Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   the name gaylord (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=183001)

Perle 24 Jan 2005 00:28

the name gaylord

liittle strange isnt it?? where does it come from?

Superpig #1 24 Jan 2005 00:32

Re: the name gaylord

Meaning - "Lord of the gays"

Presumably.

Or maybe thats the new Lord of the rings film....

Weeks 24 Jan 2005 00:36

I'm not sure perle,
although, gay is a negative term in some contexts,
and lord is the highest of all.
so i'm guessing that.

i'd say, these days, it's a little passe.
but you are more than free to use it.
but, bare in mind people may find it a little immature.

1-X 24 Jan 2005 00:43

I looked it up on a 'meanings of first names' site...

it's derived from Old French gaillard "high-spirited".

Marilyn Manson 24 Jan 2005 00:53

It was, initially, a cabinet position alongside the First Lord of the Admiralty. Originally the First Lord himself had responsiblities for buggery in the navy, however it proved increasingly difficult, as the navy became a more important institution, for the FL to deal with all secondary matters pertaining to the navy, and thus the post of Gaylord of the Admiralty was instituted in 1711.

Notable Gaylords include Sir George 'Arsehole' Hamilton, the infamous Sir Stanley 'Deepthroat' Havisham, (Whose activities allegedly contributed to the collapse of Peel's second ministry.) and Lord John Menzies, who oversaw the introduction of compulsory monthly orgies for senior officers aboard ship, which has been since recognised as a revolutionary step in the promotion of naval esprit de corps, camaraderie, and general unity of purpose, and which was quickly adopted by the French and Dutch navies.

The post, was alas, eventually abolished in 1961, with the post of First Lord following shortly after. However, the name 'Gaylord' itself (Meaning 'Jolly fellow of the sea.') lives on to this day.

Lupin 24 Jan 2005 01:01

gay doesnt have to mean faggotry.

some years ago, it meant something like happy or so.

mist 24 Jan 2005 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
It was, initially, a cabinet position alongside the First Lord of the Admiralty.

this thread has been won, and should now be closed.

Raging.Retard 24 Jan 2005 03:13

I've met someone called Gaylord.

He uses his middle name instead.

Hicks 24 Jan 2005 05:15

Did someone call you a gayloard Perle ? I can't imagine why :confused:

That family who killed the little boy with salt a few weeks ago were called Mr and Mrs Gay.

demiGOD 24 Jan 2005 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
gay doesnt have to mean faggotry.

faggotry.. sounds very medieval

SYMM 24 Jan 2005 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicks
Did someone call you a gayloard Perle ? I can't imagine why :confused:

That family who killed the little boy with salt a few weeks ago were called Mr and Mrs Gay.

It was funny when I walked into the louge to hear John Snow saying "The Judge has sentenced the gays to 5 years in prison"....

Marilyn Manson 24 Jan 2005 14:45

You'd have to be pretty gay if the most imaginative means of bumping off a child you could think of was with salt.

Perle 24 Jan 2005 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mist
this thread has been won, and should now be closed.

yep, MM closed the deal.

SYMM 26 Jan 2005 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
You'd have to be pretty gay if the most imaginative means of bumping off a child you could think of was with salt.

From what I remember reading, they didn't think/know that the salt would kill the child, they just wanted to make it ill, as they thought that would help their chances of being allowed to keep it. Or something

MrL_JaKiri 26 Jan 2005 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYMM
From what I remember reading, they didn't think/know that the salt would kill the child, they just wanted to make it ill, as they thought that would help their chances of being allowed to keep it. Or something

No, they wanted rid of it.

SYMM 26 Jan 2005 00:25

oh

Kurashima 26 Jan 2005 00:32

The most blatantly obvious reason for this thread is that Perle has just watched, or is watching , one of the Meet the Parents movies , in which Ben Stiller plays a character called Gaylord Focker.

Stew 26 Jan 2005 00:38

I knew I was right, I thought I bet it's to do with Meet the Parents or Meet the Fockers, so I imdb'd it, and it says Ben Stiller plays Greg Focker. Also, imdb does not have Colin Farrell as starring in Alexander unless you look at the list of full credits.

Yahwe 26 Jan 2005 01:03

see how in your searching you sometimes stumble accross the truth...

the word gay-lord is a corruption of the name gayor/gayorg a tuetonic name from the roman gaius.

demiGOD 26 Jan 2005 01:05

back in ancient greece, they got a faggot god called gaylord