Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Surely this is just asking for trouble... (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=186502)

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 10:41

Surely this is just asking for trouble...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tube_map.shtml

Just look at the first translation offered...

NEWSBOT3 20 Jul 2005 13:29

Re: Surely this is just asking for trouble...

no, thats you asking to get flamed for being a predjudiced mong.

next question.

Lupin 20 Jul 2005 13:38

Ohhh H Kay

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 13:44

You know, you lot are actually a bunch of pr1cks really. There is a whole thread dedicated to tasteless London Bombing jokes which I particpated in because it was humourous for GD yet when I point out something funny that I found by accident I get comments like yours and neg repped by the simple minded.

Now, will you please go f*ck yourself mr newsbot?

furball 20 Jul 2005 13:45

I smiled. CrashTester has a point as well.

It's hardly the funniest thing around, but it was well-made all the same.

Dante Hicks 20 Jul 2005 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTester
You know, you lot are actually a bunch of pr1cks really.

"You lot" is a bit of an over-reaction after two replies.

Also, there's no need to censor "prick" or "shit". They're not auto-censored.

JammyJim 20 Jul 2005 14:15

Less hate
more love

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
"You lot" is a bit of an over-reaction after two replies.

Also, there's no need to censor "prick" or "shit". They're not auto-censored.

No no, I was also referring to the many neg reps that anonymous people have left.

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
In any case for some reason I always feel more inclined to flame Crashtester.

I can live with that, I just cant live with dicks who 'dont get it'

Nusselt 20 Jul 2005 14:19

I don't get it.

Nusselt 20 Jul 2005 14:23

rawwr

:up:

noah02 20 Jul 2005 14:27

I get it.

Supersander 20 Jul 2005 14:33

I find it rather amusing to see how a lot of threads here get started with a funny or nice intent but, regardless the topic, within a few post a few people already manage to turn it into some big dispute or flame-fest.

Radical Edward 20 Jul 2005 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I'll give it to you :D

is this conversation still about pricks and shit?

Radical Edward 20 Jul 2005 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersander
I find it rather amusing to see how a lot of threads here get started with a funny or nice intent but, regardless the topic, within a few post a few people already manage to turn it into some big dispute or flame-fest.

welcome to the GD strange attractor.

pig 20 Jul 2005 15:02

it made me laugh

Phang 20 Jul 2005 17:00

i get it. now **** off and die you racist ****.

QazokRouge5 20 Jul 2005 17:00

hehe londoners aren't known for brilliance

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phang

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reaction of someone who's just found out he's been neg repped for being shit.

Phang, care to explain how pointing out something on London undergrounds website makes me racist? Go on, give it a bash - and thats not an invitation to do what commercial bankers do best.

Phang 20 Jul 2005 19:00

Quote:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reaction of someone who's just found out he's been neg repped for being shit.

Phang, care to explain how pointing out something on London undergrounds website makes me racist? Go on, give it a bash - and thats not an invitation to do what commercial bankers do best.

the strong implication that the only reason someone who speaks arabic would want to use the tube is to blow it up?

And I really can't describe how little I care when people so fundamentally shit as you leaves me neg rep. If someone I have a trace of respect for leaves me neg rep I may feel inclined to find out what I did wrong. In your case this does not apply.

dda 20 Jul 2005 19:13

Quote:

Are Arabs a race?

skiddy 20 Jul 2005 19:16

Quote:

How about...

A large, yet still a minority class, population of the country are from or descend from an arabic speaking country.

London is the capital city.

Morpeth County Hospital has arabic signs for it's departments, and that's stuck in a tiny town fifteen mile north of Newcastle.

The London Underground, many would say the only sane way to travel around London due to the city's size and density, attracts millions of travellers per year.

Out of that, lets say, one million, I'd imagine at least 15% would be of an arabic speaking background. Putting an arabic translation is hardly handing terrorists an invitation to bomb the place.

I'd assume in an older version of the website, they'd have had
aonad diúscartha buamaí printed somewhere so the IRA knew the location of the Bomb Disposal Unit...

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 19:31

Quote:

the strong implication that the only reason someone who speaks arabic would want to use the tube is to blow it up?

And I really can't describe how little I care when people so fundamentally shit as you leaves me neg rep. If someone I have a trace of respect for leaves me neg rep I may feel inclined to find out what I did wrong. In your case this does not apply.

You sir are a prick. The link was posted for humour value alone. It was not an opinion, a statement nor a judgement on arabs. It was comedy. Whether you find it funny or not is up to you, I dont really care. It doesnt make me racist just because you say it does.

And you cared so little that you simply had to leave me this little message; sometimes, i wonder why it is that being shit on the internet is the only escape your life offers. Phang

It looks like I have no effect on you whatsoever. So you have no respect for me, who cares, I dont. I dont come here to earn your respect.

And the only escape i really need of from small men with small minds. You prove I do not get that here.

Phang 20 Jul 2005 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
Are Arabs a race?

by most definitions of the term i would have thought so...

Yahwe 20 Jul 2005 19:31

crashtester crying about neg rep.

shocking.

CrashTester 20 Jul 2005 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiddy

How about...

A large, yet still a minority class, population of the country are from or descend from an arabic speaking country.

London is the capital city.

Morpeth County Hospital has arabic signs for it's departments, and that's stuck in a tiny town fifteen mile north of Newcastle.

The London Underground, many would say the only sane way to travel around London due to the city's size and density, attracts millions of travellers per year.

Out of that, lets say, one million, I'd imagine at least 15% would be of an arabic speaking background. Putting an arabic translation is hardly handing terrorists an invitation to bomb the place.

I'd assume in an older version of the website, they'd have had
aonad diúscartha buamaí printed somewhere so the IRA knew the location of the Bomb Disposal Unit...

Very good. Now shut up.

dda 20 Jul 2005 19:41

Aren't Arabs a Semitic people? Wouldn't the proper complaint be that he was somehow being anti-Semitic?

midge5 20 Jul 2005 19:46

There is no Welsh version :( I'm gonna complain that they haven't spent a load of money translating it for the half a dozen people can speak Welsh.

Duncan 20 Jul 2005 20:34

You're only aloud to insult or poke fun at certain groups of people on this board without being called predjudiced or a racist ****. Others are out of bounds.

Nodrog 20 Jul 2005 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
Aren't Arabs a Semitic people? Wouldn't the proper complaint be that he was somehow being anti-Semitic?

Anti-Semitic means 'anti jew' - there's only so much you can do with etymology.

dda 20 Jul 2005 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodrog
Anti-Semitic means 'anti jew' - there's only so much you can do with etymology.

Arabs are semites just as Jews are. It has always struck me as strange that anti-semitic only applies to one portion of the group.

At any rate the original post on this thread may not have been politically correct but if this is as "racist" as things ever get on GD we are doing pretty well. It also points out how welcoming the British are to non-English speakers, a commendable thing.

At any rate, the people around my office have enjoyed the map.

ceres 20 Jul 2005 22:17

Phang is such a tart. Relax.
________
Volcano Vaporizer

KraKto$is8 21 Jul 2005 02:38

It's really not funny. With bombings, or without bombings, it's not funny.
The languages are in alphabetical order (except spanish, for no particular reason).

Cooling 21 Jul 2005 02:50

GFH? What alphabet are you using?