Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Planetarion Discussions (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MASSIVE abuse of Scanning (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=177461)

A2 17 May 2004 18:16

Re: MASSIVE abuse of Scanning

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuz
forum partly down for 10mins, and irc not good

Forum server isn't ours so we don't control what else goes on on it. I think it's also used to host CS maps, so could be related to that.
IRC servers aren't ours - if you wish to enquire why they've been having problems (probably dodgy routing somewhere) please visit #feds.

_o0o_ 17 May 2004 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse
If I remember correctly a bug is anything not intended by the persons who made it. And I seriously doubt that the creators intended for anyone doing 2-5 scans a second even if they didn't use scripts, which I'm finding rather unlikely.

This is precisely the point that those using the excuse "It's possible to do like 2-4 scans/secs manually, and it wasn't a bug" don't see. When you click to scan several times a second, you can not possibly have time to view the results between scans. Therefore the only reason you are doing this is because you found it was a way to get rapid score. Therefore it is an exploit...pure and simple.

If you did a scan, got the results, did another scan, got the results, and so on, then there is nothing anyone can possibly say, as you were well within your rights and the guidelines of the game. But each of you that use the aforementioned excuse are openly admitting to blatant misuse of the system.

Barrow|Pony 17 May 2004 19:03

While it may be possible to scan 5 times in a second, it is manually impossible to scan 5 different planets in one second.

Forest 17 May 2004 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffle
I'm sorry Forest, but you are wrong. You go try clicking your mouse about 5 times a second. It is clearly possible for someone to do this. Get off of the scripts idea, because we didn't use em. Get off of your high trip on catching cheaters.

1) reread my post.

2) read it again.

3) realise that what u did was against the spirit of the game (as admitted by your gal mates), unfair, broke a game that we couldnt access, and exploiting something that wasnt meant to happen.

Gerbie 17 May 2004 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal2112
Gerbie you come across hypocrite here. Wasn't it you last round who decided to just covert op resources all round to try to get the #1 position in the end by spending all your resources gained in the last couple of ticks? Yes you did; a valid strategy because the covert opping and resource capping formulas allowed it.

Yes I was the guy that cov opped like that.
Quote:

However after a couple of weeks PA team changed the formulas because they seemed to be 'unbalanced'.
Indd they did.
Quote:

- Spinner did not remove your resources you gained from what appaeared to be an 'imbalance' in the game. However you had time to use this 'imbalance' to gain a lot of resources for some reason Spinner thought it was okay just to change the formulas a bit; so what justifies taking away xp/resources this time?
They did take away my ability to get anywhere in the game though. I could only mine 50 roids max. So even if I built ships and started attacking I wouldn't have gotten far.
Quote:

- Spinner had been confronted with this but denied the fact this could be true. I wonder if he even bothered to verify this by testing this but I have to assume NO HE DID NOT. This makes me believe now that he actually found out it's true he took measures like remove peoples XP just to cover up for his own incompetence earlier when he should have investigated it.

You can't expect Spinner to do everything and follow every lead. It's not like he's got all the time in the world. It might be hard to believe, but he's human.
Quote:

- Didn't you store all the covert opped resources in the fund in R10? Yeah, and that's because Spinner knew he should put a cap on the resource fund but he didn't want to change it midround and affect a lot of players, why the hell would he do that now and 2 days before round end?
He did change things midround that effectively put me out of the round. Did I whine about it?
He did the right thing then and he's doing the right thing now. There won't be much of a round end with the servers down all the time.

Forest 17 May 2004 20:32

Jackel,

Gerbie used a legitimate tactic that had to be worked on hard. Making sure right targets, being able to scan at correct times.

These guys abused the game to grow big which took no work, could get them big pretty much when they wanted and was an exploitation.

Barrow|Pony 17 May 2004 20:42

Forest - you're shooting yourself in the foot here.

Forest 17 May 2004 20:45

Barrow not at all.

Gerbies tactic was completely valid, though overpowered, which he admitted and which he agreed to the change without whining,

The ppl who got caught using the scan thing, were delieberetly exploiting.

Barrow|Pony 17 May 2004 20:49

As opposed to Gerbie - who did it accidentally?

Forest 17 May 2004 21:02

Now he did it on purpose, but he did it in a way that was part of the game.

Covert ops are part of the game.

Pressing f5 300 times repeatedly is not.

There really should be no discussion on that :)

The Kulz 17 May 2004 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal
Now I have done some scanning for XP, but I did newsc scans and each scan was on a different planet, and I did leave long enough between each scan to skim read it.

Christ Kal, you could atleast try to be honest. You've been abusing this for weeks.

Barrow|Pony 17 May 2004 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kulz
Christ Kal, you could atleast try to be honest. You've been abusing this for weeks.

Wouldn't that be ironic?

Kal 17 May 2004 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrow|Pony
Wouldn't that be ironic?

weeks? check the gal channel logs, WE didn't know about it for weeks, and I have barely logged into my account in the last week - and i actually did read my news scans as you would again know if u read the gal channel logs...

My point is that i have nothing against people doign lots of scans if they have some kind of use however small - its holding F5 I have a problem with.

Barrow|Pony 17 May 2004 22:19

What happened then?

The Kulz 17 May 2004 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal
weeks? check the gal channel logs, WE didn't know about it for weeks, and I have barely logged into my account in the last week - and i actually did read my news scans as you would again know if u read the gal channel logs...

hmm lets see, there's you telling us to stop building ships, you telling us we only need to scan one planet over and over, you telling us we can scan our way to the top, you telling us to keep it super top secret and not to tell another soul ever!

Nadar 17 May 2004 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kulz
hmm lets see, there's you telling us to stop building ships, you telling us we only need to scan one planet over and over, you telling us we can scan our way to the top, you telling us to keep it super top secret and not to tell another soul ever!

Nope.. he never told us to scan one planet over and over again.. only that we should use 1 scan per planet, which shouldn't be a problem really..

waffle 17 May 2004 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest
Now he did it on purpose, but he did it in a way that was part of the game.

Covert ops are part of the game.

Pressing f5 300 times repeatedly is not.

There really should be no discussion on that :)

Scanning is part of the game, and that is what we did. We scanned planets.

And you're right, there really should be no discussion on that. :).

Kal 17 May 2004 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadar
Nope.. he never told us to scan one planet over and over again.. only that we should use 1 scan per planet, which shouldn't be a problem really..

especially if u read the scans - which i might add are actually interesting if u comapre say news scnas on top 10 gals with really low ranked gals - people should have a look for themselves - although now i assume that would cost so know one will. But in general i found that being a top rnaked gal is about the same as a bottom ranked gal - nothing happens - i.e. u are bored out of your mind - the middle is where the action is. (it says something abotu my brian theese days that i needed to do news scans to work that out)

Sonny 19 May 2004 01:38

Playmates still win the game.

Nothing good came from the change. Only the angering of hundreds of players.
Whether you agree with the fact scanning was able to be used to get cheap score or not, means nothing. The fact was, that is how the game was opened to the public, and had been that way for rounds.

Playmates idled for 25% of the round, this can be verified by galaxy history graphs, and at the time we began idling we were almost 50% bigger than anyone else in the universe.

We chose to idle because we had no reason to put our ships in danger for losses which were to going to not help us get anywhere. We had already won, both in combat and in the greater sense of the round.

The twisting of the game by all those not on the top achieved nothing, although I applaud your attempts at trying to deny Playmates of their rightful #1 position.

Justice prevails.

Cordially,
Sonny.

Jonas 19 May 2004 11:49

I welcome old score system back \o/

Spaced 19 May 2004 23:01

Spinner should have accepted there was a bug in the system and knowing ppl had used it, fixed it for the next round. He shouldnt have punished those who had done it as they havent broke any rules or violated the user agreement. Shame on u Spinner.