Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I cheated. ;) (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=194669)

AdmV0rl0n 9 Jun 2007 11:14

I cheated. ;)

OK, so, first off, just to say I advised PAteam of this, so it should a loophole closed.

On signup the EULA is (or by the time you read this.. was) editable before clicking 'I agree'.

Obviously, a loophole that could cause some fun.:devil:

Achilles 9 Jun 2007 11:27

Re: I cheated. ;)

Irrelevant if they don't. Editing the EULA before signing would be materially changing the contract between you and PA, meaning they (PA, Jolt, affiliates) would not be considered bound by said contract and no contract would exist. Thus you could have your account removed for failure to sign an EULA agreement between yourself and Jolt.

Obviously still very careless that it was editable in the first place.

AdmV0rl0n 9 Jun 2007 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles
Irrelevant if they don't. Editing the EULA before signing would be materially changing the contract between you and PA, meaning they (PA, Jolt, affiliates) would not be considered bound by said contract and no contract would exist. Thus you could have your account removed for failure to sign an EULA agreement between yourself and Jolt.

Obviously still very careless that it was editable in the first place.

---

Well, that's your take. EULA's are very grey legally. And allowing one party to edit it means that one might argue such a contract still holds water. But thats all besides the point. I posted in humour, so no need to go overboard. PAteam were advised, I am sure the loophole will get snipped

Ad

furball 9 Jun 2007 17:28

It's a tricky situation but I can't see you being allowed to succeed in English contract law solely on the basis of editing the EULA before agreeing to it.

AdmV0rl0n 9 Jun 2007 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by furball
It's a tricky situation but I can't see you being allowed to succeed in English contract law solely on the basis of editing the EULA before agreeing to it.

Erm, if you follow that line, click through EULA's are at best wobbly. And thats just in the UK. You may have noted that both Gateway and Second life are in legal action over EULAs.

Further, lets be real about this. The EULA can't have legal basis, as you have under 16's signing a legal contract - assuming people start getting overly legal on the subject.

Anyway, lets get away from being serious, It was a humourous posting and I don't think the EULA will remain in a state where someone can edit it before clicking 'I agree'.

Kal 9 Jun 2007 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmV0rl0n
Erm, if you follow that line, click through EULA's are at best wobbly. And thats just in the UK. You may have noted that both Gateway and Second life are in legal action over EULAs.

Further, lets be real about this. The EULA can't have legal basis, as you have under 16's signing a legal contract - assuming people start getting overly legal on the subject.

Anyway, lets get away from being serious, It was a humourous posting and I don't think the EULA will remain in a state where someone can edit it before clicking 'I agree'.

EULA says you have to be over 18 to play, or get an over 18 person to agree to the EULA. Therefore, we could technically close all people under 16 who didn't get an adult to agree it.

Kargool 9 Jun 2007 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal
EULA says you have to be over 18 to play, or get an over 18 person to agree to the EULA. Therefore, we could technically close all people under 16 who didn't get an adult to agree it.

Im sure this make sense for somebody.

jerome 9 Jun 2007 19:41

heh good stuff kal, keep up the work. incidentally if this is the case, why is all the censorship and such faggotry aimed at babies?

AdmV0rl0n 9 Jun 2007 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal

You know, this is thin ice. Seriously. Even if an adult clicks 'I agree', making that legal link between that person and the person you close is dubious. Click through EULAs are very shaky legally once you start with this stuff.

That aside, if its over 18 to play, GREAT, we can have lots of dubious pron for out gal pics ;P

Kal 9 Jun 2007 20:23

Quote:

You know, this is thin ice. Seriously. Even if an adult clicks 'I agree', making that legal link between that person and the person you close is dubious. Click through EULAs are very shaky legally once you start with this stuff.

That aside, if its over 18 to play, GREAT, we can have lots of dubious pron for out gal pics ;P

Clearly the game isn't for over 18's only - in the same sense lots of standalone pc and console games arn't. But for the eula's to be legally binding they require agreement with someone who is old enough to enter into a binding contract. That is why a lot of eula's have similar statements as ours do about age. The contract is therefore with the adult who clicks the button and jolt.

Mzyxptlk 9 Jun 2007 23:11

I'm fairly confident (though by no means certain) that the "18 year old person" that needs to agree can in fact only be the legal guardian, and no one else.

AdmV0rl0n 10 Jun 2007 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
I'm fairly confident (though by no means certain) that the "18 year old person" that needs to agree can in fact only be the legal guardian, and no one else.

I'm quite sure that if ever tested legally, which no one wants, that the EULA would be a very tricky area. Its not likely someone would take legal action given the low cost, and it would be quite against the spirit of the game to do so anyway. But if it ever came to a crunch, I would not be too keen to tie myself to the mast of the EULA.

Tomkat 10 Jun 2007 00:58

REALLY?!

I'm off to take a tippex and a biro to my work contract then, and add another £50k to my salary!

Heartless 10 Jun 2007 01:44

I wonder what Amazon & co are going to say about EULA's on the internet being illegal :D

AdmV0rl0n, sorry, but I have rarely seen someone talking as much shit as you lately.

Ferretus 10 Jun 2007 01:48

The post was meant in jest as well as highlighting an issue!

What has happened to people in this game?

Mzyxptlk 10 Jun 2007 02:41

What's happened is that we don't think it was an issue at all.

Kal 10 Jun 2007 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk

that is almost certainly true, yes.

Zo0f 10 Jun 2007 17:13

AdmV0rl0n has a good point. I edited my work and bank account contracts (on paper) before signing them. These were then accepted by the bank and my work.

Planetarion automatically accepts the agreement, so leaving the ability to edit it is dangerous ground.

In the end its a silly mistake, fix it and move on, its hardly a big deal. Everyone will need to agree to it again next round anyway.

I am Idler 11 Jun 2007 17:38

Quote:

Why havent you been closed for trolling ? Another legal thread is the very last thing I wanted to read on the internet today, this and whatever story that bitch Paris Hilton is making up to get out of jail

Mzyxptlk 11 Jun 2007 17:38

Paris Hilton is in jail? Tell me more! :o

AdmV0rl0n 19 Jun 2007 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zo0f
AdmV0rl0n has a good point. I edited my work and bank account contracts (on paper) before signing them. These were then accepted by the bank and my work.

Planetarion automatically accepts the agreement, so leaving the ability to edit it is dangerous ground.

In the end its a silly mistake, fix it and move on, its hardly a big deal. Everyone will need to agree to it again next round anyway.

I had a very good point indeed. And I expressed it in a light hearted way so I would have hoped people would understand things, as well as accept the genial way I raised the issue.

As for those with sour responses, or worse, those who stupidly tried to claim it was not an issue, who cares? I certainly don't.