Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Other Languages and Planetarion (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187918)

Appocomaster 20 Oct 2005 21:00

Other Languages and Planetarion

I know that a large amount of people playing Planetarion don't have English as their first language. While Jolt have asked that the game stay officially English - i.e. the game contents and all official support will still be in English (if nothing else give the community common ground and keep it together), they don't mind other articles written in other languages. If people are willing to get together and write articles in German, Dutch, Norwegian, and so forth (I will get a list of the current ranking of non-UK countries if required) then I'll get them uploaded somewhere and link to them so the new players can have them to read if their English isn't that great.

Shyne 21 Oct 2005 14:14

Re: Other Languages and Planetarion

Why not have language as interchangable as skins? :o

Increases server load a bit, but ive no idea if it would be significant on a game this size.

Appocomaster 21 Oct 2005 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shyne
Why not have language as interchangable as skins? :o
Increases server load a bit, but ive no idea if it would be significant on a game this size.

Load wouldn't be important.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I know that a large amount of people playing Planetarion don't have English as their first language. While Jolt have asked that the game stay officially English - i.e. the game contents and all official support will still be in English ....

Shyne 21 Oct 2005 14:36

Jolt arrogance is the only barrier then :)

JonnyBGood 21 Oct 2005 14:51

A large part of the problem with providing service for other languages officially is that there are a small number of people who speak languages that are not english in the game. Hence, rather obviously, a smaller number of people who are both willing to give of their time to the game and who are suitable for a position of responsibility. While I'm sure you could probably find one, maybe two, people in each area one rather doubts they would be able to provide 24 hour coverage, therefore it would not be proper full language support. Problems would also arise with the number of people in the various teams. Rather than have this quite messy situation it appears that pateam are going the route of providing acknowledgedly limited support for other languages. I, for one, applaud these efforts. I've always felt that the community benefitted from speaking a common language. It makes movement so much easier. I don't think arrogance has much to do with anything to be perfectly honest.

Kjeldoran 21 Oct 2005 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shyne
Jolt arrogance is the only barrier then :)

Tell us something new ;)

Stifler 21 Oct 2005 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
A large part of the problem with providing service for other languages officially is that there are a small number of people who speak languages that are not english in the game. Hence, rather obviously, a smaller number of people who are both willing to give of their time to the game and who are suitable for a position of responsibility. While I'm sure you could probably find one, maybe two, people in each area one rather doubts they would be able to provide 24 hour coverage, therefore it would not be proper full language support. Problems would also arise with the number of people in the various teams. Rather than have this quite messy situation it appears that pateam are going the route of providing acknowledgedly limited support for other languages. I, for one, applaud these efforts. I've always felt that the community benefitted from speaking a common language. It makes movement so much easier. I don't think arrogance has much to do with anything to be perfectly honest.

If they are writing guides not actually sitting in #support then 24hr coverage is not really needed. From what I can gather, Appoc is not asking biligual people for #support staff but to have people who can write support guides for general/common problems.

A2 22 Oct 2005 00:02

Multiple languages were something that were looked at a while ago as I remember. There were 2 concerns:
1) making sure that EVERYONE understood that the absolute version of the rules were the English ones, and that the translations may not represent the actual rules and the spirit of the rules effectively. (the concern would be that someone would say that the Spanish [example] version made it sound like multi-ing was illegal only if people were trying to access the account simultaneously rather than more than one person accessing an account at any time)
2) Fragmenting the community. Although the game would be available in multiple languages (assuming all the translation bugs could be ironed out) the main announcements and support procedures would still be mainly provided in English. As it is now everyone in the game has to speak English to some extent (which may or may not give a bias to everyone who is a native English speaker - whatever language the game was based one there would be native and non-native speakers) As such everyone playing the game can in theory communicate with everyone else. A linguistically fragmented community could be a disaster or could be a blessing.

Appocomaster 22 Oct 2005 11:31

This is why I feel any more than having guides is a bad idea. (Some level of) English needs to be common ground to keep the community together. I feel that guides will help keep some players who don't have English good enough to read and understand all the manuals, yet who's English is generally good enough to get by in converstation.

Alessio 22 Oct 2005 11:45

Non-English manuals/guides for the win :up:
The rest can and should stay english.. just like other online software games

reminds me of my own suggestion :p

Heartless 22 Oct 2005 13:05

I fail to see how NOT supporting multiple languages is getting Planetarion to grow larger. I once again have to refer to Hattrick.org where you can chose your language. All it takes is some effort to ensure it's all correctly translated, but then again ... Jolt doesn't seem to be a company which has a lot of knowledge about the Browsergame market nor a lot of interest in it.

Banned 22 Oct 2005 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartless
I fail to see how NOT supporting multiple languages is getting Planetarion to grow larger. I once again have to refer to Hattrick.org where you can chose your language. All it takes is some effort to ensure it's all correctly translated, but then again ... Jolt doesn't seem to be a company which has a lot of knowledge about the Browsergame market nor a lot of interest in it.

But the community!

wakey 22 Oct 2005 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartless

Hattrick however isnt a game that relies so much on the community side to be fun. Making a game fully transalated like that would bring in more players BUT i'm unsure it would help the game. Would someone who can only speak chinese be accepted into your galaxy or alliance, I think not.

If this was a game where we played solo then getting as many people in no matter the language is fine BUT this is a very much a team game and its success lies somewhat in people being able to communicate

Shyne 22 Oct 2005 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakey
BUT i'm unsure it would help the game. Would someone who can only speak chinese be accepted into your galaxy or alliance, I think not.

It certainly wouldn't hinder the game though would it !

Rules can easily be translated by a good translator. Most of the non english I see speak fantastic english and can translate to norwegian and other eu languages with ease.

Rules are facts and thus easily translated. It's the guides that are harder to translate.

madman2k30III 22 Oct 2005 19:55

why not set up other language forums within pirate.planetarion.com say 1 for german 1 for english 1 for spanish and then ppl can talk then in there closest language to them forums

Heartless 22 Oct 2005 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakey
Hattrick however isnt a game that relies so much on the community side to be fun. Making a game fully transalated like that would bring in more players BUT i'm unsure it would help the game. Would someone who can only speak chinese be accepted into your galaxy or alliance, I think not.

If this was a game where we played solo then getting as many people in no matter the language is fine BUT this is a very much a team game and its success lies somewhat in people being able to communicate

Let's take ToT as an example. They only allowed german speaking people among their rows and performed very well. In the end it might lead to more localized alliances, but not to less.

cypher 22 Oct 2005 21:17

same with tfd.. i'm sure you can find people willing to translate if jolt is willing to try.

and guess what:D i'm sure people can do it for free!