Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   broadband (again) (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=182644)

roadrunner_0 8 Jan 2005 15:30

broadband (again)

im going to need to set up broadband at my new house, anyone any reccomendations?

at the old house we are with nildram, but i really dont want to have to pay a £60 set up fee *again* unless i have to, so anyone any ideas?

Tomkat 8 Jan 2005 15:37

Re: broadband (again)

Would you have to pay the set up fee again? As you're already with them, can you not just give them your new number and address and they do it for free?

I don't know much about it, but I'd have thought they'd rather keep existing customers, than make you pay the set-up fee again.

roadrunner_0 8 Jan 2005 15:43

well, im moving out from a house im sharing with friends and in with my fiancee, so the old connection will still be active, so im fairly sure that i will have to pay the setup fee :(

MrL_JaKiri 8 Jan 2005 15:47

I'd still go with Nildram. Most of the ones which reduce the inital costs have other problems, most notably a download cap.

JC 8 Jan 2005 15:50

I like NTL seeing as they are cheap, have never given me any problems on 4 different connections, dont have a particularly bad customer service in my experience and are pretty stable.

300k - £18
700k - £25
1.5mb - £38

At the moment you get the first 3 months at half price. When i last joined up i got 2 months free on any speed i wanted but that offer seems to have ended. Installation is free. Also, i think those speeds are all being upgraded within the next 2 months or so - 300k to 1mb, 700k to 2mb and 1.5mb to 3mb iirc. I've never had any problems with any supposed download limit either.

JammyJim 8 Jan 2005 15:51

blueyonder if you can get it is brilliant tbh.

and cheap.

and keeps entering into price wars with its competitors.
hurray for capitalism.

MrL_JaKiri 8 Jan 2005 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
I've never had any problems with any supposed download limit either.

From what I know, that depends on the individual area. Some areas don't care, other ones crash down on people who go over.

JC 8 Jan 2005 15:55

I've lived in 3 different areas of Nottingham and my home in Blackburn. I've gone way over the limit in all of these places. I have lots of friends who use NTL, all of whom download as much if not more than me, none of them have had any problems.

JammyJim 8 Jan 2005 16:03

i have no capping.....

Blueyonder prices are as follows :

4mb : £50 pm
2mb : £35 pm
1mb : £25 pm
256kb : £17.99 pm

meaningi ts also considerably cheaper than NTL

and its better in everything AHAHA

MrL_JaKiri 8 Jan 2005 16:07

I thought that NTL and Blueyonder had mutually exclusive availabilities. This may have changed, though.

roadrunner_0 8 Jan 2005 16:11

i cant get cable

JC 8 Jan 2005 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JammyJim
1mb : £25 pm
256kb : £17.99 pm

meaningi ts also considerably cheaper than NTL

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
300k - £18
700k - £25

Not much in those really and considering 300k is going to become 1mb and 700k is going to become 2mb for the exact same price NTL isnt that bad a deal until Blueyonder upgrade or go cheaper.

roadrunner_0 8 Jan 2005 16:38

what do people think of pipex?
its definately looking the best option that i have found so far

MrL_JaKiri 8 Jan 2005 16:43

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare

roadrunner_0 8 Jan 2005 16:50

cheers

meglamaniac 8 Jan 2005 16:55

Although I know you said you can't get cable, I'll just point this out for others in the thread:
Sometime feb/march time NTL are changing their speeds as follows:
300k -> 1Mb
700k -> 2Mb
1Mb -> 3Mb.
Price per month will stay the same. New customers will get these speeds out of the box, existing customers will need to phone up and pay a £25 upgrade fee which is a bit of a ripoff but I'll still be doing it, as 1Mb for £18/month is fine by me.

Marilyn Manson 8 Jan 2005 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
im going to need to set up broadband at my new house, anyone any reccomendations?

It's usually a god bet that wiring and electrical equipment will come into play in these kinds of circumstances. Don't attempt to actually force your body into the phone lines in an attempt to 'connect' as this may cause injury and possible embarasment.

Madina 8 Jan 2005 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
what do people think of pipex?
its definately looking the best option that i have found so far

I use pipex and imho its brilliant. I have a 1mb line and i always get speeds of 120-122 and an upload of 32. I have no idea what the customer service is like as i have never rung it. The connection has also never dropped (that i know of!). Also there is no cap which is very important :)

mist 8 Jan 2005 19:59

www.cpbb.co.uk

no usage cap, no port filtering, static ip. £19 a month inc vat.

they don't do a news server and only give one e-mail address. biggest drawback, imo, is that they give you a german ip (parent company is german) - however i've not noticed this to actually be a problem.

Starbucks 8 Jan 2005 20:00

With the new speeds NTL will be putting in a cap, and the cap WILL be enforced (in some way)

Veil05 8 Jan 2005 23:16

JC - im with NTL, ive had no problems with mine either (middlesbrough)

Ebany 9 Jan 2005 00:52

Just as an aside wrt your old nildram account, if you transfer it then you only get a 14.99 installation charge rather than the full fee, cause thats what we did (and my account had been kinda suspended for 4 months with them not getting any payments - due to their **** up - as we didnt have a house to have a connection to). Assuming that you get the same treatment as us.

Starbucks 9 Jan 2005 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veil05

nice to know when people are happy :)

What do you think of the re-designed help site?

mist 9 Jan 2005 04:14

the boro signups server was down for ages at the start of this university year *grumbles* other than that, not seen any troubles.

midge5 9 Jan 2005 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veil05

Same for Cardiff, in nearly 2 years I haven't had a single problem.

Quote:

What do you think of the re-designed help site?
Never used it.

Dante Hicks 9 Jan 2005 15:57

I had Pipex for a year Roadrunner - didn't have a single problem with them.

As for the Cable companies, as Mark said they are not really in competition with each other (at least, not fr end use customers). I work for Telewest tech support in an evening job and they don't care about how much individual users download. It's difficult for them to even monitor, but the only time they care is when there is high utilisation in a particular area. Generally they deal with that via load balancing though.

roadrunner_0 10 Jan 2005 19:04

again, cheers all! major help :)