Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Timeouts (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=199095)

ricoshay 19 Nov 2010 21:12

Timeouts

Can the god damn game be fixed already?!

I mean, i know we are not important since we are only the paying player database and not multihunters... But hell!

Raging.Retard 19 Nov 2010 21:21

Re: Timeouts

You are certainly not important enough.

gzambo 19 Nov 2010 23:09

what certainly would be nice would be if the pa team worried more about fixing the timeouts that forums avatars

Appocomaster 19 Nov 2010 23:10

seriously, the admins are finding it harder to kick the ass* of all the attackers hitting 1:1 too. We're as upset and frustrated as you are.

The server admin that is investigating this has been hassled constantly for the last two weeks and it's been escalated to the head of operations for Jagex.
The admin has investigated the issue himself and narrowed it down to the firewall. he's made adjustments over the past week or more which didn't seem to resolve the problem, and he's engaged the firewall support group to try and help resolve the issue. He's made changes based on their advice over the last few days, and again they don't seem to have helped. He's continuing to investigate.

Unfortunately, war of legends (co-hosted at the same data centre) has a new release yesterday and their increased bandwidth seems to be impacting us more.

We are trying :(

*this fact is impressive considering over half of us are cath.

gzambo 20 Nov 2010 00:18

so to summarise its broke they dont know how to fix it or when it will be fixed but the game will keep ticking

now given that it can take anywhere up to 20 mins to actually open a page in the game , if someone loses fleet or roids because of this will they be compensated

Mzyxptlk 20 Nov 2010 00:24

It took me 5 minutes to get to this thread. Irony, I guess!

[DDK]gm 20 Nov 2010 00:34

how long will this crap go on for, will we see some sort of compensation for this??

from what i have seen they don't seem to be taking PA very seriously

Mzyxptlk 20 Nov 2010 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA
We will look to extend the round to compensate for the downtime.

t3k 20 Nov 2010 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk (Post 3201904)
quote from PA

Hahahaha, you mugs are gonna have to put up with this crap round for even longer <3

nolezy 20 Nov 2010 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3201900)
Unfortunately, war of legends (co-hosted at the same data centre) has a new release yesterday and their increased bandwidth seems to be impacting us more.

Let's just shut down War of Legends then. Me, newt, alki and Wishmaster gave War of Legends a try and lasted a matter of hours. War of Legends is shit. Planetarion is much better. Down with WoL!

Wishmaster 20 Nov 2010 04:17

hehe. it was actually rather shit wasnt it?! I dunno, did we really give it a proper go? :)

HeimdallR 20 Nov 2010 06:26

lets just hope this downtime will be worth it :p
meaning it will get fixed for good

Cochese 20 Nov 2010 06:31

Even nullsec fleet battles in "that internet spaceship game" aren't as bad as this.

Judge 20 Nov 2010 06:53

Quote:

Connectivity Issues
Posted at 23:57 GMT on Friday 19th November 2010

By Appocomaster.

Unfortunately, we've been experiencing connectivity issues in our new location. Jagex have been investigating these issues closely for the last couple of weeks, and after trying other options have finally decided the only way forward is to restructure/replace the entire firewall. This will be done at the beginning of next week.

To ensure that players are not affected by connectivity before the firewall changes, the game has been closed and ticks have been stopped. No fleet recalls are currently planned. The game will resume on Monday evening at the earliest.

So, relax, go outside, have a weekend off, or sign up and play on the speedgame (which will still be running its 2 day cycles).

Apologies for any problems caused; we'll post with more information closer to the restart.

PA Team

Whilst this announcement and the "others" at various locations provide the required information about the game, I would suggest a Link to the "aforementioned speedgame" should at least be available in one of the announcements, or perhaps the menu item to "Current Games" should include the Link to the speed game?

Cochese 20 Nov 2010 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge (Post 3201914)
Whilst this announcement and the "others" at various locations provide the required information about the game, I would suggest a Link to the "aforementioned speedgame" should at least be available in one of the announcements, or perhaps the menu item to "Current Games" should include the Link to the speed game?

:up:

Going to have to agree with this.

Appocomaster 20 Nov 2010 12:45

battling to add it to the list of current games, but it's now on the portal link.

Judge 20 Nov 2010 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochese (Post 3201915)
:up:

Going to have to agree with this.

That must have been a hard decision ?

:banana:

Mzyxptlk 21 Nov 2010 19:47

It's pretty great. These last 2 days are the best I've had all round.

Makhil 22 Nov 2010 09:23

so the first significant action since Jagex bought the game will have been a 5 day closure... the biggest ever in the 39 erratic rounds of PA history.
What's next ?

Appocomaster 22 Nov 2010 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makhil (Post 3201975)
so the first significant action since Jagex bought the game will have been a 5 day closure... the biggest ever in the 39 erratic rounds of PA history.
What's next ?

Technically, the first significant act they did was to spend thousands of pounds on new servers, far surpassing any servers Planetarion has had before (certainly post R9), and ship them to the new data centre.
This data centre has been found to have an interesting firewall bug, which the vendor themselves aren't sure how to fix, and the cyclical nature of the issue makes it hard to immediately test fixes. They have one major change left before they'll consider buying another firewall.

Considering Planetarion probably makes about 0.01% of their income, the amount of attention they're spending on it is pretty large. It does suck to have such a large downtime (of four days, if you count :)) but consider it a power nap before the end of the round :)

Makhil 22 Nov 2010 11:05

ah, it's a new feature... :p
Btw they were probably not after a 0,01% of increased income, so when will we have a timetable or any communication about the coming improvement(s) to PA ?

ricoshay 22 Nov 2010 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3201976)
but consider it a power nap before the end of the round :)

Do us a favour and put this round out of its misery. :-/

Judge 22 Nov 2010 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster
This data centre has been found to have an interesting firewall bug, which the vendor themselves aren't sure how to fix
Does not exactly inspire confidence in the product when the manufacturer has no idea how to fix it?

rUl3r 22 Nov 2010 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge (Post 3201979)
Does not exactly inspire confidence in the product when the manufacturer has no idea how to fix it?

Please note they already consider buying a new firewall.
Despite all the hassle we´ve had I´m fairly pleased with how Jagex deals with the situation. The information flow seems better than anything I´ve experienced since Spinner sold PA, and I feel like I´m being treated as a valued customer for once in my PA life :p

Paisley 23 Nov 2010 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolezy (Post 3201907)
Let's just shut down War of Legends then. Me, newt, alki and Wishmaster gave War of Legends a try and lasted a matter of hours. War of Legends is shit. Planetarion is much better. Down with WoL!

After playing war of legends for a few weeks... WoL isn't as near as fun as PA.
WoL could be quite "money grabbing" if you wanted to buy your way ahead.
makes me kinda grateful how much the credit price is for PA

Judge 23 Nov 2010 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rUl3r (Post 3201980)
Please note they already consider buying a new firewall.
Despite all the hassle we´ve had I´m fairly pleased with how Jagex deals with the situation. The information flow seems better than anything I´ve experienced since Spinner sold PA, and I feel like I´m being treated as a valued customer for once in my PA life :p

My criticism was of the product "the firewall" not of Jagex, anyone can buy a dog of a product.

HeimdallR 23 Nov 2010 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paisley (Post 3201998)
After playing war of legends for a few weeks... WoL isn't as near as fun as PA.
WoL could be quite "money grabbing" if you wanted to buy your way ahead.
makes me kinda grateful how much the credit price is for PA

that is what put me off about WoL after just playing it for one day

Mistwraith 23 Nov 2010 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge
My criticism was of the product "the firewall" not of Jagex, anyone can buy a dog of a product.

yup - after all judge drives a Rover !

Wishmaster 24 Nov 2010 01:34

Apologies for the problems caused. The round will now end at 20:00 GMT on Friday, 10th December to compensate for this.
PA Team

Instead of making the round last longer to compensate, cant you just make it shorter? Would make me forget all about the issues atleast.

ty!

Mzyxptlk 24 Nov 2010 01:46

On the bright side, I haven't had any issues accessing the forums in the last 8 hours or so.

Makhil 24 Nov 2010 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appocomaster (Post 3201976)
TIt does suck to have such a large downtime (of four days, if you count :)) but consider it a power nap before the end of the round :)

5 days now :) always add 1 day to a PA deadline, that's a never failing rule.

t3k 24 Nov 2010 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makhil (Post 3202026)
5 days now :) always add 1 day to a PA deadline, that's a never failing rule.

Speaking of 'failing rules', are Jagex actually listening to anybody who are crying out not to have the round extended?

Wishmaster 24 Nov 2010 15:16

tbh, it doesnt matter much... wont start a new round till after christmas anyway.
Let those who wanna play, play.