Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Suggestions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Fleet Analysis and XAN (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=177118)

waffle 4 May 2004 04:33

Fleet Analysis and XAN

Why is it that the people that take the time to research fleet analysis and the resources(I have 130 odd structures, you know how much money that is for 1 construciton? - Quite a bit) do not have the ability to scan their incomming XAN attackers?

You could say "But you could have been XAN this round and complained that people could fleet scan you"

Here are some arguments:

- Granted I don't HAVE to research fleet analysis, it is a good thing to have imo. But it also takes alot of time to reasearch it.

- Constructing wave amplifiers instead of other maybe more important things such as security centers and such are extremely costly. When you have 100+ constructions, it adds up fast.

Well, those are about my only arguments. Just the time needed to get the scans and the money needed to be able to use it effectively. Why aren't we rewarded for researching to fleet analysis? Just a thought.

rshih 4 May 2004 06:08

Re: Fleet Analysis and XAN

mmmmmmmmmmm
Weren't we talking about this a few mins ago? oO

waffle 4 May 2004 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by rshih
mmmmmmmmmmm
Weren't we talking about this a few mins ago? oO

Yes - just wanted to get it out into the public to be talked about. :p. N00b.

Leshy 4 May 2004 09:22

You're rewarded by fleet analysis by being able to see exactly what Terran/Cathaar/Zikonians are sending at you - whether they sent along their 500 daggers, or whether those are indeed Claymores, etc.

Part of the Xandrathii advantage this round is that they cannot be fleet scanned, period.

Neferti 4 May 2004 18:46

as if xands having half-price ships wasn't advantage enough...

Gerbie 4 May 2004 19:14

Well xan is not overpowered. And adding a little gueswork is good as it makes the game interesting and unpredicable. I hope rnd 11 scans will not show too much. I want to see some heavy battles and see people run unneccesarily. Not knowing everything is part of the fun.

Neferti 4 May 2004 22:13

they are overpowered. Nasicus costs half as much as a Stalwart yet kills about as much as a Stalwart freezes

etc.

rshih 4 May 2004 23:52

Easier to kill tho.... and shoot at a slower initiative so less useful for attacking.

Ripur 7 May 2004 06:33

I can understand not getting uni scans on xan players, but to limit your mil scan to only 3 races and only for incoming fleets makes it pretty god damn useless. Xan are cheap fast powerfull and can dominate early and mid game. No sense giving them an advantage end game aswell.

Leshy 7 May 2004 14:55

I can't really say Xandrathii are an overpowering force in the universe at the moment.

They're good, but not unbalanced.

mazzelaar 7 May 2004 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leshy
I can't really say Xandrathii are an overpowering force in the universe at the moment.

They're good, but not unbalanced.

There must be some kind of imbalance otherwise the average roid count of a xan would be similar to any other planet. Everyone can see the big xans in tiny galaxies with thier roids simply down to the fact they are xan, not becuase they are suprior players. Attackers/defenders not having the ability to what fleet you have is the ultimate advantage and if scans stay the way they are then you should be looking at 60-70% of the universe being xan next round and where is the gameplay in that? Such a siginificant amount of xan in a universe will bring on bashing/overkill of vast proportions as people will send enough to kill 10 planets, never mind one.

For the simple reason of making the round vaguely interesting with different tactics required scans must show, in some way, what fleet a xan player has otherwise expect a round even duller than the current one.

Appocomaster 7 May 2004 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazzelaar
There must be some kind of imbalance otherwise the average roid count of a xan would be similar to any other planet. Everyone can see the big xans in tiny galaxies with thier roids simply down to the fact they are xan, not becuase they are suprior players. Attackers/defenders not having the ability to what fleet you have is the ultimate advantage and if scans stay the way they are then you should be looking at 60-70% of the universe being xan next round and where is the gameplay in that? Such a siginificant amount of xan in a universe will bring on bashing/overkill of vast proportions as people will send enough to kill 10 planets, never mind one.

For the simple reason of making the round vaguely interesting with different tactics required scans must show, in some way, what fleet a xan player has otherwise expect a round even duller than the current one.

agree. it's getting to the point where we pick raids, biggest ones are hulls 3 xan, and everyone goes bleh and they're always untaken. well, a few people like hitting big xans, but most don't ....

Gerbie 9 May 2004 18:42

I put some thoughts in scans and see the following options:

The main issue in scanning is what info you give about a planet and his fleets.

There's a lot of different levels and types of information:

- total amount of ships
- ships a planet can build (factories he owns) + race of the planet
- classes of ships incomming / per fleet
- number of ships incomming / per fleet
- number of ships per class (total/incomming/per fleet)
- numbers can include and/or exclude cloaked ships
- fleet per shiptype (total/incomming/per fleet)
- news scans (including battlereports)
and probably more

This can be made available at different distances (for incomming fleets and/or for planets you are heading to) from a planet, when a fleet is launched at the scanned planet etc. And it can be made available differently to different planets (allies, hostiles, defenders, galmates etc.)

I don't like exact information as this makes battles too predictable. Numbers of ships per class is more then enough information, which should not be made available in all cases/to everybody. I'd like it if scan distances could vary for different races. Ofc xan should be hardest to gain good information on.

Dakaka 26 May 2004 03:29

Who needed to scan Xans anyways :) at least not if you were terran .... be suprised waht 1k Cerbs did to a xan attack fleet. Admitedly i wasn't even in the top 500 this round so my copetition was a bit smaller then the big guys ...... But if ya had more distorters then the guy attacking ya , or even that you were attacking, you might as well have been xan yerself.... Imena comeon saying the xan were overpowered ...... lots of cheap ships that blew up really easy is all i saw on my combat reports .... tehy were the Kia's of PA

Tomkat 26 May 2004 10:25

We werent even able to see a unit scan of them in PAX.5, and noone really complained then...

fuz 27 May 2004 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neferti
they are overpowered. Nasicus costs half as much as a Stalwart yet kills about as much as a Stalwart freezes

etc.

The init 2 on stals definetly makes up for that

rshih 27 May 2004 23:37

1k cerbs was weak.. I had almost 4k imps which made attacking terrans easy as hell cuz imps would kill cerbs/hades before they shot on imps/fi. Could get free roids if only wasnt any nas/stals def.

Chika 27 May 2004 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomkat
We werent even able to see a unit scan of them in PAX.5, and noone really complained then...

people were complining their butts off. That was one of the craziest features of PAX.5 . And to add, a Unit scan is not much better, but it is definitly better than nothing. What I see happening, is xans wasting tons of resources trying to buy distorters, only to still be unit scanned at will by scanners.

Zotnam 28 May 2004 11:10

Actually, when you have alot of roids, constructions donīt get more expencive % wise than at the start, so that arguement is void for starters, other players are in the exact same situation. Xan had shitty stats except for this, I find it quit right.. and yea. any def attacking and you can recall straight away.. I tried a few times landed on weak-ish def, but it still pwned me :p