Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Hardware and Tech Support (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   is it possible too.... (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=152074)

w2k 24 Oct 2002 16:24

is it possible too....

copy the contents of one hardisk to another one including partitions or would you have to copy each partition?

Also is it better to put a second HD on the same IDE cable as another HD or do I put it on the same IDE as the cdrom??

BesigedB 24 Oct 2002 16:45

well for 'best' performance you should have one cd and one hd on each cable (in a 2cd 2hd setup) - but in reality cable length sometimes prevents you from doing this

MT 24 Oct 2002 17:35

Quote:

Originally posted by BesigedB
well for 'best' performance you should have one cd and one hd on each cable (in a 2cd 2hd setup) - but in reality cable length sometimes prevents you from doing this
Amusing. You know that paralell devices like ATA will drop and operate at the speed of the slowest member, ie ATA33 for a DVD drive. Funny :)

spanker 24 Oct 2002 18:37

Are you saying that an ata 133 drive will drop down to the slowest drive ata mode on the same cable? if you are, i suggest you try it out.......

meglamaniac 24 Oct 2002 18:41

Noton Ghost.

BesigedB 24 Oct 2002 19:17

Quote:

Originally posted by MT

Amusing. You know that paralell devices like ATA will drop and operate at the speed of the slowest member, ie ATA33 for a DVD drive. Funny :)

i was advised otherwise

Cocaine 24 Oct 2002 19:52

Quote:

Originally posted by MT

i've heard that aswell but I've also heard that that was a lie

queball 24 Oct 2002 20:39

Quote:

Originally posted by Cocaine

i've heard that aswell but I've also heard that that was a lie

Same.

Androme 24 Oct 2002 21:07

Quote:

Originally posted by meglamaniac
Noton Ghost.
NORTON HOST FFS

w2k 24 Oct 2002 22:47

Quote:

Originally posted by MT

so what ide setupdo u recommend

both HD's on the same ide or one with the CDROM?

Miserableman 25 Oct 2002 10:50

Quote:

Originally posted by MT

I always thought otherwise until I read an ABIT manual telling me exactly this :o

My two HDs each share an IDE cable with a CD/DVD device, I cba to reconnect them, they're fast enough

Gayle29uk 25 Oct 2002 11:44

Google is ALWAYS your friend :)

Taken from the EIDE FAQ...
Quote:

4.4 Are old IDE drives compatible with EIDE and U-ATA interfaces?

This should work fine.

Older drives do not support the high-speed advanced transfer modes defined by ATA-2 and, later, Ultra-ATA. To retain compatibility with these drives, ATA-2 and Ultra-ATA interfaces have programmable timing. The driver or BIOS queries the drive regarding its maximum transfer rate and will configure the interface to match. A few interfaces are jumper configurable in which case the responsibility is yours.

If you intend to put an older drive on the same cable as an ATA-2 drive, you may want to verify that your interface is capable of using independent timing for master and slave device. Otherwise, your old drive might end up slowing down your newer one because the controller is forced to use the lowest common speed. Modern interfaces like the Intel PIIX3 (430HX and VX and 440FX chipset), PIIX4 (430TX chipset) and, to a lesser extent PIIX (430FX chipset) don't suffer from this problem.

MT 25 Oct 2002 12:27

I've always done it my way - I've got two identical ATA-66 5400 rpm HD's, for a test I linked them both as master on ide0 and ide1 respectively. On ide0 I added a ATA-66 DVD ROM and on ide2 an old ATAPI ZIP drive running at (I think) PIO 5 (?) (could be 3?). In a **** test, it took almost 50% longer to copy a large file over the ethernet to the disk on ide1 than to the disk on ide0.

The disk that was on ide1 now resides, very happily, on ide3 (benefits of a raid controller ;)