Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   so here's what irks me (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=200751)

Tietäjä 21 Feb 2015 13:32

so here's what irks me

consider you have a memory storage, say a hard disk
and an expected life span of a given amount of time t
the exact estimate of t is inprecise

you are to optimize the memory usage, as with the following constraints

1) there are vital programs the existance of which is to be ensured at all times
2) the storage always needs to have sufficient empty storage to store new stuff over the period t
3) unnecessary information cannot be deleted at will; instead, un-used programs that are not class 1) are only removed through expiry processes (consider half-life)
4) there is no way of improving compression
5) input stream of new information can be made selective as desired, as a function of any of the above constraints but not of any external item

see by the time you've reached halfway of the storage, it's full of crap you can't wait to get rid of but you can't just ****ing delete

because of constraint 2), the input stream 5) must ultimately be a function of the empty storage space (and a monotonously decreasing a function).

because of constraint 3), the higher the early age t-n input stream is, the steeper the (decreasing) input stream curve must be

now at the hyperbole situation of t being infinite, the input stream function can only equal the function of half-lifes of all previously storaged input, excluding those constrained by 1)

this yields a system that is doomed to self-destruct asymptotically, or at least become more or less paralyzed (say, as a random process of input streams fills the disk with items with higher and higher half-lives; by this i mean that since shorter half-life information decays faster and is replaced by say normally distributed half-life the half-lifes of the system will gradually increase), the input stream asymptotically approaches zero, since the half-lifes asymptotically approach infinite; this is of course only if there are items in the input stream with half-lifes approaching infinity, because ultimately all the information in the storage will have either half-lifes approaching infinity or are constrained)

its a vegetable
doomed to become one

Tietäjä 21 Feb 2015 13:38

Re: so here's what irks me

it's impossible to solve it right, when taking into account the hyperbole situation where the input stream curve is so tight that essentially no new information gets in to the storage but just a tiny fraction approaching zero of free storage space remains to satisfy constraints

any solutions are dependent on the precision of the estimate t.

Appocomaster 21 Feb 2015 20:39

What's the purpose of this? a theoretical exercise?

Tietäjä 21 Feb 2015 20:50

i thought you'd be clever enough to guess

does the purpose of this bear any relevance to the answer

the primary purpose is of course to reinvigorate general discussions with something else than your shitty four word stories

Tietäjä 21 Feb 2015 21:07

to be precise, in fact, constraint 1) is futile. they're just pieces of storage with an infinite half-life
so maybe it'd be more elegant if there were fewer variables and constraints, ie. just the half-life of the stored unit, depending on how high it exceeds some threshold, and then refresh the half-life each time the memory unit is activated to represent decay

you should be able to fit this in one equation

Mzyxptlk 21 Feb 2015 21:54

You're being kind of dickish these days.

Tietäjä 21 Feb 2015 22:05

you're so dull. it's more difficult than it seems.

Bane 22 Feb 2015 08:12

Upload to the internet

I win

Tietäjä 22 Feb 2015 18:10

yeah i know you do

Adapt 22 Feb 2015 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bane (Post 3240689)
Upload to the internet

I win

you swing, are the most useless person i have spoke too

<3