Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Irony in Advertising (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197349)

dda 16 Jan 2009 01:17

Irony in Advertising

I noted, with a certain amount of amusement, the banner advertisement currently displaying at the top of my "Forums". The banner reads, "Meet Christian Singles in Your City."

While there are some Christians numbered among those on GD, it still makes me wonder who thought that this would be a good place to put such an ad?
GD seems to have been a rather hostile environment for anyone espousing Christian beliefs, so why would someone thing this ad would be cost effective?

However, I did note that the young woman in pictured in the ad was attractive and busty, wearing a form fitting top. So, it could generate some interest I suppose.

G.K Zhukov 16 Jan 2009 01:23

Re: Irony in Advertising

Im afraid it's quite simple.

It understood that your reply in Gate's thread about the expansion of Heathrow was fairly similiar to the views that the christian right in the american midwest belive in.

So it naturally concluded that you were a born-again zealot from Kansas.

This must be hailed as a good example of how far computer analysis have developed.

dda 16 Jan 2009 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov (Post 3163139)
Im afraid it's quite simple.

It understood that your reply in Gate's thread about the expansion of Heathrow was fairly similiar to the views that the christian right in the american midwest belive in.

So it naturally concluded that you were a born-again zealot from Kansas.

This must be hailed as a good example of how far computer analysis have developed.

If I were a right wing Christian, I would not have been able to admit to there having been an ice age or that the world existed more than 6,000 years ago.

This is not to say that I don't believe that Communists are devil's spawn!

Marilyn Manson 16 Jan 2009 12:33

I got an ad for 'Gay Singles.'

These banners are very intuitive. They know things. Lots of ju-ju in them.

Tomkat 16 Jan 2009 14:36

mine just advertise crappy games on the internet. i want some of these hot christian singles!

Mzyxptlk 16 Jan 2009 14:45

Adblock saves me.

MrL_JaKiri 19 Jan 2009 17:01

They tend to have adverts based on your browsing history.

It's political correctness gone mad.

Deepflow 19 Jan 2009 23:53

Wait...

Who exactly has access to my browsing history? :o

Tomkat 20 Jan 2009 22:28

i think (???) that jakiri is lying/joking as a quick peruse through my browsing history wouldnt suggest i'd be interested in the kind of crappy browser based games that it keeps telling me about :(

Achilles 20 Jan 2009 23:29

A lot of it is Google AdS which tailors itself to your browsing history*, geographical location and content of the website. As well as other voodoo stuff.

*as observed by Google through your use of it's and affiliate services or sites, not the record kept on your machine

JonnyBGood 20 Jan 2009 23:47

For a while there I saw ads about gay military dating.

This raises serious questions over my browsing history and/or sexuality :(

dda 21 Jan 2009 01:54

Don't ask. Don't tell. Don't browse.