CO eta 7, FR/DE eta 8, CR/BS eta 9
- defence: FI/CO eta 6, FR/DE eta 7, CR/BS eta 8

This should be very easy to do since it's only adding an extra traveltime research.

ParadiseLost 21 Apr 2008 09:10

Re: Bring back the extra ETA research

I agree, wud make the game a little faster, so more attacks a day ... yeah, i like it :cool:

Veedeejem! 21 Apr 2008 09:12

I've just been told that we did infact get the extra research back...
So my memory ****ed up :(

Doesn't change the fact that the game could use a little more speed though :p

Gate 21 Apr 2008 09:15

I'm not sure I'm happy with this...

The current system allows 7 hours sleep, or 7 hours at work without compromising your ability to run ships.

Mzyxptlk 21 Apr 2008 09:20

I'm with Gate on this one, we shouldn't make the game any faster than it is right now.

Kenny 21 Apr 2008 13:12

half hour ticks, 4 tick attacks, maximum of 1 login allowed per day.

jermain 21 Apr 2008 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny

ftw.

Zaejii 21 Apr 2008 17:21

iirc it was hypergate that was taken out, and it has already been reintroduced into the game. with the cluster bonuses i think the highest eta research was -3 (stargate).

Mzyxptlk 21 Apr 2008 18:38

He said that already Zaejii, but thanks for repeating it.

furball 21 Apr 2008 22:35

Quote:

How would that ever be a good thing?

Veedeejem! 21 Apr 2008 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball

Kenny lives in Kennyworld...

Should explain everything I think :p

PS: He's also ginger!

Kenny 22 Apr 2008 02:28

Quote:

It's long overdue tbh.

Ave 22 Apr 2008 12:00

I wouldnt mind more speed. Its hard to do 1 tick kills, so who cares if u lose a bit. The game gets far more intensive and interesting.

Wishmaster 22 Apr 2008 13:29

I love 30mins ticks.
I d love eta 5 attacks or something :p

jermain 22 Apr 2008 19:01

idd, i love 30min ticks aswell, its more fun and brings a new tactic of day attacks aswell as night attacks.

ArcChas 22 Apr 2008 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jermain
idd, i love 30min ticks aswell, its more fun and brings a new tactic of day attacks aswell as night attacks.

Yes - let's make the game impossible for the people who have to work - as well as for those who have to sleep. :rolleyes:

Mzyxptlk 22 Apr 2008 21:24

Changing to 30min ticks now would be utterly retarded, considering the changes we've seen in the last, oh, I don't know, 16 rounds?

Go play pia if you want to see what happens to a game with 30min ticks.

Wishmaster 22 Apr 2008 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Changing to 30min ticks now would be utterly retarded, considering the changes we've seen in the last, oh, I don't know, 16 rounds?

go play pa if u want to see what happens to a game with 60 mins ticks?

pia died when it went over to 60mins ticks, before that it just lost players...like*shocker* all other games like it.

60mins ticks is clearly the only way to go, look at PA! yay? :(

Kenny 22 Apr 2008 23:57

15 minute ticks, 100m's of resources, 1000's of roids, all tech and cons complete. 7-day rounds, with a 5 day break in the middle.

Mzyxptlk 23 Apr 2008 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaster
go play pa if u want to see what happens to a game with 60 mins ticks?

pia died when it went over to 60mins ticks, before that it just lost players...like*shocker* all other games like it.

60mins ticks is clearly the only way to go, look at PA! yay? :(

Yeah, pia was really doing much better than PA before they switched to 60min ticks. In fact, anyone arguing that pia was/is a better game than PA is only succeeding in making himself look utterly ridiculous.

Kenny, another try? ;)

Wishmaster 23 Apr 2008 09:44

Quote:

Yeah, pia was really doing much better than PA before they switched to 60min ticks. In fact, anyone arguing that pia was/is a better game than PA is only succeeding in making himself look utterly ridiculous.

Kenny, another try? ;)

pia was alot more fun than pa from r10-12.

it then died cause it had even more shit people in command than pa did, and even less of a plan of what to do with the game.
Oh, and ye, it never had as big playerbase.

Ave 23 Apr 2008 10:10

Quote:

Alltho I agree with you on keeping 1 hour ticks... I would still like to see the game as more intensive, if there is nothing going on in whole day, how can u expect people to bother with the game? Only action goes on when u sleep.

We can add some protection ways like sleep mode of 1-2 hours or something if u go to work/sleep, which u can use once per day. Still the ones able to be online gets something to do instead of waiting fleets flying 12 fcking ticks.

Pia was allways shit as it had anything original or unique. It never had a real coder or admin team. Most of its playerbase were also selfish cheaters who cared all about ranks and zero about fun or thinking about the future of the game. Which brings naturally a game down sooner or later.

Only reason I see people even bothered with it, is because it was another playground for PA, with 2nd largest playerbase and it had more speed.

Wishmaster 23 Apr 2008 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ave
Pia was allways shit as it had anything original or unique. It never had a real coder or admin team. Most of its playerbase were also selfish cheaters who cared all about ranks and zero about fun or thinking about the future of the game. Which brings naturally a game down sooner or later.

Only reason I see people even bothered with it, is because it was another playground for PA, with 2nd largest playerbase and it had more speed.

it was a copy. it had shit admins, was less professional.

And yes..sure..pia players were all cheaters and more selfish than PA players.
riight :p also, pa players have been thinking so much about the future of the game! good point.

Main reason why people moved to pia enmass was because they hated PAX.
I still do :(

Ave 23 Apr 2008 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishmaster
it was a copy. it had shit admins, was less professional.

And yes..sure..pia players were all cheaters and more selfish than PA players.
riight :p also, pa players have been thinking so much about the future of the game! good point.

Main reason why people moved to pia enmass was because they hated PAX.
I still do :(

oh I compare to other games, not PA. They all moved from PA so u can't expect them to be any better.

GReaper 23 Apr 2008 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ave
Alltho I agree with you on keeping 1 hour ticks... I would still like to see the game as more intensive, if there is nothing going on in whole day, how can u expect people to bother with the game? Only action goes on when u sleep.

I entirely agree that this game is incredibly boring apart from at night time when everyone has their fleets on pre-launch. If you want to play seriously then the only way to do it is sacrifice sleep - which people with other commitments just can't do these days. I'm sure many of us started this game as students but have now moved on.

Start a new thread if you feel you've got decent suggestions for it though.

Kenny 23 Apr 2008 22:18

Quote:

Kenny, another try? ;)

Right...

I want half the day on 30 minute ticks, with 15 minute ticks from 19:00-23:00 because that's the busiest time so it should have the most action, and then 1 hour ticks for the rest of the day (apart from 7am - 9am, which should give Ave plenty of time to sleep).

During the slow times resources have a 50% increase in output so that when you arrive back to your pc, you have lots of nice resources ready. However during the busy times resource output should be reduced by 27% to instill some kind of balance, and to stop people building lots of new ships to be used at 11 that night.

I think everybody should start with 5 amps and 5 distorters and the construction limit increased to 160 to accommodate this.

Everyone should also have 5 of each factory to begin with, but double the amount of time it takes to research hulls to compensate.

We should make it so that defense fleets take 120% the amount of time as attack fleets do, unless you're in a tag in which case def should be 30% of the attack time. In order to ensure this isn't abused, alliance limits should be taken down to 17.

And a round should only last 5 hours, with the winner being decided on a game of tic-tac-toe OR for summer rounds: rock-paper-scissors.

jermain 23 Apr 2008 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcChas
Yes - let's make the game impossible for the people who have to work - as well as for those who have to sleep. :rolleyes:

u get much more sleep in 30min games with 3 tick attack/defence than in pa. If u get inc in pa if u want decent defence u gotta stay up for hours until all waves have been launched and properly defended due to the 1 tick attack or defence, which tbh sux.

Pre-launch lets u sleep more when attacking but if u get incs, u dont sleep at all.

furball 23 Apr 2008 23:32

Quote:

Right...

I want half the day on 30 minute ticks, with 15 minute ticks from 19:00-23:00 because that's the busiest time so it should have the most action, and then 1 hour ticks for the rest of the day (apart from 7am - 9am, which should give Ave plenty of time to sleep).

Someone's conveniently forgotten that NOT EVERY PA PLAYER LIVES IN A EUROPEAN TIMEZONE.

Kenny 24 Apr 2008 00:14

Quote:

Someone's conveniently forgotten that NOT EVERY PA PLAYER LIVES IN A EUROPEAN TIMEZONE.

I MEANT GAMETIME!

Ultimate Newbie 24 Apr 2008 03:04

Quote:

I MEANT GAMETIME!

Well, the game time is based on GMT. Thus, the early evening in Pom when you're enjoing your 15 min ticks and i'm at work means that you could attack me with impunity. Similarly, your mid-morning speed time is 2-4am my time, which is further disadvantage. And then, when I can actually play the game, its crawling along at the current speed of 1 hour.

Sounds like a win?

If you want to piss off all of the australians/new zealanders, and all the americans who play this game (and are definately above average players), then this is a good move. Not sure whether you'd recoup the fall in long-term players or not though.

Veedeejem! 24 Apr 2008 07:36

I really doubt Kenny was being serious with his suggestions...
He's probably laughing caus you're all posting why his ideas are bad.

Wishmaster 24 Apr 2008 08:51

Quote:

And a round should only last 5 hours, with the winner being decided on a game of tic-tac-toe OR for summer rounds: rock-paper-scissors.

I M GONNA WIN THE SUMMER ROUNDS! CAUSE I ROCK AT ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS!

jermain 24 Apr 2008 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, the game time is based on GMT. Thus, the early evening in Pom when you're enjoing your 15 min ticks and i'm at work means that you could attack me with impunity. Similarly, your mid-morning speed time is 2-4am my time, which is further disadvantage. And then, when I can actually play the game, its crawling along at the current speed of 1 hour.

Sounds like a win?

If you want to piss off all of the australians/new zealanders, and all the americans who play this game (and are definately above average players), then this is a good move. Not sure whether you'd recoup the fall in long-term players or not though.

rofl!!! u actually took that seriously, oh dear :S

Rikard 24 Apr 2008 23:43

Quote:

Right...

Wait how would we implement the variable tick times when it only takes 5 hours? :crymeariver:

Ultimate Newbie 25 Apr 2008 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jermain
rofl!!! u actually took that seriously, oh dear :S

Well, i was stuck. Its a silly idea posted on the suggestions forum. If someone PA team sees it, and recall that they're attracted by silly ideas, and adopts it thus screwing non-euro players, i'd then have myself to blame for not speaking against it.

Additional benefits include amusing you, which is justification for me posting in and of itself.

;)

Cochese 25 Apr 2008 06:20

If they started running the speedgame again, you could get your rocks off that way.