Planetarion Forums

Planetarion Forums (https://pirate.planetarion.com/index.php)
-   Programming and Discussion (https://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   That bloody MyDoom worm... (https://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=174845)

meglamaniac 29 Jan 2004 15:05

That bloody MyDoom worm...

Has anyone else had it yet?
I've had a first hand look at it, and it doesn't hang about.
4 of the machines (out of 10) in our house contracted it after it got delivered to one person who reckons Outlook (not express) autoran the attachment. Clever.
In the 2 minutes between the machine booting up and me working out what was wrong with it (it's owner didn't know) it had sent about 80 emails. To make matters worse, NTL (due to one of my housemates not paying the bill) then chose that moment to cut off our cable line so we couldn't get the fix till we rang them up and got it reinstated.

On the bright side, all the machines running Norton AV stopped it, and the linux machines were immune from the code but bogged down by quite a few emails.
With that sort of bulk email transmission I'm not surprised it's now reckoned to be the fastest spreading virus ever - at one point it was nearly impossible to use the cable line until I put in a few temporary firewall rules to block all outgoing email, those 4 machines were sending so much.

pablissimo 29 Jan 2004 15:17

Re: That bloody MyDoom worm...

I've not received an email with it yet, and if I were you I'd execute the person who opened the attachment.

JetLinus 29 Jan 2004 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac
To make matters worse, NTL (due to one of my housemates not paying the bill) then chose that moment to cut off our cable line so we couldn't get the fix till we rang them up and got it reinstated.

Be happy that you COULD get the fix... I've heard of variants that modify your hosts-file, to redirect / block websites of antivirus-software and security / fixes pages... Now _that's_ what I call mean (although I did expect this trick to occur once.....)!

meglamaniac 29 Jan 2004 16:29

Heh, sneaky.
Well as it happens I pulled the network plug on all 4 of the machines when I realised quite how badly the worm was affecting the network, and downloaded the fix on one of the linux machines then copied it over on my USB drive, so I'd have avoided that anyway.

Luckeh!!!! 29 Jan 2004 16:40

not received anything either ISP or yahoo

NEWSBOT3 29 Jan 2004 17:09

what amuses me is that if someone combined all the nasty bits from the last 5 years of pc viruses, they'd have one hell of a nasty little bugger.

Structural Integrity 29 Jan 2004 21:24

What's especially worrying is that it doesn't use any new exploits to spread. It just mails itself around and says something like "hey, open me".
Even after the enormous load of virusses we've seen the last years which do this, people still fall for it.

JetLinus 29 Jan 2004 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
..., people still fall for it.

Isn't this the mean variant again, that says something like "Subject: Mail Delivery Failed - You've received a 7bit ASCII message. There was a problem with MIME encoding, content included as binary" (or sort of). Apparently even "IT experts" (ho ho) fell for it..

Intrepid00 29 Jan 2004 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetLinus
Be happy that you COULD get the fix... I've heard of variants that modify your hosts-file, to redirect / block websites of antivirus-software and security / fixes pages... Now _that's_ what I call mean (although I did expect this trick to occur once.....)!

Right click, delete.

JetLinus 29 Jan 2004 23:28

Or remove the according lines, SURE!
1st: Get the idea to look there!
2nd: Let amateurs / n00bs / whoever find this file on them own. They need somebody to tell them where it is, what it does, that it could possibly cause this problem...
3rd: IF hostnames are put in there as IP adresses and the file contains other configuration (maybe needed for network infrastructure, i.e. intranet), someone need to figure out whats wrong with it...

Ouh, and:
If I were to make a virus, multiple instances of the program would keep on "restoring" this file. As well as regkeys for autostart etc.

A bit like NB3 said....

Mit 30 Jan 2004 00:56

Nasty begger that one, not opened any but i'm getting about 60-70 / day atm to my @planetarion.com address. Thank god for webmail :)

Phil^ 30 Jan 2004 01:08

Ive had in total 29 emails, was getting one or two every couple of mins to hours yesterday, absolutely none now. either freeserve is filtering it from mail servers or the person who was infected has had it fixed :)

Dilly_D 30 Jan 2004 04:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Has anyone else had it yet?

I'm excited about it...in 5 years, I've never ever gotten a virus...but I got it 8 times yesterday...

EXCITED!!

Luckeh!!!! 30 Jan 2004 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil^
Ive had in total 29 emails, was getting one or two every couple of mins to hours yesterday, absolutely none now. either freeserve is filtering it from mail servers or the person who was infected has had it fixed :)

I use Freeserve, and my ISP email usually gets 10-20 standard spam messages a day, recently I've had only 10 in the past 4 days, makes me think Freeserve is doing the filtering at their end.

Madina 30 Jan 2004 12:16

well done to freeserve if u ask me

Leshy 30 Jan 2004 12:54

In all this time, I've never had any of the famous virus e-mails :(

Unless I've deleted them without knowing it was them, of course :S

Raging.Retard 30 Jan 2004 19:19

Im getting 500+ a day easy. Rather annoying tbh.

flapjack 31 Jan 2004 22:34

i'm still getting all kinds of e-mail virii, luckily i don't use Outlook anymore (now using Incredimail, pm me for the url, i think posting it here might fall under the advertising clause), but indeed, outlook had the irritated feature that people could auto-run attachments to an e-mail, get the latest patches to solve that.

fortunately, my ISP has been as smart as to filter out most Mydoom virus mails supposedly

NEWSBOT3 31 Jan 2004 22:43

i used to like incredimail, but then it started to lock up on me for no reason.

Intrepid00 9 Feb 2004 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetLinus
Or remove the according lines, SURE!
1st: Get the idea to look there!
2nd: Let amateurs / n00bs / whoever find this file on them own. They need somebody to tell them where it is, what it does, that it could possibly cause this problem...
3rd: IF hostnames are put in there as IP adresses and the file contains other configuration (maybe needed for network infrastructure, i.e. intranet), someone need to figure out whats wrong with it...

Ouh, and:
If I were to make a virus, multiple instances of the program would keep on "restoring" this file. As well as regkeys for autostart etc.

A bit like NB3 said....

Safe mode with network usually kills that.