Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Explanation of tonight (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197860)

zPeti 24 May 2009 10:41

Explanation of tonight

After a really really bad nights sleep, our servers are back up.

I phoned Fubra at 2am when I noticed that servers were down. This morning I got this explanation from them.

------------------
Dear All

We've had some problems this morning involving a failure of the chiller system at the Manor data centre. The fault has been isolated to a pump malfunction on one of three chiller units causing depressurisation of the system and loss of coolant. Unfortunately before the fault could be rectified we had an increase of temperature that caused our core switches to shut themselves down.

The faulty chiller has been isolated and the system repressurised and is now performing normally. We have enough chiller capacity in place to run without the faulty unit and expect no further problems withe the cooling system.

These switches have now been fixed and are running normally.

If you have colocation with us then please check over your equipment at the earliest convenient time and get back to me on my mobile if any assistance is required from our end.

If you have container/edge hosting with us, then please bear with us a little while longer whilst we run integrity checks on storage. We hope to get everything back online within the next couple of hours. Again, if you have any queries then please get back to me on the numbers below.

Please accept my apologies for the problems experienced this morning and be assured we are doing everything we can to restore services as quickly as possible.

Kind Regards,

Mark Sutton
Fubra Limited

------------------------

I am really sorry everyone, I was really hoping we would make it through this round without any problems.

PATeam will inform you shortly about where we will go from here.

I am very very sorry.
Pete

lokken 24 May 2009 10:44

Re: Explanation of tonight

To be fair you gave an explanation and an apology which keeps me happy so I'm not too fussed by it.

Plus I was out late last night.

And I have stuff to do today.

So I'm not too unhappy about it.

But thanks!

Light 24 May 2009 10:53

Yeah, not that bothered about last nights downtime.

Lunar_Lamp was online, who gave updates in #planetarion and kept the topic updated. Then we got told that if it wasnt back up within the tick.. it wouldnt tick for 24hours (due to downtime procedure). So all was fine, as we didnt go 40mins-2hours of not knowing what was going on. It was a simple, "if its not up within 20minutes, go to bed".

Then there's you making an apology and explaining the full situation (without being provoked). So meh, its how downtime should be handled :p

Benneh 24 May 2009 12:04

My round is complete. I was getting worried we hadnt had one to be fair :D

but yeah it was handled pretty well so good stuff!

Membrivio 24 May 2009 12:29

The fact I was surprised you started this thread says enough.
I am pleasantly surprised by this! Well communicated. And ya, shit happens. Let's hope for not another downtime :-)

JonnyBGood 24 May 2009 12:43

This post/explanation/communication gets the official Ascendancy seal of approval :up:

Kargool 24 May 2009 13:04

Well, i was gonna whine about PA being down the one night i was bothered not to prelaunch, but then I saw this message and started to weep openly.

Thanks for the update zPeti!

_Kila_ 24 May 2009 13:15

I'm going to echo what everyone else has said but it's been handled well, and the new downtime procedure seems to keep everyone (except random idiots who join #planetarion demanding for the game to be brought back up at a time convenient for them) happy

Linkie 24 May 2009 13:38

But what about the people that don't use irc/forums? They have no info and the game is still down, even though you say the servers are running normally again?

By all means, i appreciate the good updates on irc/forums! But you've been saying you want to help new players, and the new players probably aren't reading this or the topic in #planetarion on irc.

Mzyxptlk 24 May 2009 13:44

The portal is indeed suspiciously devoid of information.

Light 24 May 2009 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linkie (Post 3175186)
By all means, i appreciate the good updates on irc/forums! But you've been saying you want to help new players, and the new players probably aren't reading this or the topic in #planetarion on irc.

Yeah thinking about it, there was no updates on the portal or login screen :(

Same for the speed-game which is no longer ticking.

HellKicker 24 May 2009 14:37

Oh man i got so wasted last night, perfect timing!

GReaper 25 May 2009 02:51

Didn't check the game at all last night, however when I tried to login early in the afternoon the site obviously wasn't accessible. It's obvious to experienced players to check IRC - but this shouldn't be the case.

DNS was dead, so I couldn't see the portal (or game) to see any announcements. Any chance of perhaps sorting your DNS so it doesn't die so easily? Also a super cheap server (virtual server?) which serves static content to say "we're down, sorry!" which you can switch to if problems occur.

Failures do happen (regularly it seems :(), would be nice if there was a bit more of a backup plan to inform players of any problems instead of relying on everyone to join an IRC channel to get any updates.

Jonas 25 May 2009 03:13

Oi! I never seen this much positive feedback after a downperiod in PA ever! props from me too. I got to develop awsome paint skills instead of DCing!

-Jonas-

Jonas 25 May 2009 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellKicker (Post 3175192)
Oh man i got so wasted last night, perfect timing!

Thought you quit? ;p

gzambo 25 May 2009 07:43

immpeccable timing , 1st lie in i have all round and the game goes down . thanks for letting people know what the problem was the new downtime procedure worked nicely , noone on the forums giving out bout fleet recalls was an added bonus

MrLobster 25 May 2009 07:47

its just a better time of day for the servers to go down.

Machado 25 May 2009 07:53

I had a nice day of sleep :o

[DW]Entropy 25 May 2009 13:21

Servers down or a gift to PA community on a bank holiday? its all good

Veedeejem! 25 May 2009 17:10

I was at a wedding saturday and had loads of sleep on sunday!
THANK YOU DOWNTIME :D