Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gifts for Wimmins (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=191015)

Tomkat 24 May 2006 16:27

Gifts for Wimmins

I've mentioned this "girl I'm kind of seeing" a couple of times.

She's still at uni (finishes in about... a week - forever etc) and we've only been on one "proper" date together - the other two being dates in hospital. Ace!

Anyway, her dissertation deadline is this Friday.

She's been really supportive and things throughout the whole of my cancery crap (especially considering we were only getting together right before the cancer - it's not like she's my girlfriend or even a friend).

She's been really stressed lately about the whole essays/dissertation thing, and me having this disease can't have helped.

By the way all the paragraphs above me only exist so that less people go "lol fag" when I present you with the main topic of this thread:

I want to get her some kind of gift, to say thanks, and also to say well done on finishing the dissertation.

As I know her quite well, but not that well (for instance, I wouldn't know what she'd choose in a restaurant, or what her favourite wine is, or anything like that), I'm not sure what to get her.

At the moment I've narrowed it down to:

-Chocolates (probably from Thorntons or somewhere - bonus is that I can order them online etc).

-Flowers (again, I can order them online - but I'm not sure flowers are such a great present. maybe it's because i'm male, but i don't see the point of them - and i don't know how much of a girly-girl she is)

-Alcohol (probably the "best" gift (shes a student etc), although I'd have to go out and buy it - but then that'd be seen as making-the-effort as I'd also buy a card as well - my main question here is "Can you send alcohol (or even liquids/glass for that matter) by post?")

So any advice on those (and an answer to my "alcohol by post" question), or alternatives would be greatly appreciated! I'm aiming to get this to her by Friday/Saturday so I need an answer by the end of today really.

vampy 24 May 2006 16:38

Re: Gifts for Wimmins

you can send booze through the post, though of course its normally heavy so would cost a fair bit to send. You can probably order it online too as a gift from various places....I know I've had champagne sent me through the post before. Though just random booze i think is a bit crap, it'd have to be something 'special'

Even though IRC boys think they are lame, i love getting flowers....part of the whole thing about it is that they are kinda decadent and pointless, but they look so pretty, and it makes you feel like someone cares about you.

and of course chocolate is always a winner (so long as you're sure she's not one of those silly girls who are skinny but obsessed with their diet anyway).

I'm sure I've seen some places online that let you send chocolate AND flowers together.

In short, pretty much anything you send would be cool, as I'm sure she'd be happy to know you were thinking of her.

pig 24 May 2006 16:43

I would get flowers I think, I dont know why but I like giving people flowers. The original suprise and enjoyment of flowers is great as well. Not as if she is going to be drinking and going "OH TOMKAT" or eating the chocolate and saying "I WISH TOMKAT WAS DARK CHOCOLATE TOO". Anyway flowers options if I was you.

On the alcohol thing theres plenty of places that do it, a site like virgin sells and delivers wine. This site seems to be what you are looking for alcohol wise.

By the way if you get flowers make sure they are big and colourful, not roses or anything boring.

Alki 24 May 2006 16:45

flowers are shit, theyt really are pointless and i hate sending them other than mothers day<3, Alkihol seems pretty decent as long as its decent stuff like vampy said

pig 24 May 2006 16:50

They arent pointless, women in my experience prefer flowers. Depends on the girl obviously but if you got a big bunch of flowers or a small box of chocolates the original suprise of flowers would rock. Its that original suprise that sticks in the mind, not the eating chocholates 2 months later and going oh they are tasty.

Dace 24 May 2006 16:54

By some red ribbon, tie it as a bow round my neck, then send me round to her place.

I'LL BE THE BEST GOD DAMN PRESENT SHE'S EVER HAD!

I've got moves of a sexual nature* like you wouldn't believe after all.

Dace 24 May 2006 16:56

* and i'm not just talking about my ability to jump from the shadows with a chloroform rag and drag a girl back to my lair

pablissimo 24 May 2006 17:10

Chocolates and a nicely-presented bottle of not-the-cheapest-you-can-find Champagne I guess.

I don't 'do' presents very well.

furball 24 May 2006 18:00

A giant teddy bear.

*lol fag*

But it works. You can get little t-shirts for them with loving messages on, etc.

*lol fag*

Tomkat 24 May 2006 18:34

Not a teddybear as it isnt' a lover's gift or anything, it's a "well done" gift.

I know girls prefer flowers but I don't know her well enough to know which she'd prefer. And I can't ask her as then it ruins the surprise :P

I might go with flowers. Hmm.

pig 24 May 2006 18:36

go to a florists and ask them, thats what I always do. Choose the biggest and brightest shit u can find, preferably cheap as well but what can you do ;/

acropolis 24 May 2006 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
I know girls prefer flowers but I don't know her well enough to know which she'd prefer. And I can't ask her as then it ruins the surprise :P

I might go with flowers. Hmm.

are you saying you don't know what kind of flowers she likes?

can't go wrong with roses.

NEWSBOT3 24 May 2006 18:37

carnations/ask woman in flower shop

Snurx 24 May 2006 18:54

Handbags have never ever failed me. And if you are like me and cant pick it out, either ask the staff at the shops (but remeber they always recomend the expensive ones), your best friend that is a girl (lol girlfriend lol) or just go for something pretty. Maybe all girls i date are shallow, but they've all liked bags.

Flowers work, as does candy in most cases (you will most probably have noticed if she is one of those crazy health types). Booze im not so certain off, I've only given it once but then again, that was more a joke.

Tomkat 24 May 2006 18:57

I'm just thinking that if it's a "well done" gift she's more likely to be celebrating, which was why I thought of booze.

Flowers just seem a bit too romantic - this gift isn't supposed to be romantic. Well it kind of is, and yet I don't want it to LOOK romantic. That again is why I thought of alcohol.

A bag is also too much of a boyfriend-girlfriend thing to buy.

Cannon_Fodder 24 May 2006 19:03

Chocolate or alcohol, whichever you see on special offer first.

dda 24 May 2006 19:06

What about music? Have you discussed music with her?

Champagne glasses along with a little note saying "To toast your success. Well done!" Or some such. Cheaper to mail but conveys the same sentiment.

Dace's idea is good too. However, he must sing a message and strip or the whole thing is a little sordid.

Tomkat 24 May 2006 19:13

This thread makes me realise how little I know about her interests and things :(

I hope we haven't got one of those relationships going where everything is peachy and fine under crises but goes in the pan when things become mundane again :(

lokken 24 May 2006 20:15

Alcohol seems to be the best choice as it is the end of her exams/dissertation.

An awesome bottle of wine or a bottle of champoo if you are willing to break the bank.

You could try finding a local off licence to her that will take orders over the phone and deliver it gift wrapped :(

Kurashima 24 May 2006 20:24

Heres an idea for you Tom. Im planning on doing this one for the Girlfriend when she finishes her college course.

Take a picture of her. Then take a picture of the University where she is studying. Now with both, go to a local art store (theres always a few in each town/city) and ask them to draw you a caricature of her. Ask them to mock it up with her in a graduation gown, mortar , etc etc , holding a diploma and with a massive, oversized cheesy grin, in front of the university building.

Unless youre very unlucky, you should be able to find a local artist thatll do this for about £50. And its both personal, friendly and can be taken whatever way she chooses.

roadrunner_0 24 May 2006 20:24

you can actually order alcohol from places like john lewis inline, its not cheap though so depends how much you want to spend

Tomkat 24 May 2006 21:56

Done!

Ordered this for her.

midge5 24 May 2006 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablissimo
Chocolates and a nicely-presented bottle of not-the-cheapest-you-can-find Champagne I guess.

I don't 'do' presents very well.

I would go with this idea.

*edit* Oh well guess I am too late

Yahwe 24 May 2006 22:01

Quote:

Done!

Ordered this for her.

i think that was unwise.

for £20 you could have bought flowers or chocolates, instead you have attempted to buy both but achieved neither.

they say it is the thought that counts. but if that were true then I would be happy with the thought of you having a life-threatening illness, whereas i would much prefer the reality of you dying.

Tomkat 24 May 2006 22:07

Yahwe I'm going to choose dates for the GD Meet that have everyone you HATE and noone you LIKE.

Just to spite you!

acropolis 24 May 2006 22:07

Quote:

Done!

Ordered this for her.

that's a naughty flower

Yahwe 24 May 2006 22:09

Quote:

Yahwe I'm going to choose dates for the GD Meet that have everyone you HATE and noone you LIKE.

Just to spite you!

I hope you have a lovely evening.

;)

Dace 24 May 2006 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dda
Dace's idea is good too. However, he must sing a message and strip or the whole thing is a little sordid.

OBVIOUSLY i would sing and strip*. I thought that was a given.

*i'm thinking Jackass's Party Boy dancing in the stereo shop stylee

Yahwe 24 May 2006 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dace
OBVIOUSLY i would sing and strip*. I thought that was a given.

*i'm thinking Jackass's Party Boy dancing in the stereo shop stylee

**i'm imagining you naked and that's not good for my weak stomach

dda 24 May 2006 22:48

Since TK has ordered what he has ordered. Will you still be willing to deliver it and strip?

Nadar 24 May 2006 22:55

You should have bought chocolates that was formed as flowers with alcohol inside. 3 flies in one smack.

Dace 24 May 2006 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahwe
**i'm imagining you naked and that's not good for my weak stomach

you're so excited you've got butterflies i suspect

JammyJim 24 May 2006 23:06

i bought an ex gf a single rose once and had it sent to her whilst i was in the states.

apparently she swooned a great deal when she recieved it and ran around telling everyone id sent it (great :/ )

however at the time she was also quite probably pissing about with an ex bf whilst i was 5000 miles away..... so in retrospect.....i shouldve poisioned it or told the florist to piss on it or something before it was sent. meh...

i wouldve bought a bottle of champagne and had it delivered to her.. "congratulations on finishing your exams. have a toast to your success' or someshit like that. or maybe 'Id explode in the same way if you pulled on my cork'

or "Whenever i think of you it reminds me of this because i too shoot liquid at high velocity"

you get the picture.

AND
its not like your spending much money sitting in hospital and shit and its a nice sentiment.

Blastoderm 24 May 2006 23:41

A girl at my workplace got a chocolate in the shape of a penis.

True story.

Chunderbunny 25 May 2006 02:02

I bought a girlfriend this book once for valentines day once. It was my first girlfriend, and she wasn't the most... normal of individuals I've met. She had quite a morbid sense of humour. Anyway, I was blissfully happy thinking about chocolates and roses or whatnot, and she brings up the question one night when we were lounging around my flat of valentines presents. She says she doesn't want to end up doing what everyone else does and buying the same old tripe, and she hoped to get something more unusual. I think she then when on to make some dead baby jokes, or something typical of her humour...

So I bought her the book on Bunny Suicides. She took to it badly and refused to turn up for the candlelit dinner I had planned. Things had been 'on and off' before this one time a few months earlier, but after this, it was more off than on. Turns out, she just wanted flowers and chocs in the end anyway (she told a friend)

My personal conclusion? Stick with the classics (unless you want rid of them).

Rids 1 Jun 2006 23:58

Ok, I've decided to resurrect this thread, as I'm attempting to order my other half some roses.

Did roses suddenly become worth their ****ing weight in gold? A dozen white roses, £45. Are you having a ****ing bubble? £15 no problem, £45 go **** yourself.

Its not like I want them delivered, I'm more than capable of handing over a bunch of roses myself, its not as if you need a ****ing degree in engineering and 3 years of on the job training to hand somebody a bunch of ****ing roses. I think I'll even be capable of putting them into a ****ing vase too if I put in some real effort.

Blastoderm 2 Jun 2006 00:04

Dude.

That's a ****ing rip-off!

I can get a dozen of white roses for £25.

Or I can take some off a local garden for free.

KoeN 2 Jun 2006 14:22

last week my gf (and her twinsister) celebrated her birthday. i bought her a birthdaycard with a roaring lion on it. inside i put a ticket for the lion king musical (29 euros, where they used to cost about 80). we're going july 8. :cool:
she was very happy with it. and i think i made a good impression on her sisters and mum. i had a better present than her sisters bf bought for her sister (some weird cookingtool) so :up:.

oh and i bought her a huge chocolatebar that costed 77 cents (i'm not sure why i still remember this).

Nodrog 2 Jun 2006 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Dude.

That's a ****ing rip-off!

I can get a dozen of white roses for £25.

Yeah thats a far more reasonable price for some shitty flowers :what:

pyirt 2 Jun 2006 15:39

http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCat...&RestartFlow=t

And other flowers cheaper, with free delivery.

-Blue Moon- 3 Jun 2006 09:48

how about a little 'basket of goodies'?
Like, a couple of tied up flowers, something nice smelling like scented candles (?), a bottle of Amaretto and a carton of OJ. The best part about this gift idea is you can add in completely random things that you know will remind her of something you've done... for example I once gave a girl a cuddly-giraffe we kept passing in the street and even tho it was only about a fiver I think it meant more to her than anyhting else (because it actually meant something).
It sounds random but it might work nicely, because there's bound to be something she'll really appreciate in there. Plus you can make it as soppy/congratultory/whatever as you'd like ;)
tux

vampire_lestat 5 Jun 2006 19:37

If you think she can take care of them, buy live flowers, the downside of this is the 'not being able to get it online' (I mean, when you think about it, its a bit mean giving someone the dead appendages of a once-beutiful thing). Best off buying booze from tescos online and having it delivered to her.

Jennifer 6 Jun 2006 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
carnations

Carnations are the last thing I'd want to see after my exams. Especially if they're white. *shudder*

But then I'd also hate to get booze.

What the hell, have a ball.

(For God's sake, no stupid fluffy bears. Alcohol is surely best if you're there to share it?)

Jennifer 6 Jun 2006 20:44

On a more practical note for any one thinking of buying post exam gifts - remember she's just spend the last X months shut in a library, get her something FUN.

The first thing I did after finishing my exams (apart from parade round town and picnic in the parks) was sit down in front of 6 hours of Pride and Prejudice.

The_Tyrant 6 Jun 2006 20:57

so are we decided on the heroin then? that or a picnic in the park.